M35 and X80

BM5 via Woodhaven

UPDATE ON X81: I spoke to a representative of the MTA, and I asked him about the X81, and he said it was discontinued. So there will be no more X81. My it rest in Peace. It appears that the X81 was not totally discontinued after it last ran but in 2010 it was discontinued for good I suppose. It was a service cut that was never told.

UPDATE ON X81: I spoke to a representative of the MTA, and I asked him about the X81, and he said it was discontinued. So there will be no more X81. My it rest in Peace. It appears that the X81 was not totally discontinued after it last ran but in 2010 it was discontinued for good I suppose. It was a service cut that was never told.

Then the information on Wikipedia is WRONG...I think I'll go update it.

Nice catch of the X80. However, what is the purpose of the X80 that the M35 can't fulfill? I know it's running for Electric Zoo, but still.

I wonder that too. It's not like the X80 is just an express bus like the other ones.

The M35 is actually full on special event days. The reason is Randalls Island residents dont want those people taking their "precious bus space" since during non special days it is merely empty. However the reason is that the MTA wants to advocate for people to use the X80, which would get them non stop. The X80 takes 7 minutes to get to Randalls Island compared the M35 which is 16 minutes. Its the same reason like the S79 SBS that the MTA does to the X80. Not once in any notice does it say X80. Also the X80 doesnt share a single stop with the M35, so thats practically. They dont want people to know and going back to Harlem you dont have to pay compared to the M35. Most people hangout there for like 3 hours or something, so its like lurely them. Besides the people want direct service not multiple stops being made. Also the X80 operates later than the M35. The X80 also operates more frequent then the M35, being the X80 has 5-7 minute headways. Also the M35 is running several RTS' today so it wont make sense to crushload people on one bus. Everytime the X80 runs the M35 uses RTS' on some trips since there will be a shortage of D60's, which the M15 today and tomorrow will be mostly D60s, the SBS buses might run with regular LFSA's at some points, since there is a huge shortage of headways because the the amount of X80s. There are about 8-15 buses per hour on the X80, compared to 6-9 on the M35

Good catches here, nice stuff.

The M35 is actually full on special event days. The reason is Randalls Island residents dont want those people taking their "precious bus space" since during non special days it is merely empty. However the reason is that the MTA wants to advocate for people to use the X80, which would get them non stop. The X80 takes 7 minutes to get to Randalls Island compared the M35 which is 16 minutes. Its the same reason like the S79 SBS that the MTA does to the X80. Not once in any notice does it say X80. Also the X80 doesnt share a single stop with the M35, so thats practically. They dont want people to know and going back to Harlem you dont have to pay compared to the M35. Most people hangout there for like 3 hours or something, so its like lurely them. Besides the people want direct service not multiple stops being made. Also the X80 operates later than the M35. The X80 also operates more frequent then the M35, being the X80 has 5-7 minute headways. Also the M35 is running several RTS' today so it wont make sense to crushload people on one bus. Everytime the X80 runs the M35 uses RTS' on some trips since there will be a shortage of D60's, which the M15 today and tomorrow will be mostly D60s, the SBS buses might run with regular LFSA's at some points, since there is a huge shortage of headways because the the amount of X80s. There are about 8-15 buses per hour on the X80, compared to 6-9 on the M35

Yeah, nobody wants to get on the M35. I know I keep off that bus like the plague. They run a lot of RTSes on it though, even without the x80.

Doesn't the fare of the round trip of either the M35 OR X80 break even?

Not quite; a round trip on the X80 is $5.50 (fare collected on leaving Manhattan but not on leaving the island), while the same trip on the M35 is $4.50 (one fare collected each way). The cheapest way to go is the M35 out and the X80 back, for a grand total of $2.25.

Archived