So why do some cars drive in the bus lane?

SomeGuy

Are the words ''BUS LANE'' not to hard to see? I can understand if people switch to the bus lane for example: If there is traffic up ahead I usually see some car drivers switch to the bus lane. Lol does this show that people really don't give a sh** about bus lanes? Do you think something should be done about it or should we just let is pass?

Please discuss.

What's even more annoying is when you're driving a car and there's nobody at all in the bus lane, yet an M15 SBS decides to cut you off and take up the two middle lanes while only doing about 20mph, forcing you to drive in the bus lane to pass.

A lot of the time also while riding the M15 SBS I notice that the driver will never use the bus lane, yet cars will use the bus lane to pass and occasionally honk the bus for driving like a moron.

Well you do have to realize, besides violations ,there are signs posted on WHEN cars are not allowed to use the Bus Lanes. Other times is OK. If your making a turn, thats the only exception, if its during a time that you can drive through the lane, you can drive or even park if needed. So I don't see a problem, as long as the law is obeyed.

What's even more annoying is when you're driving a car and there's nobody at all in the bus lane, yet an M15 SBS decides to cut you off and take up the two middle lanes while only doing about 20mph, forcing you to drive in the bus lane to pass.

A lot of the time also while riding the M15 SBS I notice that the driver will never use the bus lane, yet cars will use the bus lane to pass and occasionally honk the bus for driving like a moron.

We have more of a parking problem than a passing problem on the Bx12's bus lanes. Cars, livery cabs, and even the occasional cop car. The only part of the bus lane B/O's consistently use is between Crotona and Fordham Plaza heading west.

We have more of a parking problem than a passing problem on the Bx12's bus lanes. Cars, livery cabs, and even the occasional cop car. The only part of the bus lane B/O's consistently use is between Crotona and Fordham Plaza heading west.

one solution be an asshat cop and go field day towing their stupid asses. TOW frenzy. If I were a traffic cop I would go on a ticketing frenzy rampage on fordham. Field day ticketing spree bitches pay up.

If they argue I will ignore em and just call the tow next time.

I've noticed that they do this sometimes to avoid getting cut off by people trying to make right turns

This will usually happen when the cars are in the bus lane trying to make a right turn and they are waiting on thye people to cross the street....in Manhattan seems the people walk slower when crossing the street and NEVER I MEAN NEVER let the car turn they will run to the intersection and then walk slow as hell to cross the street......

If you ask me there should be no bus lanes.. a better solution would be to get rid of the bike lanes

Ignoring the fact that bus lanes are a full lane and bike lanes are tiny, why would that smooth travel at all? You're just gonna have bikers going down the middle of the street? City would be like a mound of smushed biker and crashed cars.

Are the words ''BUS LANE'' not to hard to see? I can understand if people switch to the bus lane for example: If there is traffic up ahead I usually see some car drivers switch to the bus lane. Lol does this show that people really don't give a sh** about bus lanes? Do you think something should be done about it or should we just let is pass?

Please discuss.

You're allowed to use the bus lane when making a turn and when the lane is not in active use (posted times)

Some people are not from the city: They do not know what bus lane means, also there is a bus lane on Broadway south of 14th that all cars use, The paint for the lane is faded away, my guess is that it was for express buses.

That still may not be an excuse to be on the lanes, especially with signs posted around. Drivers should know what a "BUS" is. The only flaw I see is DOT not properly maintaining the lanes. With the lanes pinkish color fading away or gone, it may confuse certain drivers on where the lane is at.

Ignoring the fact that bus lanes are a full lane and bike lanes are tiny, why would that smooth travel at all? You're just gonna have bikers going down the middle of the street? City would be like a mound of smushed biker and crashed cars.

Damn it, the limit is reached! "You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day".

anybody who brings a car into manhattan is more than an idiot the stupidity is over 9000 for these fools. Imbiciles like that are one of the reasons why PM rush is hell for NJT bus riders bound for ny PABT.

What the hell are you talking about...

So if people bringing cars into Manattan are stupid, then the people who built the bridges that connect to Manhattan must be 15 kinds of retarded

anybody who brings a car into manhattan is more than an idiot the stupidity is over 9000 for these fools. Imbiciles like that are one of the reasons why PM rush is hell for NJT bus riders bound for ny PABT.

Im not gonna say every driver is stupid. While the city does encourage the use of Mass Transit, drivers have a right to also be in Manhattan streets. Just gotta obey the law. (Even tho SOME don't)

I live in Manhattan and own a car, therefore I'm the retard and you're the Einstein. There's so many cases in which driving is over 5 times faster than taking public transportation, and so much more convenient when I'm trying to transport luggage or packages.

For example, let's say that someone needs to go from 83rd and East End to 60th and West End. I don't even know how I'd do that with public transportation. M31 and walk 3 blocks? That would take close to an hour, whereas driving would take under 20 minutes, and finding a spot within a block shouldn't be too difficult during the day.

a wise man once said, "it's better to be quiet and thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Unfortuaitly in your case, this seems to happen all too often.

that being said, people have the right to chose their prefered method of transportation based on thier needs, not yours. How'd you like it if someone got on your bus with a pile of Ikea flat packs, or on the train with a new toilet from Home Depot? there are circumstances where public transit is completly out of the question, and we must accept and allow for these to occur. The quckest way for me to get to anything in northen NJ is to drive across lower Manhattan to the holland tunnel. does that make me an idiot?

I say it makes me a genius, since I only have to pay the tunnel toll coming back, instead of the TBTA tolls if I kept to the highways.

Heck, taking the streets up to the harlem river bridges is the only way I can get to the mainland for free, so I'd say I have a right to take a car into manhattan.

a wise man once said, "it's better to be quiet and thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Unfortuaitly in your case, this seems to happen all too often.

that being said, people have the right to chose their prefered method of transportation based on thier needs, not yours. How'd you like it if someone got on your bus with a pile of Ikea flat packs, or on the train with a new toilet from Home Depot? there are circumstances where public transit is completly out of the question, and we must accept and allow for these to occur. The quckest way for me to get to anything in northen NJ is to drive across lower Manhattan to the holland tunnel. does that make me an idiot?

I say it makes me a genius, since I only have to pay the tunnel toll coming back, instead of the TBTA tolls if I kept to the highways.

Heck, taking the streets up to the harlem river bridges is the only way I can get to the mainland for free, so I'd say I have a right to take a car into manhattan.

As soon as I read that first line I literally burst into laughter. That was perfect.

The example you mentioned also hits the nail right on the head. People like qjt are saying that you should never use a car, yet he'd probably be the first one to complain if someone took over half a subway car during rush hour with their huge boxes, pieces of wood, or other stuff that you would never even think of bringing on the train.

--

Also, you drive through Lower Manhattan to get to the Holland? Where are you coming from? I haven't gone out to Jersey for a while, but from the Upper East Side I would just hop on the FDR and loop around up to the West Side Highway to the tunnel. There's never any traffic that way, and you can catch the FDR from whichever borough you're coming from.

Archived