Report on PABT Lateness (WSJ as Heard on 1010 Wins too)

NoHuBus

online.wsj.com/article/AP15c643c6395244e5953c4ec539a5dab9.html?KEYWORDS=nj+transit

Well no surprise it is late and the usual suspects are 161 and 193x and one out 10 buses get out of terminal late. Again no surpirse and by 25 years the growth will continue up to 34%. Most will say " no duuuuuuh" but it highlights the debate and discourse of what to do to make that corridor more acessible and more friendly on ariival and deparature,

I am honored that my bus has the worst on-time performance (I'm forwarding this article to my boss :P)

Anyways, fixing the 161:

a) I'm not sure how the move to Gate 406 helps to improve performance from Gate 303, other than some quicker off-loading of passengers in the morning rush hour from other buses. Maybe in the PM? But I have noticed that the Passaic Bus Terminal bus creates confusion.

b) Off-Hours and on weekends: NY-bound, NJT should look into speeding up performance between Paterson and Teterboro. I have been on many PM buses where I have noticed there were over 50+ fare collections yet when I board in Moonachie, just around 20 people on the bus. My belief is that the passenger boarding/discharge activity delays the buses ( I have had waits in excess of 45 minutes on weekends).

c) On fare collection, particularly for buses traveling via Union City, New Jersey Transit should market their monthly passes to the community. As mentioned in earlier posts, on AM buses (the 7:15 a PABT to Teterboro is terrible for this), buses can be held for up to 10 minutes to accommodate the folks paying cash! Remember these buses are packed (up to 62 people consistently).\

d) I am writing to NJ Transit about this, but I think they should route some PM buses to/from Secaucus Junction instead of New York via Union City. Again, I don't know if there are bus lanes or the turnstiles at SEC are able to accommodate buses and be configured to read the monthly passes. Also, NJT would have to determine if folks would be willing to accept a two-seat commute (I would). In my opinion, if buses can be accommodated,at this time I think that the SEC potential is underutilized.

e) As for the idea of joint-NY Waterway/NJT passes. I don't think it is a good idea. The cost of NY Waterway monthly is very high $358.50 vs. $136 for 3-zone NJT ticket. Factor in NYC Subway, walking to the pier from a subway or figuring out the shuttle buses - this option looks unattractive to me.

f) Make some schedule adjustments where the turn-around for late PM outbound buses. The 11:00pm when I used to work nights showed up on more than one occasion at 11:20pm.

I am honored that my bus has the worst on-time performance (I'm forwarding this article to my boss :P)

Anyways, fixing the 161:

a) I'm not sure how the move to Gate 406 helps to improve performance from Gate 303, other than some quicker off-loading of passengers in the morning rush hour from other buses. Maybe in the PM? But I have noticed that the Passaic Bus Terminal bus creates confusion.

b) Off-Hours and on weekends: NY-bound, NJT should look into speeding up performance between Paterson and Teterboro. I have been on many PM buses where I have noticed there were over 50+ fare collections yet when I board in Moonachie, just around 20 people on the bus. My belief is that the passenger boarding/discharge activity delays the buses ( I have had waits in excess of 45 minutes on weekends).

c) On fare collection, particularly for buses traveling via Union City, New Jersey Transit should market their monthly passes to the community. As mentioned in earlier posts, on AM buses (the 7:15 a PABT to Teterboro is terrible for this), buses can be held for up to 10 minutes to accommodate the folks paying cash! Remember these buses are packed (up to 62 people consistently).\

d) I am writing to NJ Transit about this, but I think they should route some PM buses to/from Secaucus Junction instead of New York via Union City. Again, I don't know if there are bus lanes or the turnstiles at SEC are able to accommodate buses and be configured to read the monthly passes. Also, NJT would have to determine if folks would be willing to accept a two-seat commute (I would). In my opinion, if buses can be accommodated,at this time I think that the SEC potential is underutilized.

[{{{(The Rt 772 line at one time ran to Secaucus Junction!)}}}]

e) As for the idea of joint-NY Waterway/NJT passes. I don't think it is a good idea. The cost of NY Waterway monthly is very high $358.50 vs. $136 for 3-zone NJT ticket. Factor in NYC Subway, walking to the pier from a subway or figuring out the shuttle buses - this option looks unattractive to me.

f) Make some schedule adjustments where the turn-around for late PM outbound buses. The 11:00pm when I used to work nights showed up on more than one occasion at 11:20pm.

One time I arrived @ 8:30 PM and waited In Little Ferry @ Main & Liberty for a 161 PATERSON. There was suppose to be a bus @ 8:38 PM & 8:58 PM. I did not catch a bus until 9:10 PM!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My close friend (who is a bus operator out of Meadowlands garage), told me that if the traffic by PABT is really bad, the Port Authority police will direct the buses downtown (and then they have to come back uptown to get into PABT again). Any operators here have that experience?

Archived