Why do so many Bronx local buses go to Manhattan?

Via Garibaldi 8

Isn't the major reason for all of this historic precedent? The trolleys and early bus routes went from upper Manhattan to the Bronx just like today's routes do and the neighborhoods grew up around this service. The Brooklyn trolley routes that did cross the river to Manhattan were replaced early on by the BMT subway system, and much of Queens was undeveloped when the elevated lines and IND were built. The ex-Queens Surface (Steinway) bus routes only went to 2nd Ave. because that's where the city decided they would go and MTA Bus probably has no desire to increase its operating expense by expanding those routes further into Midtown.

I don't see why if MTA Bus is currently reimbursed by the city ... If the city really liked the idea and it could benefit the city overall I say why not do it? The increased costs could be off set with more tax revenues coming in.

I don't see why if MTA Bus is currently reimbursed by the city ... If the city really liked the idea and it could benefit the city overall I say why not do it? The increased costs could be off set with more tax revenues coming in.

What is the likelihood that the ex-Steinway routes would generate additional ridership, though? If the current passengers just stay on the bus to Midtown, then all you've done is increase your operating expenses with no corresponding increase in revenue. An MTA bus costs almost $200 an hour on average to operate.

Qtrainjmaster, express buses are higher fare for reason. Regular express bus riders properly don't want to deal with local bus passengers.

Some express buses are good amount from my experience with LGA B/O friend who used to drive QM24 via 3rd Av got loaded, and X23 Atlantic Express, last AM bus to Midtown was also CRUSH LOADED and SRO, some express buses are busy especially during rush hour.

Some people pays for express bus ride because it's relaxing on suburban seat and comfortable than local bus.

It's just like Hampton Jitney, even thought I never taken, Hampton Jitney is luxury express for rich people in further east in Suffolk County.

Again SI does NOT need local buses going to manhattan. Brooklyn does not need local buses to manhattan except maybe to redhook or area by the B61 or union that is it. No local buses deep into queens or brooklyn need manhattan subways and express buses are for that. I used the hampton Jitney it is used NOT just by rich people but by most people with no choice MTA LIRR service there is COMPLETE SHIT THERE IS NO OTHER CHOICE BUT TO USE JITNEY!!!!!!!! Even regular income folk use the jitney because LIRR service is a complete atrocity too shitty to use. I see some people my age using the jitney witness this all come to an end in 2014 when LIRR decides to get real by adding service. I know jitney people have no choice ohh at off peak it is also faster than the LIRR as well.

Again SI does NOT need local buses going to manhattan. Brooklyn does not need local buses to manhattan except maybe to redhook or area by the B61 or union that is it. No local buses deep into queens or brooklyn need manhattan subways and express buses are for that. I used the hampton Jitney it is used NOT just by rich people but by most people with no choice MTA LIRR service there is COMPLETE SHIT THERE IS NO OTHER CHOICE BUT TO USE JITNEY!!!!!!!! Even regular income folk use the jitney because LIRR service is a complete atrocity too shitty to use. I see some people my age using the jitney witness this all come to an end in 2014 when LIRR decides to get real by adding service. I know jitney people have no choice ohh at off peak it is also faster than the LIRR as well.

tumblr_m9v4ath2ka1qh01dx.jpg

tumblr_m9v4ath2ka1qh01dx.jpg

Hmm well you can always PM checkmate13 to translate for you as you seem well lost and clueless. I don't feel like simplifying such an easy concept. In a nutshell Hampton jitney gets many kinds of people due to horrid LIRR service. And

Brooklyn local routes not near manhattan or duplicative of subways with a few exceptions do not need to go to manhattan

No Staten island locals should touch manhattan as express buses are for that any excuse justifing SI locaks in manhattan is most likely utter bullshit.

Was that easy enough to read or should I get a translator for you. No disrespect but you can't be that off can you? Otherwise let's get back to the topic as nothing needs to be said.

Hmm well you can always PM checkmate13 to translate for you as you seem well lost and clueless. I don't feel like simplifying such an easy concept. In a nutshell Hampton jitney gets many kinds of people due to horrid LIRR service. And

Brooklyn local routes not near manhattan or duplicative of subways with a few exceptions do not need to go to manhattan

No Staten island locals should touch manhattan as express buses are for that any excuse justifing SI locaks in manhattan is most likely utter bullshit.

Was that easy enough to read or should I get a translator for you. No disrespect but you can't be that off can you? Otherwise let's get back to the topic as nothing needs to be said.

Words of advice. Don't take your anger out on your keyboard.

What is the likelihood that the ex-Steinway routes would generate additional ridership, though? If the current passengers just stay on the bus to Midtown, then all you've done is increase your operating expenses with no corresponding increase in revenue. An MTA bus costs almost $200 an hour on average to operate.

But who is to say that it couldn't generate additional ridership? The Q32 even with its so called traffic issues for example seems to do quite well in terms of ridership. I'm not saying they need as many local buses as the Bronx does, but certainly there are some areas that would benefit tremendously from the buses going into the city.

Everyone else was on topic except you

But who is to say that it couldn't generate additional ridership? The Q32 even with its so called traffic issues for example seems to do quite well in terms of ridership. I'm not saying they need as many local buses as the Bronx does, but certainly there are some areas that would benefit tremendously from the buses going into the city.

I never said anything about Q32 Q32's structure is quite different. It does not hit outer territory nothing wrong with it. If you want speed get the lucky (7).

Going back to the topic, I like how the Bronx-Upper Manhattan bus connection has contributed to the growth of some of the most entrenched minority communities.

Let's take the Dominicans as an example. After settling initially in Washington Heights in the late 1960s (following the death of dictator Rafael Trujillo, which resulted in poor post-Trujillo economy and political tension), later immigrants settled in the Bronx at a time where rents were low due to the constant arson fires lowered property values across the South Bronx.

What I noticed as a youngster in the early-mid 1990s was that many of the Bronx Dominicans were near Washington Heights (mostly near the bus routes that ran along 181st Street, primarlily the Bx3 -- the University Avenue bus). Thus, the high concentration along University Avenue between 174th St and Kingsbridge Road.

As I grew into a teenager in the early 2000s, Dominicans were growing quickly in the Bronx. For those five bus routes on 181st St, I would see Dominicans residing as far east as Boston Road (on the Bx35/11). In addition, what surprised me even further was their migration into the Kingsbridge area (along 231st St (1) station). This growth correlates with many Puerto Ricans and African-Americans moving out of the southern and western portions of the Bronx, along with a few whites in the northwest.

Thanks to the fact that the bridges connecting Upper Manhattan to the western Bronx are "extensions of local roads," it has allowed for this tremendous growth to occur.

As for the reason why, it's a psychological thing. As a youngster, I felt that 207th St in Inwood was an extension of Fordham Road in the Bronx because of both the bridge and the Bx12 bus running along the corridor.

Going back to the topic, I like how the Bronx-Upper Manhattan bus connection has contributed to the growth of some of the most entrenched minority communities.

Let's take the Dominicans as an example. After settling initially in Washington Heights in the late 1960s (following the death of dictator Rafael Trujillo, which resulted in poor post-Trujillo economy and political tension), later immigrants settled in the Bronx at a time where rents were low due to the constant arson fires lowered property values across the South Bronx.

What I noticed as a youngster in the early-mid 1990s was that many of the Bronx Dominicans were near Washington Heights (mostly near the bus routes that ran along 181st Street, primarlily the Bx3 -- the University Avenue bus). Thus, the high concentration along University Avenue between 174th St and Kingsbridge Road.

As I grew into a teenager in the early 2000s, Dominicans were growing quickly in the Bronx. For those five bus routes on 181st St, I would see Dominicans residing as far east as Boston Road (on the Bx35/11). In addition, what surprised me even further was their migration into the Kingsbridge area (along 231st St (1) station). This growth correlates with many Puerto Ricans and African-Americans moving out of the southern and western portions of the Bronx, along with a few whites in the northwest.

Thanks to the fact that the bridges connecting Upper Manhattan to the western Bronx are "extensions of local roads," it has allowed for this tremendous growth to occur.

As for the reason why, it's a psychological thing. As a youngster, I felt that 207th St in Inwood was an extension of Fordham Road in the Bronx because of both the bridge and the Bx12 bus running along the corridor.

Interesting analysis... As a South Brooklyn native, I always felt like Brooklyn was seen as the closest borough to Manhattan, and still to a degree this seems to be marketed from a housing point of view... "Easy access to Manhattan, etc..." I've been living in Riverdale since March and I don't feel all that connected to Manhattan, though it is close by on the express bus and MetroNorth. It could have to do with it feeling more remote/suburban. I think that if I lived in parts of the Bronx like say Country Club, Throggs Neck, Schuylerville, Pelham Bay or City Island I would say the same thing, but perhaps the urban areas of the Bronx have a different vibe...

Interesting analysis... As a South Brooklyn native, I always felt like Brooklyn was seen as the closest borough to Manhattan, and still to a degree this seems to be marketed from a housing point of view... "Easy access to Manhattan, etc..." I've been living in Riverdale since March and I don't feel all that connected to Manhattan, though it is close by on the express bus and MetroNorth. It could have to do with it feeling more remote/suburban. I think that if I lived in parts of the Bronx like say Country Club, Throggs Neck, Schuylerville, Pelham Bay or City Island I would say the same thing, but perhaps the urban areas of the Bronx have a different vibe...

Remember, not every neighborhood has that close of a connection to Manhattan. Places like Riverdale and others are best known to be the exact opposite to Manhattan, where people only head to that borough for work and spend the weekends either within their home neighborhood or in a nearby suburb (either for shopping, visiting families, or other things).

Remember, not every neighborhood has that close of a connection to Manhattan. Places like Riverdale and others are best known to be the exact opposite to Manhattan, where people only head to that borough for work and spend the weekends either within their home neighborhood or in a nearby suburb (either for shopping, visiting families, or other things).

Very true... I'm either in Riverdale or Manhattan and eventually will start venturing up to Westchester since I have a few buddies up there.

Bx12 and SBS serves Fordham Shopping District, Co-Op City with Bay Plaza Mall/Bartow Av Mall, major transfer points at Pelham Bay Park, Jacobi Hospital, Bronx Zoo, NY Botanical Garden, Fordham Plaza hub with MNRR/Bus, White Plains Rd district, Fordham Rd districts, and Inwood neighborhood.

Very true... I'm either in Riverdale or Manhattan and eventually will start venturing up to Westchester since I have a few buddies up there.

The same thing occurs in Morris Park and Throggs Neck, which is evident in lower weekend usage at some subway stations like the Morris Park and Pelham Parkway (5) stations.

Yeah pretty much on the money here this is one of the reasons why I treat GWB Bx routes like bx3,36,11&35 like upper manhattan crosstowns. Bx12&35 feel like upper manhattan crosstowns as they link the (4) with washington heights. You are very tune with the bronx are you not?

Archived