Bus Depot Reputations on maintenance and various other stuff

BreeddekalbL

I would like to know the reputations about various depots regarding maintainence and various other stuff around the system and most importantly i would like to know what the reputation of my home depot Fresh Pond is?

I also know that the 2 SI depots have been reputably been known to have poor maintenance hence the name yuckon and casltles**t or castlecrap (before Charleston and Meredith existed)

Since I ride Fresh Pond buses every day, I'd have you know that the maintenance is above average, and the B/O's are nice too. Another hated depot is Gun Crap... (Gun Hill)

and what is grand ave like since that would also be my other home depot since my home route was the B38

Fellas, liking not liking a few few B/Os isn't a reputation.

The vast majority of NYCT and MTA Bus depots meet standards for riders. There are a few depots that are notorious for badly maintained buses like LaGuardia, Tuskegee (improving), and from time to time Gun Hill and/or Castleton (though it's improving as well). College Point also has a reputation for breakdowns, even if part of that was due to the extremely old fleet that it had. It's hard to talk about operators as there're plenty of good and bad ops at every depot, so that's not something you could really generalize. Michael J. Quill, 126th Street, East New York, and Grand Avenue are known for having some of the best-maintained buses in the fleet. That's about as much as I can tell you when it comes to a real reputation.

Since I ride Fresh Pond buses every day, I'd have you know that the maintenance is above average, and the B/O's are nice too. Another hated depot is Gun Crap... (Gun Hill)

The Pond has improved now that they have NGs which replaced damn near half their fleet

Fellas, liking not liking a few few B/Os isn't a reputation.

The vast majority of NYCT and MTA Bus depots meet standards for riders. There are a few depots that are notorious for badly maintained buses like LaGuardia, Tuskegee (improving), and from time to time Gun Hill and/or Castleton (though it's improving as well). College Point also has a reputation for breakdowns, even if part of that was due to the extremely old fleet that it had. It's hard to talk about operators as there're plenty of good and bad ops at every depot, so that's not something you could really generalize. Michael J. Quill, 126th Street, East New York, and Grand Avenue are known for having some of the best-maintained buses in the fleet. That's about as much as I can tell you when it comes to a real reputation.

what about Yukon/yuckon?

Flatbush Depot's Maintenance Workers maintain their buses well and was done the way their passengers wanted! Their Orion 7 Next Generation Hybrids and their RTS's ran in good shape mostly, and less breakdowns. I've rode the Hybrid on the B41 and honestly the bus ran into good shape, didn't make any unusual noises and things. Keep in note that it's not just Flatbush Depot with the best maintenance, can be others like Grand Av, Michael J. Quill, East New York, and more.

As I viewed into this forums, I've seen users in this forum saying that the LaGuardia Depot, Tuskegee Airmen, JFK, Gun Hill (as Threxx mentioned above), and more depots has bad, horrible maintenance. I have to agree that these depot have bad maintenance on their buses cause of the breakdowns, rust, particles on buses don't look right, and more! That's not good for the economy and for the passengers.

You said your home route is the B38. They serve Grand Av and Fresh Pond Depot, Grand Av has good maintenance with their buses and Fresh Pond is alright, but when I see their oldest RTS, I don't pretty much approve the maintenance of that bus in the depot, but it'll be gone anyways.

The thing with LGA like some had already mentioned in a previous post is that LGA dont have enough buses, so once the buses comes in its going right back out for service, now the only buses that have rust is the ex bees, now can LGA be better at the maintenance department sure they can also is LGA getting a lil bit better IMO i think so at least from when i first started until now. From what i heard about two years or so they would have about 10 + drivers that would not make pull out, now you would not see a single driver waiting for a bus to pull out. But i think LGA is getting a bit better as time fly by.

QV can be named as another Top-Notch depot. Their RTS's ride in a mature nature & despite the A/C issues with the fleet over the past couple of years the RTS otherwise are very well maintained. Trust me when I sat that it's rare to see their buses broken down on street. Their Hybrids are in better shape then they were in the past. A good amount of the NBQP Fleet ride like as of they were delivered yesterday.

As mentioned Quill is another very top notch maintenance depot. Good enough that some of their RTS didn't need an GOH as a good amount of them sound very fresh. Their NG' aren't as bumpy as some others around the system nor have I seen them backfire as I have seen with other NG's.

You say that like it's a good thing...my 1996s are gone, and FP had a real good fleet of them!

They did have a good fleet but they were breaking down faster than they could be fixed due to the age of them...eventually they had to be replaced

They did have a good fleet but they were breaking down faster than they could be fixed due to the age of them...eventually they had to be replaced

No. NG's are a pile of New Garbage. I'm tired of seeing those POS's on the B38. I want my 1996's back!

No. NG's are a pile of New Garbage. I'm tired of seeing those POS's on the B38. I want my 1996's back!

If you're tired of seeing them then stop looking at them.

whether you like it or not, those RTSs were in bad shape and had to be replaced

If you're tired of seeing them then stop looking at them.

whether you like it or not, those RTSs were in bad shape and had to be replaced

I can turn my head as much as I want, it doesn't change the fact that I have to ride that bullshit...

I can turn my head as much as I want, it doesn't change the fact that I have to ride that bullshit...

No one is forcing you to ride it...if it's that bad then walk, run, skip, do cartwheels down Lafayette, whatever floats your boat.

I say QV's hybrids have a reputation of breaking down and being slow. I say CS should of gotten those LFS's since they have LFSA's and they trade the Orion OG's since the 2004 and 2007 models are just about the same.

Staten Island has torn their Orion V's up and just accepts buses into service even if they have missing or broken parts mainly Yukon and Castleton.

Archived