Fare, or are you being taken for a ride? New taxi rates go into effect.

CPBO

I agree but taxis are here because they helped people with luggage, suitcases or sometimes delivery.

People who overshops with tons of shopping bags, or suitcases properly wouldn't take transit, because taxis/car service are easier.

Maybe, some might go over to airport shuttle bus or vans as alternative.

I think changing label on taxi from T might not be great idea because Newark Airport taxi cabs or some Long Island taxis are sometimes yellow as well, well as Yonkers Taxi

Yonkers taxi cab look exact same as current NYC Taxi Cab, instead of NYC, it says Yonkers (T)axi.

I agree but taxis are here because they helped people with luggage, suitcases or sometimes delivery.

People who overshops with tons of shopping bags, or suitcases properly wouldn't take transit, because taxis/car service are easier.

Maybe, some might go over to airport shuttle bus or vans as alternative.

I think changing label on taxi from T might not be great idea because Newark Airport taxi cabs or some Long Island taxis are sometimes yellow as well, well as Yonkers Taxi

Yonkers taxi cab look exact same as current NYC Taxi Cab, instead of NYC, it says Yonkers (T)axi.

I've seen plenty of Yonkers cabs without that, most likely cab owners up there buy used NYC cabs and replace the NYC logo with Yonkers.

I never use the cabs, and I hope they keep on raising that fare. Make more people take transit instead.

I'd much rather be in the back of an Orion 7 than the back of a Crown Vic.

I've seen plenty of Yonkers cabs without that, most likely cab owners up there buy used NYC cabs and replace the NYC logo with Yonkers.

I never use the cabs, and I hope they keep on raising that fare. Make more people take transit instead.

I'd much rather be in the back of an Orion 7 than the back of a Crown Vic.

I've used plenty of Yellow taxis and let's just say they're not worth the cost unless you really need to be somewhere really fast, you're going to meet a client, or you're hammered and can't walk to the bus or subway which has been my case at times. :lol: I find them to be really cramped and they usually don't have great AC either. If anything sometimes I'll get a black Lincoln town car instead of the yellow taxis because I get good deals with them though I believe some folks shy away from them saying that they aren't licensed or whatever. In sum I find both of them annoying though because they harass me asking me if I need a ride when I'm waiting for the express bus or trying to cross the street. When I need one though it takes forever usually to get one unless I'm not in Midtown. Then I can just wait at a corner and not even put my hand out and have one stop for me. :D

Here of late though when I've used them I've been with friends who just like hopping in yellow taxis so in those cases I'll just split the fare with them or they may just pay for all of us.

Last time i used the NYC yellow taxi was returning from my flight from San Diego(to see my family) couple of days after new years day 2012. Had couple of heavy bags and was using it from JFK to Grand Central for Metro North. Came in on a late evening at around 1130pm and we got to East Midtown in about 35 minutes. I was charged the flat rate $45 and if was a metered rate it would probably been no more than $35. Overnights at least between JFK and Manhattan it should be lower than $45 or w/e it's charged now.

Before that it was several years since i used a NYC yellow taxi. I always try to use the NJ Transit trains to Newark or the subway/airtrain combos to JFK.

Thus when in Manhattan even hanging at sports bars around Times Sq. and the east village on occasion, i just get my butt on the subway or walk to MNRR and save a few bucks.

Wait, so this is the thread that prompted the suggestion of creating a new forum for taxi's.....

As for this thread itself, people have long been "taken for a ride" before the increased rates.....

Let those fraile, timid, white women (and tourists in general that don't know no better) continue taking those dam yellow cabs & pissing away their money.....

This is great!!! let them keep raising the fare....maybe we will have a day no more taxis in the city!! people talk about transit being over priced.....let the complaining begin!!

I think there are a lot more people using transit than using taxis, so obviously there's going to be more outcry when you're raising transit fares. Aside from that, the people who use taxis tend to have more money and so they're less likely to complain about a price increase.

Last time i used the NYC yellow taxi was returning from my flight from San Diego(to see my family) couple of days after new years day 2012. Had couple of heavy bags and was using it from JFK to Grand Central for Metro North. Came in on a late evening at around 1130pm and we got to East Midtown in about 35 minutes. I was charged the flat rate $45 and if was a metered rate it would probably been no more than $35. Overnights at least between JFK and Manhattan it should be lower than $45 or w/e it's charged now.

Before that it was several years since i used a NYC yellow taxi. I always try to use the NJ Transit trains to Newark or the subway/airtrain combos to JFK.

Thus when in Manhattan even hanging at sports bars around Times Sq. and the east village on occasion, i just get my butt on the subway or walk to MNRR and save a few bucks.

LOL... You're complaining... I used to pay $15 bucks to go from Hylan and Steuben from the X1 to West Brighton... $45.00 is a steal considering the amount of gas, tolls and anything else. The last time I needed JFK was when I was living in Midwood... I forget how much it was but you've got to tip $20.00 for the trip at least. I see a lot of yellow taxis that go up to Riverdale from the city and I'm sure they probably charge around $45.00 for the trip.

I think Taxis will still exist, intra-borough Manhattan and drives to middle/middle-upper/upper class communities as well as Airports. I will NEVER use the Subway or Local Bus to the airport, only way is LIRR to Airtrain, it's not practical to ride public transit with big luggages.

Neither is the express bus... I hate seeing folks with those big pieces of luggage on the express bus seats... Take a friggin taxi!! <_<

So you people who are hating are doing so because you cant afford to take taxis? Thats the problem though isnt it? Its a luxury you cant afford?

The Taxi fare hasnt been increased since 2005. Your MTA has raised fares over and over since then. And its not just rich white women taking these cabs. All walks of life do. Plenty of working class blue collar people do.

My friend owns a medallion since 2003 and his medallian went from $230,000 when he bought it to $750,000 today. Unfortunately most of these drivers dont own their meallians so they have to rent the cab. Either way its a demeaning job, people spit at you, people in the cab boss you around and think they own you for the short cab ride and then they accuse you of trying to rob them just because you took a different route that reallyu isnt going to cost them more money. My friend gets cursed at and taken advantage of because they stereotype him as the typical dirty immigrant cab driver who doesnt know english or how to drive yet he was born here.

Stop hatin cause you are broke and cant afford the cab ride. People will always take cabs, it has been proven to be a recession proof business and its not going anywhere.

Neither is the express bus... I hate seeing folks with those big pieces of luggage on the express bus seats... Take a friggin taxi!! <_<

What the (MTA) should do is open the compartments under the buses for passengers to put luggages and oversized stuff. If they are paranoid for bombs and such, give Bus Operators metal detector devices so they can scan the bags for any metal or what not.

What the (MTA) should do is open the compartments under the buses for passengers to put luggages and oversized stuff. If they are paranoid for bombs and such, give Bus Operators metal detector devices so they can scan the bags for any metal or what not.

thats going to slow down the route considerably if the bus driver has to open up the luggage compartments and start scanning and searching every bag.

So you people who are hating are doing so because you cant afford to take taxis? Thats the problem though isnt it? Its a luxury you cant afford?

The Taxi fare hasnt been increased since 2005. Your MTA has raised fares over and over since then. And its not just rich white women taking these cabs. All walks of life do. Plenty of working class blue collar people do.

My friend owns a medallion since 2003 and his medallian went from $230,000 when he bought it to $750,000 today. Unfortunately most of these drivers dont own their meallians so they have to rent the cab. Either way its a demeaning job, people spit at you, people in the cab boss you around and think they own you for the short cab ride and then they accuse you of trying to rob them just because you took a different route that reallyu isnt going to cost them more money. My friend gets cursed at and taken advantage of because they stereotype him as the typical dirty immigrant cab driver who doesnt know english or how to drive yet he was born here.

Stop hatin cause you are broke and cant afford the cab ride. People will always take cabs, it has been proven to be a recession proof business and its not going anywhere.

Serves those cab drivers right for ripping people off the way they do, for as long as they have..... They know what the hell they're doing when they're trying to milk as much money out of a passenger as possible... If people wanna blow their money on those things, that's their business, that's their right.... In turn though, those are the last people I want to hear complaining about any increased rates......

Well of course it aint just rich white women taking cabs, captain obvious.....

Hatin because we can't afford to take a cab....

Nah, more like you're sticking up for cab drivers because you have a "friend" that does that for an occupation...

How about your so-called friend go out & make more of himself than a lowly ass cab driver... Taxi companies rip off their drivers & taxi drivers rip off customers...... Don't talk to me about who's broke when cab drivers (much like waitors & waitresses, since you wanna make comparisons) rely on tips themselves & are barely getting by......

Serves those cab drivers right for ripping people off the way they do, for as long as they have..... They know what the hell they're doing when they're trying to milk as much money out of a passenger as possible... If people wanna blow their money on those things, that's their business, that's their right.... In turn though, those are the last people I want to hear complaining about any increased rates......

Nah, more like you're sticking up for cab drivers because you have a "friend" that does that for an occupation...

How about your so-called friend go out & make more of himself than a lowly ass cab driver... Taxi companies rip off their drivers & taxi drivers rip off customers...... Don't talk to me about who's broke when cab drivers (much like waitors & waitresses, since you wanna make comparisons) rely on tips themselves & are barely getting by......

Now we got a debate.....cabbies rip people off period!!...I can't believe that thier isn't much of an uproar with this latest hike in fare?!

The truth is you are probably just a broke ass who cant afford it.

First you slammed the people who take the taxis and now the drivers. I drove a livery cab before myself for extra money, not a yellow taxi, but thats not why I said what I said at all.

My friend said it himself, he doesnt take long routes or anything to try to rob anyone. What would he get? an extre $5 or $10? No not at all. The quicker he gets someone out of the cab the quicker he can pick someone else up. The more people you pick up and drop off the more money you make. You dont make more money by keeping someone in the car for a long time. Only a moron theif cab driver would do that.

And as for him having a lowly job, people who dont own but rent the cabs can make $200+ per 12 hour shift. SInce he owns his medallion, he makes $325+ per 12 hour shift. What he earns in a week driving a cab probably takes you 3 months.

Its obvious from some of the hateful replies to this article that people who posted bashing the taxi and users are just bitter they and yourself cant afford the luxry of a personal taxi.

The truth is you are probably just a broke ass who cant afford it.

First you slammed the people who take the taxis and now the drivers. I drove a livery cab before myself for extra money, not a yellow taxi, but thats not why I said what I said at all.

My friend said it himself, he doesnt take long routes or anything to try to rob anyone. What would he get? an extre $5 or $10? No not at all. The quicker he gets someone out of the cab the quicker he can pick someone else up. The more people you pick up and drop off the more money you make. You dont make more money by keeping someone in the car for a long time. Only a moron theif cab driver would do that.

And as for him having a lowly job, people who dont own but rent the cabs can make $200+ per 12 hour shift. SInce he owns his medallion, he makes $325+ per 12 hour shift. What he earns in a week driving a cab probably takes you 3 months.

Its obvious from some of the hateful replies to this article that people who posted bashing the taxi and users are just bitter they and yourself cant afford the luxry of a personal taxi.

More ad-hominems, typical coming from you, Warduke.....

First it's someone that got something to say about taxi's are broke ass haters, now we're just bitter.... go somewhere w/ those weak dismissive tactics....

....and lol @ the bitter shit.... bitter about WHAT exactly?

Who in their right mind wants to drive a cab for a living.... Who the hell yearns to ride in a damn cab to get to/from wherever they're going....

"Only a moron theif cab driver would do that"

Yeah, and there are enough "moron theif cab driver's" as you put it, ripping ppl. off out here... and on top of that, nevermind the way they drive & how they think they own the road, lot of them crooks got the gall to be rude as all hell on top of it.... Minimize the amount of drivers out here doing that if you want.... So you drove a livery cab before, doesn't sway me either way - but this aggrandizing of people that use taxi's (all that talk about luxury) goes against what you say here:

"And its not just rich white women taking these cabs. All walks of life do. Plenty of working class blue collar people do."

Continuing to call me a hater, a broke ass, bitter, all that garbage doesn't change the fact that cab drivers are out here doing some underhanded shit to people....

lol... I gotta laugh because Warduke, B35 is correct... If they're not driving yellow cabs, then yes, as you say they don't gain money by taking long ways because they charge flat rates usually, but a metered yellow taxi... Different story. As I said before, I pick and choose when I use yellow taxis. The last time I used one it was sweltering outside and I didn't feel like using the bus since it was so hot out, so I took a taxi to and from my office in Midtown to a restaurant over in the Meat Packing District, as I was taking a long lunch. Round trip was $30.30 w/tip... $12.40 going and $17.90 coming back because we were stuck in traffic...

Same place, yet a difference of almost $6.00... Also you do have yellow taxi drivers still ripping off customers...

http://www.myfoxny.c...s-taking-a-toll

I always use my charge card, which lists all of my purchases going back to almost two years so I can see what I was charged with a quick search and can dispute any charges up to 90 days. I always check my receipts too and look at the meter to ensure I'm not getting ripped off.

My problem isn't so much the charge, but mainly the lack of comfort and the fact that I can get to my destination quicker often times as opposed to using a taxi and having to pay to sit in traffic.

Archived