Parked Buses in Bus Stop

azspeedbullet

Is there some kind of policy (or anything) that prohibits bus drivers from parking their buses in front of a bus stop? I was at a bus stop with 2 parked buses, am i suppose to stand in the street and hail a bus passing by? I was standing next to the bus stop pole thinking one of the drivers will be returning from their break. After about 5 minutes, a bus passed without stopping until he was forced to stop at the red stop light about 50ft away from the bus stop. I knocked on the door, and the driver opened the door and let me on. When i asked him why he didn't slow down to see if there were people waiting to get on the bus, he replied that "he didn't see me". Are we suppose to hail down a bus at a bus stop just like we are hailing a yellow cab?

Do you think it would have been better if those two busses left the bus stop area empty for you to stand there, but would have double parked for 30 minutes ?

If you are standing there, why didnt you walk to the front driver side corner of the bus and just stood there waiting for the bus to come ? Driver would have seen you and would have stoped. Is that such a difficult task to make your self visible?

I hate when people hide from the drivers view and then complaint. Especialy in the rain, they stand in the store, and then run out when the bus is passing the stop, well gues what, YOU should have an umbrella and stand at the bus stop so the driver would see you and stop. Another idiots who are standing at the crosswalk and as the bus passes by wave expecting the driver to pull over right in the cross walk and pick them up, The polle is no where near the cross walk, it is 40-80 feet down the block.

Do you think it would have been better if those two busses left the bus stop area empty for you to stand there, but would have double parked for 30 minutes ?

If you are standing there, why didnt you walk to the front driver side corner of the bus and just stood there waiting for the bus to come ? Driver would have seen you and would have stoped. Is that such a difficult task to make your self visible?

I hate when people hide from the drivers view and then complaint. Especialy in the rain, they stand in the store, and then run out when the bus is passing the stop, well gues what, YOU should have an umbrella and stand at the bus stop so the driver would see you and stop. Another idiots who are standing at the crosswalk and as the bus passes by wave expecting the driver to pull over right in the cross walk and pick them up, The polle is no where near the cross walk, it is 40-80 feet down the block.

Because once again, the passenger is always the dumbass retard and the bus driver can never do anything wrong.

Now what if a wheelchair was waiting for the bus. Would it be their fault that some drivers decided to park their buses there, and the wheelchair would be stupid and should suffer?

If you are standing there, why didnt you walk to the front driver side corner of the bus and just stood there waiting for the bus to come ? Driver would have seen you and would have stoped. Is that such a difficult task to make your self visible?g the driver to pull over right in the cross walk and pick them up, The polle is no where near the cross walk, it is 40-80 feet down the block.

if regular cars can not park in a bus stop, then what makes a not in service bus special that it can block the bus stop? Since the bus is not in service, it should find a legal parking spot just like everyone else with a regular car

if regular cars can not park in a bus stop, then what makes a not in service bus special that it can block the bus stop? Since the bus is not in service, it should find a legal parking spot just like everyone else with a regular car

But how many spots are you gonna find that will accommodate a bus? Will you expect ops to feed the meters too for taking them up too? Just take this as a lesson and make yourself visible, whether you're out in the front, driver side or at the back of the bus, where you can be seen. No offense but stuff like this should really be common sense.

Um It saying that its a bus stop, makes it an area for a bus to stop at. WOW!!!

LMFAO @ the idiotic replies in this thread already.

Listen, it's a bus stop for buses to park, pick-up passengers, or do whatever we want zone.

And I've bypassed plenty of folks who think they are gonna hide in the rain by a store, and dash out like Superman at the last minute to hail me down. Fucck that - I'm gone. Your fault, entirely. I'm not gonna play hide and go seek games with any passengers who need my bus.

BE IN THE BUS STOP! Not down the block; not in the store; not talking to your friend 50 ft away from the bus stop.\

If there's anything obstructing the bus stop that doesn't allow the operator to see you fully, then get in view of the operator, in enough time for him/her to slow down and pick you up safely. As for the op, picking you up at the light, you would've been ass'd out with me cause I don't open the doors outside the stop for anyone.

Which reminds me, I stopped for a couple on the 44 a few weeks ago, who decided to walk slowly to the bus, then the girl decided she wanted to run back to her boyfriend for a kiss, or whatever, and I drove off with them trying to hail me down at the red light which was 60 ft away. Next time, you'll be more serious about catching the bus. No time for the bullshit.

I know how you feel "azspeedbulet, I agree with Acela Express , but right in front of Metropolitan Museum of Art when summer Wednesday, tour buses are suppose to be only dropping off and picking up and parking at official tour bus stops (83rd-84th Sts) while official school bus stop is at 82nd-81st Sts, however some these B/O refused when their spaces taken, and sometimes they parked in city bus stop, taxi stand, sightseeing bus tour, forcing taxis, tour buses and city buses to double park and wait for passengers to be load/unload.

Now what if a wheelchair was waiting for the bus. Would it be their fault that some drivers decided to park their buses there, and the wheelchair would be stupid and should suffer?

I would like to see a bus driver answer this, because the answers and examples shown are examples that I can agree - able-bodied people should be able to step out and hail it. A bit inconvenient, but doable.

It amazes me how many people do not have commen sense. 2 things that piss me off r people who see u waiting at the red light down the block, but when u pull into the stop and open the doors that's when they give there friends kisses goodbye. I refuse to wait for u. And also take out ur damn metro card and be ready to pay when it's ur turn!! It's not difficult people!

Smart thing to do would be to wait behind the bus. an able bodied or disable person should be able to. If there is no sufficent space, likely they will pull a bit further ahead. Lesson I learned the hard way, if a bus pulls in to your stop and you don't want it, likely there is another behind it. Move to the back of the parked bus and make yourself visible.

Alot of times I tend to park my bus at first stop at 106 st and Bway and I tell the passengers waiting dont worry the other buses will stop (m60/M104) and they do with or without hailing

When I do the QM10 I park my bus in 3rd ave and 31st in the bus stop and the bus always stops for people.....But if 2 buses were in the stop and I was trying to catch a bus I would stand at the back of the 2 buses and have my hand ready to go up to singnal for the driver to stop.....not sit in the bus shelter and wait for the bus to go by and than be like how come that bus didn't stop!!

I will agree with the B/Os here, but I will also say that having buses double parked like that gives some of them an excuse to just drive by and say they didn't see you even if you make yourself visible. None of you guys have to say it because I am because I know from experience. Some will look to see if anyone is at the stop and others will just drive by as if the stop didn't exist so even if you follow the steps given there is no guarantee that the B/O will stop even though it is indeed a stop. All depends on the driver.

I've seen several people bypassed when there were no buses parked in the stop. The B/O just assumed that the folks waiting didn't want the express bus. Not sure how they can assume that but they do. If you're not a "regular" then they'll think you don't need the bus. At some stops it is also important to note that just because you wait by the bus stop pole or the bus shelter it doesn't mean that the bus will stop there. Some stops have "unmarked" designated spots where the buses stop, so what I do is position myself in a way to let the B/O know that I want the bus and make myself visible and try to stand in the area where said passengers normally stand for said bus. I have only been bypassed a few times when I lived on Staten Island and that was simply because the B/O just assumed that no one wanted the bus which again is stupid to assume. Since moving to Riverdale outside of the problems I had with the one BxM18 stop (which have been resolved after the stink I made) I was almost bypassed once at a BxM2 stop by Central Park and that was because I wasn't aware of the fact that even though the bus stop is in one spot, most buses stop by where the M6 used to stop at when it made its last stop because usually many Yukon express buses are parked there blocking the stop.

An Asian lady was nice enough to inform the driver that I was hailing him and he stopped and apologized profusely expecting me to be infuriated (probably based on the look on my face :lol:), but since I realized what happened I was cool with it. What I do is usually just avoid that stop altogether since other passengers have had problems with that stop as well.

If you forced B/Os to look for parking space, s/he might loose previous time and become late for her/his run or break.

What's happened if that bus was articulated bus, and there's nowhere in Manhattan's parking spaces that buses could fit other than city bus stop or in their terminals like Boat Basin, Riverbank State Park.

If you forced B/Os to look for parking space, s/he might loose previous time and become late for her/his run or break.

What's happened if that bus was articulated bus, and there's nowhere in Manhattan's parking spaces that buses could fit other than city bus stop or in their terminals like Boat Basin, Riverbank State Park.

i was in downtown brooklyn, its the first stop of the run. Around the corner is the termanal/base where all of the buses queue up for service. Which what made me confused where there buses in the bus stop when they should of been with the other buses around the corner

Because once again, the passenger is always the dumbass retard and the bus driver can never do anything wrong.

You sad it about the dumbass retard , I didnt ;)

Re wheel chair. I would double park but leave enough room between me and the bus in parking, I wouls ask WC customer to go to the end of the block, and get down to the street level and come back to me. If they chose to do it, I would unfold the lift but in most cases they do not want to bother if they know the bus in parking will leave soon.

Same to drop off, Leave room and double park. let them off in the middle of the street and stay there blocking the street untill they get to the corner and get up to the side walk.

Sure, Next time i will need to take a personal, I will drive around the block liiking for a parking for a 40 fot bus. Great Idea!

Do I have to feed one meeter near the front of the bus? or do I have to feed all 2 or 3 that I will be blocking?

You sad it about the dumbass retard , I didnt ;)

Re wheel chair. I would double park but leave enough room between me and the bus in parking, I wouls ask WC customer to go to the end of the block, and get down to the street level and come back to me. If they chose to do it, I would unfold the lift but in most cases they do not want to bother if they know the bus in parking will leave soon.

Same to drop off, Leave room and double park. let them off in the middle of the street and stay there blocking the street untill they get to the corner and get up to the side walk.

Except you wouldn't even know they exist because you'd just be gunning it down the street because you wouldn't even be bothering to check if anyone's at the bus stop. The OP was waiting in the bus stop and a bus passed him, so what makes a wheelchair waiting in the bus stop any more visible?

Archived