Riverside Transit Agency to order 97 Gillig BRTPlus buses.

Turbo19

As stated by the Board, Budget, and Finance Committee:

Staff is requesting authorization to award a contract to Gillig, LLC, Hayward, CA, for a quantity of 97 CNG BRTPlus vehicles that will be used in the Agency’s fixed-route and CommuterLink services. The Agency’s fleet of 40-foot buses purchased in April 2000 are nearing the end of their useful service life as defined by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) of 12-years/500,000 miles. The majority of these buses currently have in excess of 500,000 miles and by the time new replacement buses are delivered, they will have been in revenue service beyond their 12-year life cycle.

The document can be found at the link below, along with info regarding specs, and other bids submitted including Orion, ElDorado, New Flyer, & NABI. Info is at page 13.

http://www.riverside...RENT/Agenda.pdf

As stated by the Board, Budget, and Finance Committee:

Staff is requesting authorization to award a contract to Gillig, LLC, Hayward, CA, for a quantity of 97 CNG BRTPlus vehicles that will be used in the Agency’s fixed-route and CommuterLink services. The Agency’s fleet of 40-foot buses purchased in April 2000 are nearing the end of their useful service life as defined by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) of 12-years/500,000 miles. The majority of these buses currently have in excess of 500,000 miles and by the time new replacement buses are delivered, they will have been in revenue service beyond their 12-year life cycle.

The document can be found at the link below, along with info regarding specs, and other bids submitted including Orion, ElDorado, New Flyer, & NABI. Info is at page 13.

http://www.riverside...RENT/Agenda.pdf

The way I read it, NFI was the low bidder, then after "negotiations" suddenly Gillig popped up a few thousand less, hmmmmmmmmm.

The way I read it, NFI was the low bidder, then after "negotiations" suddenly Gillig popped up a few thousand less, hmmmmmmmmm.

Yeah, NFI has been bidding low alot lately.

Well, if those are the best buses, I hope you run the best for those best buses! :D

They'll be crap in 5-7 years time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I feel it's best to leave this here. Here is two prototype designs for the actual buses themselves, taken by a bus operator I know. Excuse the quality as the photos are from a presentation.

Prototype A:
294931_129486487220875_270989108_n.jpg

Prototype B:
299326_129673750535482_470956766_n.jpg

Any personal preferences?

I'm personally a fan of prototype B as there are no decal intruding onto the passenger window. In contrast, prototype A as two different decals on windows, the CNG decal, and the livery decal.

And with any luck I'll have photos of the first deliveries within two months.

your getting better express service?

At this point not likely. Maybe a few extra trips (2-3 extra per express route) but not much happening now.

If RTA decides to take the extra option of buses then hopefully service levels across the system will improve, but for the rest of this year no major changes.

Archived