Back to school for NYC kids

Harry

[float=left]post-5097-0-82264200-1346941051_thumb.jpg[/float]It’s the first day of the school year for NYC’s kids.

About 1.1 million of the city’s students, from preschoolers to high school seniors, head back to classes Thursday after being on summer vacation since June 27.

Preschoolers and kindergarteners who aren’t in special ed programs start the year with a half day, according to the Department of Education.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-82264200-1346941051_thumb.jpg

Lucky me. I just had to go in and pick up my program. B-) (Unfortunately, the idiots didn't give out Student MetroCards yet even though they gave them to the freshmen, so I had to walk back).

So you start a full day tomorrow?

I go in tomorrow to get my program, metrocard and ID pics taken. I don't have a full day of school until Tuesday 9/11, on Monday, I have 30 minute periods with 1:10 dismissal :D

Oh the perks of catholic school ;)

So you start a full day tomorrow?

I go in tomorrow to get my program, metrocard and ID pics taken. I don't have a full day of school until Tuesday 9/11, on Monday, I have 30 minute periods with 1:10 dismissal :D

Oh the perks of catholic school ;)

Unfortunately, it's a full day tomorrow.

And that's nothing. I get out at 1:15 every day (and I'm going to get my program changed to see if I could get out at 12:30). Top that, Catholic school boy. ;) Of course, I'm a senior, but still.

Part of it is because I'm taking extra classes that aren't required. If I just took the basic classes, I would've probably left before noon last year (instead I left at 2). This year, I'd be leaving around 10:15 if I did that.

Unfortunately, it's a full day tomorrow.

And that's nothing. I get out at 1:15 every day (and I'm going to get my program changed to see if I could get out at 12:30). Top that, Catholic school boy. ;) Of course, I'm a senior, but still.

Part of it is because I'm taking extra classes that aren't required. If I just took the basic classes, I would've probably left before noon last year (instead I left at 2). This year, I'd be leaving around 10:15 if I did that.

Lol, those AP/Honors classes have helped your schedule i see.. The thing with my school is, that my schedule isn't the same everyday, its a 7day cycle schedule. With Day 1 for example, having Science 1st period, Math 2nd, English last. Day 2 would be English 1st, Science 2nd, Math 3rd and so on. If I had a consistent schedule like public school, I'd be getting out at 1:50 everyday, as I only have 6 periods of classes and lunch, unlike everyone else. One day each cycle I do, if i have my free period last. (which is early for a Junior.) and if i wasn't taking AP spanish this year (I fufilled my language requirement) I'd be getting out at 1:15 everyday, but I don't mind lol. If I only took the core classes. I'd only have 5 periods of class :o

Next year, I am only doing 4 periods of instruction (English, Economics, Government, Anatomy), so I will have a lot of free time then for electives or what else...

I'm back!

I've got a robotics class, so I will build my own robot in school.

I was out on a school bus meeting in the auditorium while the homeroom teacher handed out Student MetroCards, so I'll get mine in homeroom tommorow. Goodbye school bus! Hello B49 and riding home myself!

OT question: Do student MetroCards offer the transfer privileges? ie. bus-bus, bus-subway, subway-bus.

I miss the Free Metrocards the school used to give. Now i have to shell out $104 for an unlimited.

lol... But just think now you have unlimited rides.... :lol: Last night I got my usual driver on the BxM18 and then I decided to go back to the city, so I changed and showered quickly and walked over to the BxM1 and who do I see... The same driver I had going home. She goes you're going back to the city? I'm like yep, back to the city... The beauty of the Unlimited card... With the school pass it sucked because it would expire after a certain time so I would have to pay to get home if I stayed at a friend's house or whatever.

OT question: Do student MetroCards offer the transfer privileges? ie. bus-bus, bus-subway, subway-bus.

Yup. Basically, think of it as a Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard with $6.75 on it (except you can't use it on the express bus). You get the same transfers regular MetroCard users do (so if there's a 3rd transfer allowed, you get that too).

One of the things that makes me happy that I work for PATH is that there are very few kids that take the PATH train to school.

That is true. From what I know, it is illegal for someone from one state to go to a high school or anything below in another state.

That is true. From what I know, it is illegal for someone from one state to go to a high school or anything below in another state.

For public school yes, private school is ok though.We get alot of Xavier students (private Catholic school) and they are great to deal with unlike the animals in public schools.

Can't be. My (former) high school has kids from Jersey and Connecticut, as well as New York.

Of course, it's a private school. That's probably true for public schools.

For public school yes, private school is ok though.We get alot of Xavier students (private Catholic school) and they are great to deal with unlike the animals in public schools.

Well, from my experience, not necessarily. The public schools I've gone aren't like that, and actually from getting of at Ditmars it seems that the private school kids are rowdy.

Well, from my experience, not necessarily. The public schools I've gone aren't like that, and actually from getting of at Ditmars it seems that the private school kids are rowdy.

YES. My school is very rowdy and ghetto. All the co-ed catholic schools in the city are rowdy and ghetto (Bishop Ford, Bishop Loughlin, St Francis Prep and St. John's Prep, which is where I go.)

I've experienced the exact opposite... then again it tends to be like that when you get the kids from Flushing and John Bowne on your buses and trains. The kids from schools like Regis, Xavier, Stuy, and Bronx Science, I've found to be not too bad.

Archived