Back to school for NYC kids

Harry

I miss the Free Metrocards the school used to give. Now i have to shell out $104 for an unlimited.

Really? Student Metrocards still exist, are you too close to your school to get one?

That is true. From what I know, it is illegal for someone from one state to go to a high school or anything below in another state.

For public school yes, private school is ok though.We get alot of Xavier students (private Catholic school) and they are great to deal with unlike the animals in public schools.

Nope, it's perfectly legal. Trick is, you have to pay tuition if you come in from outside of NYC. "Animals in public schools" though, really? That's mature.

How many weapons do you think were confiscated today?

Sometimes I wonder if you people have ever actually set foot in an NYC public school or if you just listen to the crime stats and fret about them. My whole life was public elementary, public middle school, public high school. No animals.

Sometimes I wonder if you people have ever actually set foot in an NYC public school or if you just listen to the crime stats and fret about them. My whole life was public elementary, public middle school, public high school. No animals.

Was just reading the story about DeWitt Clinton being the most heavily armed school. I went to high school on Long Island...we had our fair share of nonsense too.

I worked in a public school for a little over a year, I stand behind my animals comment.

I worked in a public school for a little over a year, I stand behind my animals comment.

And I went to public school and I agree... Thank God for honors and AP classes... I still remember my freshman year... Metal detectors every day and oh yeah... There was a shooting prior to me starting out at the high school... I was glad to get out of that hell hole... Folks are either in denial or oblivious to the reality out here these days... SMH

Question-if you have an Unlimited card and you're eligible for a student MetroCard, are you required by the school to use the student card or can you just use your unlimited?

(I currently live in hell AKA NJ, so I wouldn't know)

And I went to public school and I agree... Thank God for honors and AP classes... I still remember my freshman year... Metal detectors every day and oh yeah... There was a shooting prior to me starting out at the high school... I was glad to get out of that hell hole... Folks are either in denial or oblivious to the reality out here these days... SMH

They had metal detectors back in YOUR day?

Question-if you have an Unlimited card and you're eligible for a student MetroCard, are you required by the school to use the student card or can you just use your unlimited?

________

How would they know if you had an unlimited? You use whatever you want lol

_______

:lol:

My school's in the so-called ghetto. We only go through metal detectors once or twice a year (and that's just because the NYPD randomly does it at every school). As for shootings, well shit happens. There was a shooting at my school in 2010, and you didn't see everybody going nuts (Hell, I wouldn't have even known about it if I didn't skim through the newspaper). That still doesn't justify generalizing all of us as animals. There's the good and bad in all schools.

Yeah, you can just use the unlimited. But I don't see the point in having the unlimited if you know you're going to get a Student MetroCard. :wacko: Unless you're doing a ton of busfanning on the weekends or something. Either that, or if you're taking the express bus to school and don't need a Student MetroCard.

My school's in the so-called ghetto. We only go through metal detectors once or twice a year (and that's just because the NYPD randomly does it at every school). As for shootings, well shit happens. There was a shooting at my school in 2010, and you didn't see everybody going nuts (Hell, I wouldn't have even known about it if I didn't skim through the newspaper). That still doesn't justify generalizing all of us as animals. There's the good and bad in all schools.

Yeah, you can just use the unlimited. But I don't see the point in having the unlimited if you know you're going to get a Student MetroCard. :wacko: Unless you're doing a ton of busfanning on the weekends or something. Either that, or if you're taking the express bus to school and don't need a Student MetroCard.

I'm pretty sure the unlimited doesn't work on Express buses. They have a special weekly metrocards for the Express buses that costs $50. Next time i'm in midtown i'll try and use my unlimited on the express bus to see if it works just to be 100% sure.

I had them in Jr. High. It was just a keep it moving situation, if you rang, the security would offer to wand you and/or ask you to identify an object. Then the security would offer a search, otherwise you could decline and the police were or were (usually) not called to continue. Anyway, usually they let you go. It was just an intimidation factor.

I'm pretty sure the unlimited doesn't work on Express buses. They have a special weekly metrocards for the Express buses that costs $50. Next time i'm in midtown i'll try and use my unlimited on the express bus to see if it works just to be 100% sure.

Don't bother.... The express bus fare boxes are programmed not to accept them. Only the $50.00 ones will work.

Those are the ones I'm referring to. If you take an express bus to school, the Student MetroCard doesn't work on it. But if you're doing it every day, you might as well just get the weekly pass. But they're the $50 Express Bus Plus MetroCards, not the regular unlimiteds.

Archived