School bus hits MTA bus, other vehicles in Queens

-CT1660-

MTA+bus+accident-610x343.jpg

CORONA (WABC) -- An out of control school bus struck several vehicles and a MTA city bus causing numerous injuries in the Corona section of Queens, officials said.

The crash happened shortly after 3:20 p.m. at 108th street and Horace Harding Expressway in the Corona section of Queens.

Authorities said a school bus travelling southbound on 108th Street in Queens struck a number of vehicles and then the right side of a Q23 bus travelling northbound on 108th Street.

The school bus then hit an embankment and, officials said, the driver attempted to flee the scene. Police stopped the school bus 2 blocks away.

No students were on the school bus.

A black SUV was also involved in the accident.

The injured included the driver of the SUV and passengers on the Q23 bus. Four people were listed in serious but stable condition and a dozen are listed in stable condition at Forest Hill Hospital.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=8800576

That's so terrible! If there were student or little kids, their families will get very upset and force them out of school bus and maybe find other way of get to school for them.

Near the highway/expressway is dangerous intersection for any drivers.

That school bus B/O should not be driving that bus. I think NYCBOE and all other school bus companies need to take SERIOUS TRAINING like stopping at railroad crossing, using amber light when loading/unloading the students.

MTA Bus dispatcher looks upset.

I was the middle of the whole thing, as I was in that Q23 bus (9212) that got hit. I was going home from school @FHHS, and suddenly, the school bus tries to cut through two/three other vhicles, which hit them before it 9212.

That bus got hit pretty bad. It got hit head on by the school bus, which all but destroyed the windshield and most of the front fenders. The front doors got jammed by the force of the impact, and we forced to evacuate thorugh the back doors. I commend the actions of the b/o, he was clam throughout the whole ordeal, checking over us and making sure we were ok, despite the fact that he took the brunt of the impact. He semmed to be hurt somewhat bad, so he was loaded up into the strecher pretty quickly and taken into the hospital. He was visibly shaken and worried about the possible consequnces agianst him - even though he was not at fault. That school bus driver just kept on going, untl the PD finally caught up wht him. Last thing I know, he too was shaken, although he had a collar with him in the strcher and two cops were with him in the ambulance.

I hope the TA b/o is OK, and I wish him well, he did a good job. I don't know where he is now, as 7 of us (including me) were sent to EHC, as Forest Hills Hospital couldn't take in all of us. Fortunely, I came out without a scratch (as I was sitting in the back), but there some people that were banged up pretty bad. I wish them well also.

Ok, I just looked at the pictures of 9212. The damage is very fixable. But given the age of the bus, I would think that they are not going to bring this one back :-(

That's a testment to how well bulit are those RTS'. Mananged to withstand a hard impact like it did, and still reamined somewhat intact (except for the front, duh), and mostly likely prevented more people from getting injured or more seriously injured.

I was the middle of the whole thing, as I was in that Q23 bus (9212) that got hit. I was going home from school @FHHS, and suddenly, the school bus tries to cut through two/three other vhicles, which hit them before it 9212.

That bus got hit pretty bad. It got hit head on by the school bus, which all but destroyed the windshield and most of the front fenders. The front doors got jammed by the force of the impact, and we forced to evacuate thorugh the back doors. I commend the actions of the b/o, he was clam throughout the whole ordeal, checking over us and making sure we were ok, despite the fact that he took the brunt of the impact. He semmed to be hurt somewhat bad, so he was loaded up into the strecher pretty quickly and taken into the hospital. He was visibly shaken and worried about the possible consequnces agianst him - even though he was not at fault. That school bus driver just kept on going, untl the PD finally caught up wht him. Last thing I know, he too was shaken, although he had a collar with him in the strcher and two cops were with him in the ambulance.

I hope the TA b/o is OK, and I wish him well, he did a good job. I don't know where he is now, as 7 of us (including me) were sent to EHC, as Forest Hills Hospital couldn't take in all of us. Fortunely, I came out without a scratch (as I was sitting in the back), but there some people that were banged up pretty bad. I wish them well also.

Good you're OK, nice to have a first hand account...

That's a testment to how well bulit are those RTS'. Mananged to withstand a hard impact like it did, and still reamined somewhat intact (except for the front, duh), and mostly likely prevented more people from getting injured or more seriously injured.

Glad to hear everybody's okay, saw "Serious" condition and that's always a real concern. First-hand account is, like Threxx said, very interesting to hear. I just have to wonder if a low-floor bus would have taken a hit this hard without more serious frame damage and/or worse injuries.

What a scene. I passed it by on my way home this afternoon. A tow truck had just pulled up and there were still a bunch of cops, FDNY, and a Hatzoloh ambulance there cleaning up the scene.

That must have been quite a hit. I've rarely seen a school bus or MTA bus that banged up. Other than a dump truck, I can't think of too many trucks stronger than an RTS and a school bus.

Hats off to the B/O. Every time I get behind the wheel, I pray I won't get into one of these freak accidents. Looks like there wasn't anything that anyone (other than the bus driver) could do to avoid it.

Thanks. So I take it if this was a 5000 numbered bus, they would've tried to repair it?

They definitely would have repaired it. Pull the dents out, new bumper and bracket, new windshield, and a fresh coat of paint and its back on the street in about 2 weeks. And I say 2 weeks because most likely I would have spent 1 week being moved from place to place being evaluated by 30 different people before work would actually be done on it. But because the bus is from 1996 and was pretty much rolling around on borrowed time, it gets the ax...

They definitely would have repaired it. Pull the dents out, new bumper and bracket, new windshield, and a fresh coat of paint and its back on the street in about 2 weeks. And I say 2 weeks because most likely I would have spent 1 week being moved from place to place being evaluated by 30 different people before work would actually be done on it. But because the bus is from 1996 and was pretty much rolling around on borrowed time, it gets the ax...

The box beams/frame rails are comprimized foward of bulkhead #2, the bus is about 2ft. shorted than it was before the collision, the floor was buckled at the same location. It was ahard hit. #2 module is copressed,but oddly enough the bumper mounts and frame are intact. I would say that even if it was to be repaired it would be two months worth of manhours to repair.

Ok, I just looked at the pictures of 9212. The damage is very fixable. But given the age of the bus, I would think that they are not going to bring this one back :-(

Fixable, but the box beams are comprimised, very serious frame damage, lots of work. The bus is about 2ft. shorter than it was before the collision.

I have just been informed that 9212 will be going to scrap. Another RTSs lost. SMH. Im glad that the B/O of 9212is ok. @IntExp. Im glad to hear that you are ok.

The bus was determined to be a total loss at the scene

Also glad that IntExp is ok. Be advised, that if this was any Orion VII OG/NG/3G the BO would have been critically injured if not fatally injured there are NO load bearing members foward of the front wheelwell an the front of an OVII or LFS would have been obliterated, because the front the aforementioned buses are fiberglass and polycarbonite. This & other front end RTS collisions shows the strength of the RTS. Even the Orion V & Flxible have better structure than the plastic crap out here today. Please let this be a lesson.

The box beams/frame rails are comprimized foward of bulkhead #2, the bus is about 2ft. shorted than it was before the collision, the floor was buckled at the same location. It was ahard hit. #2 module is copressed,but oddly enough the bumper mounts and frame are intact. I would say that even if it was to be repaired it would be two months worth of manhours to repair.

I meant bumper mounts & bracket, they are completely intact. the only glass damaged was the front windshields. The load that the #2 module took was the hero in this collision alont withe the front clip. Blitz, I'm sure you've seen some dooseys in your time.

if this was any Orion VII OG/NG/3G the BO would have been critically injured if not fatally injured there are NO load bearing members foward of the front wheelwell an the front of an OVII or LFS would have been obliterated, because the front the aforementioned buses are fiberglass and polycarbonite. This & other front end RTS collisions shows the strength of the RTS. Even the Orion V & Flxible have better structure than the plastic crap out here today. Please let this be a lesson.

That's the first thing I thought of myself, one thing I just don't get is how the TWU and ATU will fight for every extra dime, but they never say a word when it comes to actual op safety on a bus. That'd been an NG or an LFS, I just find it hard to believe that op would been okay, and that kinda thing mattes a whole lot.

That's the first thing I thought of myself, one thing I just don't get is how the TWU and ATU will fight for every extra dime, but they never say a word when it comes to actual op safety on a bus. That'd been an NG or an LFS, I just find it hard to believe that op would been okay, and that kinda thing mattes a whole lot.

It's not the union, it's the bus industry, this is the world we live in and these are the designs we're given. This is why MTA has a BT&E right now. When all you have to get is what we get there's not much union can do if the current designs pass Altoona testing, then the the design is proven and certified for production. Trying to challenge Federal standards & Altoona in this day & age by anyone especially TWU or any union, all I can say is, Good luck with that and let me know how that works out for you!

Archived