How are the Toyotas and Nissans faring for NYC Taxis?

Joel Up Front

Since Ford stopped producing the awesome Crown Vic years ago, I notice they've been going with more "environmentally friendly" hybrid Highlanders and Nissan Altimas. The old Crown Vics were true workhorses - cushioned rides, enough torque to get moving quickly, and could take constant beatings from Manhattan's pockmarked streets. But how have the Sienna minivans and even those little Priuses been doing? If you drive like an ass everywhere, you'll get the same mileage no matter what you drive.

All I know is those Crown Vics had crappy AC and terrible leg room, so I welcome any new vehicle with more leg room and better AC.

What are you talking about? Those crown vics had amazing leg room compared to these new vehicles. These Ford Escapes have no leg room at all and are a bit uncomfortable.

The ADA accessible minivan makes for a ridiculously uncomfortable ride, with constant rattling when I took one once on the FDR going about 60mph. They also seem like they're tilted forwards a bit, which I assume is intentional and has something to do with being ADA accessible.

What are you talking about? Those crown vics had amazing leg room compared to these new vehicles. These Ford Escapes have no leg room at all and are a bit uncomfortable.

The ADA accessible minivan makes for a ridiculously uncomfortable ride, with constant rattling when I took one once on the FDR going about 60mph. They also seem like they're tilted forwards a bit, which I assume is intentional and has something to do with being ADA accessible.

lol... They all suck as far as I'm concerned being 6'4"... Keep that in mind...

Archived