Oldest MTA New York City Transit Subway Cars Getting Their Final Makeover

Harry

No I don't foam... I tell the truth. Enjoy them while they're here because soon they'll be bye bye... :D

Hate them while they're here because soon after they're finally gone, then all of your bitching is put to an end as well......There... <_<

But then I guess of course, there is still the R46s to foam about as well... >.>

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL... Speaking of those damn R46s when are they getting rid of those things?? Nightmares from the 70s... <_<

Why do you not have any patience. As much as you may like or not like them, the facts are: 1. They have to be retired. 2. It isn't going to be instant. The R46's are slated to be retired by the R211's. Money for the R211 order will be allocated in the 2019-2024 capital budget.

The NTT's aren't perfect, neither are the SMEE's. It's not worth having a flame war about...

Why do you not have any patience. As much as you may like or not like them, the facts are: 1. They have to be retired. 2. It isn't going to be instant. The R46's are slated to be retired by the R211's. Money for the R211 order will be allocated in the 2019-2024 capital budget.

The NTT's aren't perfect, neither are the SMEE's. It's not worth having a flame war about...

Good... There's no flame war going on here. Just a matter of the riding public realizing that these trains are useless as they're unreliable and folks trying to hold on to a train that should've been retired years ago. Reality vs fanners....

Good... There's no flame war going on here. Just a matter of the riding public realizing that these trains are useless as they're unreliable and folks trying to hold on to a train that should've been retired years ago. Reality vs fanners....

The R32's-R44's should all have been retired with the R160 order, but money, electrical problems on the Rockaway lines, and necessary yard upgrades got in the way. We just have to face reality. I love the R32's as well, but i'm not going to sit up here and deny their imminent retirement. They'll be in the museum, you can foam over them all you want there....

Can't even wait for the dust to settle rather than basing trains huh? Avoid lines that use the R62/62As, R32s, R42s, R46s, and R68/68As if you love the NTTs so much and bragging that you're a taxpayer and about reality...Yes we understand...But pretty soon, you'll start bashing the NTTs as they age as well...

When the R62As from the (7) return to either of the Lexington Avenue Line services, I'll be upset but that does not mean I'm going to rant about them like no tomorrow just because "I WANT THE R142 TO STAY ON MY LEX AV LINE PREMANENTLY!!!!!!! WHY MTA? WHY????" because I understand why the (L) and (7) were chosen to be fully automated with CBTC. I understand AND know that those R62As can still get me from point A to point B and that's all that matters because it's just a train. Old or new, doesn't matter anyhow and doesn't matter if I like it or not.

Can't even wait for the dust to settle rather than basing trains huh? Avoid lines that use the R62/62As, R32s, R42s, R46s, and R68/68As if you love the NTTs so much and bragging that you're a taxpayer and about reality...Yes we understand...But pretty soon, you'll start bashing the NTTs as they age as well...

LOL... Unlike you I don't care what type of train it is. I care about what the normal riding public cares about (which by the way isn't just a "few" people as you keep pointing out but millions...)... Clean trains with audible announcements and modern ammenities that provide reliable service, something the R32s don't do, period. And yes I know it is hard for you to accept but trains get old and have to be replaced. That's what we pay taxes for... Improvements...

You can take plenty of photos of them while they're still around and when they're placed in the museum as a part of ancient history. :lol:

LOL... Well now somebody took exception I see... Sorry to break the news to you, but I've been riding around on those trains probably before you even existed. These trains have had more than their use. I even remember when they ran on the Brighton Line. I want these trains to go because the paying public deserves better. The (MTA) knows this which is why they're spending 25 million dollars upgrading them until the R179s come in. As an ordinary rider and a taxpayer (which you probably aren't yet), I would like a train with good air conditioning that is clean and has audible announcements, none of which the R32s have, so it is time for them to go. Simple as that. I don't care if it is an express bus, a MetroNorth train or what... When it is time to go it is time to go.

I been riding before you were born VG8 :P . Rode the NYC subways going back to the mid 1970's before R62's/68's existed. Plus when the R44/46's were only a few years old and the newest trains in the fleet. The r32's/40's42's in their oringal interior colors and NYC Transit Authority. The R32's even with the graffti was bad a ss trains.

I been riding before you VG8 going back to late 1970's before R62's/68's and when the R44/46's were only a few years old and the r32's/40's42's in their oringal interior colors and NYC Transit Authority. The R32's even with the graffti was bad a ss trains.

I actually remember riding the R68s when those were relatively new...

LOL... Unlike you I don't care what type of train it is. I care about what the normal riding public cares about (which by the way isn't just a "few" people as you keep pointing out but millions...)... Clean trains with audible announcements and modern ammenities that provide reliable service, something the R32s don't do, period. And yes I know it is hard for you to accept but trains get old and have to be replaced. That's what we pay taxes for... Improvements...

You can take plenty of photos of them while they're still around and when they're placed in the museum as a part of ancient history. :lol:

I understand just well and right. I am not denying anything but your flamboyish complaints about these cars as well as those who defend them won't do anything better.... When the R62As return to the (4)(5) or (6), I know it'll still get me from point A to point B even without the R142/142As as I understand why the (7) and (L) were the only two in the entire subway system chosen to be automated with CBTC because they are isolated lines....Going to where I have to go is all that matters, that's enough...Unlike you and many other loudmouth politics who still got your giant egos crushed...

Just to point out the facts, the R32's are quite reliable, even in their final years. Check MBDF...

Just to point out the facts, the R32's are quite reliable, even in their final years. Check MBDF...

Quite reliable based on what? They breakdown the most out of all of the cars and the (C) which is where they run the most has been ranked the worst line now for 2 years in a row... Not sure what you're talking about... :huh:

Clean trains with audible announcements and modern ammenities that

Clean: They are clean. Old, but they're no dirtier than the R46s or R62s.

Audible announcement: R32s aren't the only ones with those faults. Can you say... basically everything pre-R142? Why single out just the R32s?

Modern ammenities: What exactly are you expecting? Besides some flashy things like FIND systems, there's not much in new cars that's different from the old ones.

Quite reliable based on what? They breakdown the most out of all of the cars and the (C) which is where they run the most has been ranked the worst line now for 2 years in a row... Not sure what you're talking about... :huh:

The R32's and R46's are kicking ass right now... :lol:... go look up the stats yourself. It's a fact.

The R142's are actually doing poorly....

Clean: They are clean. Old, but they're no dirtier than the R46s or R62s.

Audible announcement: R32s aren't the only ones with those faults. Can you say... basically everything pre-R142? Why single out just the R32s?

Modern ammenities: What exactly are you expecting? Besides some flashy things like FIND systems, there's not much in new cars that's different from the old ones.

Because this thread is about the R32s being retired remember? :D

The R32's and R46's are kicking ass right now... :lol:... go look up the stats yourself. It's a fact.

The R142's are actually doing poorly....

lol... Hmm... All I know is every time I need a (C) train it takes FOREVER for it to come... **COUGHS** **Breakdown** <_<

LOL... They are facts. You just don't hate the truth. Are you telling me now that the R32s don't have the highest breakdown rate out of the current cars in the system??

*sign* No I am not......

Do you have facts of why the (MTA) has to keep the R32s until the R179s finally come in? Rather than personal and pollitical issues that you keep on using to back up your statements...

Will there be any type of visible indication that they've been overhauled so when i know when i hop in one to tell the difference?

Aside from maybe a few new windows to replace the vandalized ones, nope. Most of the work is under the hood type of repairs.

@Everyone else: Calm the hell down and take a step back from all this. This is exactly why I don't particularly care for these types of threads. Either it's folks bashing the trains because they're old or people "white-knighting" them because of pure nostalgia. Here are the facts: the 32s are sticking around until 2016-17 when the full order of 179s arrives, whether you like it or not. The 46s aren't going anywhere any time soon, again whether you like it or not. Neither are anything from the 6X classes (aside from the 62A/142A swap for Flushing CBTC). Yes, some of the car classes are not as reliable as others. Tough shit. It's what we got and they run as well as can be expected for cars their age. If any of you guys have a problem with any of that, I suggest you take those problems and shove it. And before someone starts spouting crap about political pull, until these cats in office personally start putting in their own money for new trains, the cars will stick around until they're no longer needed.

lol... Hmm... All I know is every time I need a (C) train it takes FOREVER for it to come... **COUGHS** **Breakdown** <_<

It has nothing to do with breakdowns. If that was true, then the (2)'s R142's would be dead by now.

It has to do with delays and other non-maintenance related issues.

It has nothing to do with breakdowns. If that was true, then the (2)'s R142's would be dead by now.

It has to do with delays and other non-maintenance related issues.

Agreed; there is a whole multitude of other reasons the (C) could be late... signal trouble, smoke, issues with points, passenger problems, etc... doesn't mean it's an R32 breaking down.

Archived