Oldest MTA New York City Transit Subway Cars Getting Their Final Makeover

Harry

It's better if they reached their golden anniversary. I agree with other people here too: the R32s have better AC. :D

IMO The R46s have better AC than the R32s, Sorry... When the train is full, most of the times I feel cool air, but other times I feel nothing but regular air bursting around.

Tho the all time best of the AC were the R44s~~~!!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We expect only the best... The same goes for our transit system and subway cars.

Christ, it's a public transit system, not a limo company! If you expect to find luxury in any such system, then you'd be sorely disappointed.

Those R42s can't be described as terrible if you are a foamer, but to more sensible railroaders its time for them to go already.

So basically, if you like old trains, you're a foamer? Way to paint everyone with the same brush...

we know what we're talking about.

:lol:

why can't we just enjoy the damn trains while they are still here

Be careful, that kind of thinking could give some people a stroke ;)

I have a car :P

So... if the R32s bug you so much, why don't you take that instead? :huh:

The R32s were NOT retired earlier because of the R44s. They will NOT be retired until the R179s come in. It's pointless to deny their retirement, and it's pointless to endlessly complain about them. My God. :rolleyes:

Keep on downplaying things to justify trying to keep those R32s around...

This post made no sense whatsoever. I'm not trying to justify keeping the R32s around, but in 2010 when the R44s had structural problems, then obviously the MTA was going to retire those, and not the R32s which were in far better condition.

Oh it's a luxury to have such decent cars...

Not once did I say this. But your posts (namely the "We expect only the best... The same goes for our transit system and subway cars.") make it seem as though the subway is supposed to be some kind of luxurious, comfortable place.

I mean really... Your rebuttals are a joke. :lol: LOL!

Pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes:

This post made no sense whatsoever. I'm not trying to justify keeping the R32s around, but in 2010 when the R44s had structural problems, then obviously the MTA was going to retire those, and not the R32s which were in far better condition.

Not once did I say this. But your posts (namely the "We expect only the best... The same goes for our transit system and subway cars.") make it seem as though the subway is supposed to be some kind of luxurious, comfortable place.

Pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes:

No, the point was that other transit systems have better subway stations and cars than we do and we're supposed to be the ones setting the example as New York City. That's the point.

No, the point was that other transit systems have better subway stations and cars than we do and we're supposed to be the ones setting the example as New York City. That's the point.

The deplorable condition of the stations on places like Sea Beach I will agree with you on. They look like an absolute dump.

Keep on downplaying things to justify trying to keep those R32s around... Oh only a few people don't want them around... Oh it's a luxury to have such decent cars... I mean really... Your rebuttals are a joke. :lol: LOL!

You see VG8, this is what makes you even more cocky and flamboyant (and in fact hypocritical...). You like to brag about how new things always make everyone happy and that others are not civilized. The way you behave, while different, is also uncivilized. I 100% understand reality and what we have to face facts but then again I for one, wasn't bragging about how the R32s were the best and denying their issues unlike you who just brag on about your own hood Riverdale, luxury, and yadah yadah...

This is the type of attitude that resembles many other students who behave this kind of way in school and elsewhere outside of their home...and I always isolated from those kind of people...This is the type of personality I do not like at all...Yes, I do behave immature and be rough to others whenever I become completely off track and unclear...Your comments is considered bragging and just trying to hurt everyone else rather than just saying something positive in a calm manner. You are free to criticize but that's only if you are doing it in a constructive and polite way. I know you still won't get what I'm trying to say...Don't even quote me on this because I don't want to start another flame war like I did earlier...I should have never replied to you the first time which led to a huge batch of arguments...I apologize for that......Anyways, I'm moving on now.........

The deplorable condition of the stations on places like Sea Beach I will agree with you on. They look like an absolute dump.

I've always said that we could have more simpler stations so that more money could be spread around. Same thing with the subway cars, but then again as time goes on the idea is to attract more people to use public transit and you do that by making the buses and subway cars more comfortable. Some may disagree with it, but that's the reality. Transportation is a service and the idea is to market that service to get as many people to use it as possible.

Having R32s around turns many off from wanting to use the service which is certainly not the goal in mind. Again you guys are transit fans. The (MTA) has to look at things from the perspective of the average rider and the average rider is sick of those cars particularly because they're unreliable and not worth the $2.25 that the (MTA) charges to ride them.

@ttc... I don't know what you're talking about... :huh: The reality is you're in denial about what the majority of the riding public thinks about the situation at hand. Like I said we're all paying taxes for this service and we expect to see improvements. Simple as that.

As an example of my point one community wrote to their representative about the need for new buses because they complained that the others were dirty, with broken seats, etc. I guess those folks should've taken their cars or hailed a taxi too right?? People have a right to complain and expect a certain level of quality of service which apparently you don't know about.

Having R32s around turns many off from wanting to use the service which is certainly not the goal in mind.

That's not a good reason, IMO. If you want to get somewhere served by the (C) then you will have to suck it up and deal with it. The MTA will be replacing the cars, but not immediately, unless they began quickly falling apart in service and being a general hazard to writers.

Again you guys are transit fans. The (MTA) has to look at things from the perspective of the average rider and the average rider is sick of those cars particularly because they're unreliable and not worth the $2.25 that the (MTA) charges to ride them.

$2.25 can also give you a ride on an R160, and everything in between. The MTA's fare is not that expensive compared to the one of the TTC in Toronto. Also, just because the R32s break down doesn't mean that happens all the time. Some of the posts in this thread make it seem as if they break down every second of the day, all over the place, which is a huge load of crap. I personally have yet to witness an R32 breaking down.

Also, the MTA doesn't heed the advice of foamers, but they also don't listen to passengers either. If some passengers had their say, there would be NTTs all over the place, regardless of the fact that the R62/As and R68/As don't need to be replaced yet. They do what is best from an operational standpoint, which doesn't always mean pleasing customers who complain a lot (such as the R44s delaying the retirement of the 32s)

That's not a good reason, IMO. If you want to get somewhere served by the (C) then you will have to suck it up and deal with it. The MTA will be replacing the cars, but not immediately, unless they began quickly falling apart in service and being a general hazard to writers.

A train that is not reliable is most certainly a reason to avoid using the line as some do with the case of the (C) which does nothing but hurts the service for the other folks that don't have options.

$2.25 can also give you a ride on an R160, and everything in between. The MTA's fare is not that expensive compared to the one of the TTC in Toronto. Also, just because the R32s break down doesn't mean that happens all the time. Some of the posts in this thread make it seem as if they break down every second of the day, all over the place, which is a huge load of crap. I personally have yet to witness an R32 breaking down.

Also, the MTA doesn't heed the advice of foamers, but they also don't listen to passengers either. If some passengers had their say, there would be NTTs all over the place, regardless of the fact that the R62/As and R68/As don't need to be replaced yet. They do what is best from an operational standpoint, which doesn't always mean pleasing customers who complain a lot (such as the R44s delaying the retirement of the 32s)

That's where you're wrong... If communities have enough pull they can indeed get the (MTA) to listen to their complaints. What you don't realize is that the (MTA) is a public transit agency. It is not a private transit agency. When a community complained about the need for new buses, their representative approached the (MTA) about the situation and the (MTA) responded by getting brand new buses, so they do indeed hear about the complaints and address them when they're reasonable and they can do something about the problem because again they're a public agency. Their job is to serve the public. Furthermore, as was stated before, they cannot just take our tax dollars and give us nothing in return. We pay taxes and expect to see improvements. That "sucking it up routine" doesn't cut it. Maybe in your world it does, but not in mine.

As matter of fact, I can't wait for the old to go....... I wanna see how most of these drama filled railfans will react. Once this system goes NTT.... *cue*losing horn*cue*

So that you can foam over the shiny replacements? :rolleyes:

The reality is you're in denial about what the majority of the riding public thinks about the situation at hand.

That is a huge load of crap. I have acknowledged, several times, that people hate the R32s and I'm saying that they need to deal with it because the R179s cannot be delivered and tested overnight.

As an example of my point one community wrote to their representative about the need for new buses because they complained that the others were dirty, with broken seats, etc. I guess those folks should've taken their cars or hailed a taxi too right??

But the R32s are not dirty (dimly lit or hard rock seats, which also exist on the NTTs does not equal dirty) and their windows and seats are not broken.

And again, new cars ARE coming, and they WILL result in the 50 year old trains. You make it seem as though the MTA still has yet to even consider the possibility of purchasing the R179s. I feel like a broken record saying this, but it doesn't seem to sink in. Until then, all you can do is get over it.

People have a right to complain and expect a certain level of quality of service which apparently you don't know about.

I ride transit to and from school every single day. If we were given ancient buses which are falling apart around us, I certain would be dissatisfied, but the R32s are not falling apart in a way that is harming riders (i.e. loose seats, windows, etc etc).

That is a huge load of crap. I have acknowledged, several times, that people hate the R32s and I'm saying that they need to deal with it because the R179s cannot be delivered and tested overnight.

But the R32s are not dirty (dimly lit or hard rock seats, which also exist on the NTTs does not equal dirty) and their windows and seats are not broken.

And again, new cars ARE coming, and they WILL result in the 50 year old trains. You make it seem as though the MTA still has yet to even consider the possibility of purchasing the R179s. I feel like a broken record saying this, but it doesn't seem to sink in. Until then, all you can do is get over it.

I ride transit to and from school every single day. If we were given ancient buses which are falling apart around us, I certain would be dissatisfied, but the R32s are not falling apart in a way that is harming riders (i.e. loose seats, windows, etc etc).

You are clearly in a fantasy world. The headways for the (C) is 10 minutes and sometimes you can wait easily over 20 minutes for a (C). In any event, I don't see how you can make it seem like they don't breakdown that often when they have the highest breakdown ratio of any of the subway cars in service. And this nonsense about the R32s not being dirty... :lol:

This is all I have to say. FIGHTING GETS YOU F*CKIN NOWHERE. All it does is lead to locked threads, and important topics that are just put into the shredder. I can understand exactly what is being discussed here.

Aight so what if VG8 does not like the R32s and R46s? I love the R46s from my heart, the R32s pick up 3rd place, but I ain't gonna nag him about it, might just leave a funny post like I did. Everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion. I'm gonna be flat out honest that I f*cking hate the R68s. Worst damn train in the system. I had to suffer with those on the (Q) for how many years now, and it stole the R40s from the (B). And I f*cking hate the (B). Stole the <Q> right under my eyes. Some people want the luxury, and you have to accept that. You guys know who you are.

On the other hand, Threxx and RollOverMyHead have a good argument. We are going to have to accept the fact that R32s are gonna be on the line until the new cars get here and they can retire. I will sure hate to see that day, and probably end up f*ckin hating that car too :D . But they are right, we have to accept the fact that we are going to have to live with the minor overhaul and say in the end, that a train is just a train. It is supposed to be an easy means of getting from A to B.

See how it all ties back to acceptance? If we can learn to accept each others opinions, and the facts of the matter, we can be in a great community. But everyone has to try. Oh and a side note. I F*CKING HATE THE R68s MAN WHEN ARE THEY GONNA RETIRE THAT SH*T GOD DAMN.

VG8, do you know that the (C) is the (A)'s counterpart and has much lower ridership? Do you know the purpose of high ridership means more service? Because there's a reason why the (C) doesn't run very frequently every day...

I'm saying that some riders do indeed avoid using the (C) because the service is unreliable (partially due to the current rolling stock on the line) and the cars suck.

This is all I have to say. FIGHTING GETS YOU F*CKIN NOWHERE. All it does is lead to locked threads, and important topics that are just put into the shredder. I can understand exactly what is being discussed here.

Aight so what if VG8 does not like the R32s and R46s? I love the R46s from my heart, the R32s pick up 3rd place, but I ain't gonna nag him about it, might just leave a funny post like I did. Everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion. I'm gonna be flat out honest that I f*cking hate the R68s. Worst damn train in the system. I had to suffer with those on the (Q) for how many years now, and it stole the R40s from the (B). And I f*cking hate the (B). Stole the <Q> right under my eyes. Some people want the luxury, and you have to accept that. You guys know who you are.

On the other hand, Threxx and RollOverMyHead have a good argument. We are going to have to accept the fact that R32s are gonna be on the line until the new cars get here and they can retire. I will sure hate to see that day, and probably end up f*ckin hating that car too :D . But they are right, we have to accept the fact that we are going to have to live with the minor overhaul and say in the end, that a train is just a train. It is supposed to be an easy means of getting from A to B.

See how it all ties back to acceptance? If we can learn to accept each others opinions, and the facts of the matter, we can be in a great community. But everyone has to try. Oh and a side note. I F*CKING HATE THE R68s MAN WHEN ARE THEY GONNA RETIRE THAT SH*T GOD DAMN.

To be honest with you I'm not wild about the R68s either and my not liking them will increase more as they age, but what it comes down to is older cars are less reliable and dirtier, along with poorer AC and announcements, all of which are important when trying to get from point A to point B.

Right! It will take some time for them to be delivered. Yet........... You got foamers complaining non-stop 24/7 instead of ignoring the haters. Watch when the R179 comes in, then some nice things are gonna play in... The foamers are gonna cry, just like when the Slants went byebye. But you know what, let them keep wasting their time arguing, more time flies fast.

Me foam over brand new cars or any cars?! The only cars I love the most are the Redbirds, OVER any car in this system.. Yet do I complain about them not being in service? I still see them around, but I don't go jumping and screaming so HAPPPPPPY cuz I pass thru one. I'd be happy to get a ride, but of course not in a nut-ful way. Of course, this doesn't make me a foamer, even with me in a :) way.

Hey, new fans are joining each day. There WILL be New tech foamers out there someday. Hey there are some around in this world. I like the new techs. My fav the R142s.

You are clearly in a fantasy world.

LOL.

The headways for the (C) is 10 minutes

Duh. That is not the only line with similar frequencies. The same is true for the (F), (N), (2), (3) lines to name a few.

and sometimes you can wait easily over 20 minutes for a (C). In any event, I don't see how you can make it seem like they don't breakdown that often when they have the highest breakdown ratio of any of the subway cars in service.

The reason for the 20 minute wait could be a whole multitude of other problems. We went through this yesterday, too. Also, while the R32s may breakdown more than the other cars, that doesn't mean that every single instance of a delay on the (C) is because of that.

And this nonsense about the R32s not being dirty... :lol:

This is not dirty by any definition of the word:

r32_interior.png

along with poorer AC and announcements, all of which are important when trying to get from point A to point B.

Long ago people survived without either of those. Also, no amount of announcements is going to help some passengers. If they want an (A) to the Rockaways and get one to Lefferts then announcements will do little to distinguish between the two.

The foamers are gonna cry, just like when the Slants went byebye.

I wasn't in the NYC transit scene for the retirement of the Slants, how did that go?

But you know what, let them keep wasting their time arguing, more time flies fast.

Agreed.

Me foam over brand new cars or any cars?! The only cars I love the most are the Redbirds, OVER any car in this system.. Yet do I complain about them not being in service? I still see them around, but I don't go jumping and screaming so HAPPPPPPY cuz I pass thru one. I'd be happy to get a ride, but of course not in a nut-ful way. Of course, this doesn't make me a foamer, even with me in a :) way.

OK, that's cool, just making sure you're not making a hypocritical statement. :)

Hey, new fans are joining each day. There WILL be New tech foamers out there someday. Hey there are some around in this world. I like the new techs. My fav the R142s.

My favorite new tech trains would be the 142As. The 143s are cool too.

I'm saying that some riders do indeed avoid using the (C) because the service is unreliable (partially due to the current rolling stock on the line) and the cars suck.

To be honest with you I'm not wild about the R68s either and my not liking them will increase more as they age, but what it comes down to is older cars are less reliable and dirtier, along with poorer AC and announcements, all of which are important when trying to get from point A to point B.

If im going from 14th to penn station I try to get the (E) or the (A) because of the problems with the (C). The 68s suck too, but we are stuck with them for a while, lucky I rarely need to use the (B) or (D) for anything. Bad announcements are bad for me since i have hearing loss, and i cant hear what they say on the loudspeaker in the old trains.

Oh please... The (F)(N) and (2) all have relatively new cars and the (3) has cars that aren't that old either. Breakdowns have been noted as being a problem with the main problem with the (C) . As for the photo... How nice of you to find a photo of an R32 with a clean interior... I'm sure if I had my cell phone out I can post a photo of a not so clean R32... :lol:

Oh please... The (F)(N) and (2) all have relatively new cars and the (3) has cars that aren't that old either.

So why do they have low frequencies?

As for the photo... How nice of you to find a photo of an R32 with a clean interior... I'm sure if I had my cell phone out I can post a photo of a not so clean R32... :lol:

I didn't find it on the internet, I took it. I'd like to see one of yours now.

Archived