Oldest MTA New York City Transit Subway Cars Getting Their Final Makeover

Harry

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's the foamers? Say the names and explain why...

Obviously you and your partner... You two talk about these cars as if they're people or something... :lol: The riding public will be glad to see them go. In fact the (MTA) should've added a clause into the bid that gives the manufacturer a bonus if they make the R179s quicker. :lol:

Obviously you and your partner... You two talk about these cars as if they're people or something... :lol: The riding public will be glad to see them go. In fact the (MTA) should've added a clause into the bid that gives the manufacturer a bonus if they make the R179s quicker. :lol:

No we did not, we were also not foaming over anything and you know that...

Continue to act like a childish brat bitching and teasing, I am done here....

I have much more important things to do then to argue with hypocritical flamboyant typical jackasses like you...Have fun while you still can...I still wasn't foaming and complaining about anything....

All I gotta say if the R32s were so bad, why did I see like 5 trainsets of them running during the overnight on the (A) last night, like one person said in toronto it costs much more out there, and they are just starting to upgrade, I'm tierd of hearing oh I pay 2.25, TBH who gives a shit, I pay 104 a month and I don't care what I ride, as long as the shit doesn't break down, and I've had yet to ride an R32 that broke down

Damn, do you guys know how to beat a dead horse or what? Yeah, they're old; yeah, they're sticking around. Deal with it.

I swear, some of you cats are confusing "mass transit" with "personal transportation". Yeah, most of the trains are older than some of you would like. Some, older than others. Again, it is what it is. As long as those cars can run, they will run in service until they can't anymore. You can complain until the cows come home and it won't mean a damn thing. You want to know why? Because $2.25 (or $5.50) per ride does not buy a new rail car. Also, I must ask the question, how many transit systems in this country run NTT fleets exclusively? I'm guessing not many. I know PATH runs only PA5s, but that system is so small, it's not even a fair comparison. That also begs another question: what is old in terms of rail cars? I've noticed a couple of posts in this thread about the 6X cars. If anyone has a problem with the 62s and 68s, I suggest you avoid the subway entirely. Those cars were built in the '80s and are among some of the best performers in the system, right behind the NTTs. They're not going anywhere.

Another thing that has been bothering me is the fact that some of you other cats are so stuck up on the idea that just because you like a particular train class, everyone else must do so as well. Not everyone is going to favor the 32s simply because of its staying power. Opinions don't work like that. Some people just aren't going to like a particular train class. And when said people deliver legitimate reasons as to why they don't, accept it and move on. There is no need to perpetuate this crap ad nauseum like we're treading new ground.

For goodness sake, seven pages of back and forth BS.

Yeah yeah whatever....I'm sorry VG8, lilbluefoxie, and Brighton Express (who left this site because of rough disagreements *facepalm*)..Happy? There, okay.... <_<<_<<_<

The <_< faces don't help the situation... a mod just told you to chill and you can't hear? What is this site coming to...

What is this site coming to...

Lemme answer that for you chief.

I was in this thread, and I said the SAME thing that Lance said. But obviously, you're not listening, not to anyone....

NO. THIS ENDS RIGHT NOW. STOP IT RIGHT THERE. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THESE GOD DAMN WARS.

Smh, the thing people can't understand is how to hold the trigger words back. Just like a rookie soldier who is scared of battle. One small movement and it is open fire. Smh.

to Lefferts then announcements will do little to distinguish between the two.

I wasn't in the NYC transit scene for the retirement of the Slants, how did that go?

Well as much as I remember, there were a few buffs who did get a little over board over the Slants being retired. Some suggested these should of went to the (E), only because it sucked seeing only R40M/42s at JAM. I do remember a lot did ride the last set on the (A), of course I was not apart of that. Tho now a day, much focus is going to the R32s, which is next on the death list. Of course still got time.

Of course aside from car type, I DO remember a small number of fans started bashing the orange (M) when it was planned late 2009/2010. I remember at least one railfan denied riding any orange (M) train only because it wasn't a (V)... SMH...

Now the cycle continues with the R32s vs the new.

I've mentioned before, I love the old, but I think we serously need to make a move already. Hopefully when the R179 piles in around 2014/2015 (as I read) it will finally keep our system moving. By 2017 all R32s should be retired.

All I gotta say if the R32s were so bad, why did I see like 5 trainsets of them running during the overnight on the (A) last night, like one person said in toronto it costs much more out there, and they are just starting to upgrade, I'm tierd of hearing oh I pay 2.25, TBH who gives a shit, I pay 104 a month and I don't care what I ride, as long as the shit doesn't break down, and I've had yet to ride an R32 that broke down

Its not all about breakage, most of the car types have problems communicating with the passengers to get to/from A & B. While us New Yorkers SHOULD already know how to get here and there, not everyone is a New Yorker. We got tourist, Outsiders and EVEN New Yorkers, who may not have been around the city well to know where to go. Of course, partly the people are at fault for not reading signs or maps around.

The simple fact that the two of you got so worked up/defensive over the retirement and the "negative comments" about some old heaps of metal rolling about illustrates my point. :lol: I think it's pretty funny actually.

I think we could cool this down now.....

If people don't like what others say, just don't comment.

Damn, do you guys know how to beat a dead horse or what? Yeah, they're old; yeah, they're sticking around. Deal with it.

I swear, some of you cats are confusing "mass transit" with "personal transportation". Yeah, most of the trains are older than some of you would like. Some, older than others. Again, it is what it is. As long as those cars can run, they will run in service until they can't anymore. You can complain until the cows come home and it won't mean a damn thing. You want to know why? Because $2.25 (or $5.50) per ride does not buy a new rail car. Also, I must ask the question, how many transit systems in this country run NTT fleets exclusively? I'm guessing not many. I know PATH runs only PA5s, but that system is so small, it's not even a fair comparison. That also begs another question: what is old in terms of rail cars?

PATH maybe small, but surely has a lot of people who use it daily. But for a small system it was pretty fast to replace the old PA1 thru 4 serious cars. Unlike the NYCTA which is pretty big. With the variety of cars we got, surely each car type will take time for replacement. One day of course, we will be 100% NTT. Only thing the older car lovers have to do is enjoy whats here, less arguments and keep it moving. Time is flying!

Those R32 subway cars will reach age 50 by the time of their retirement.

You know they are 49 right when retired they will be 56 they will be the oldest subway cars to run for NYC the Low Vs were 55 when retired R32s will all be gone by 2017 and thats when they turn 56

I find it funny that I'm probably one of the few out here to remember the R32s when they came on the scene. They were loved back then and have served their riders pretty well since Day One. They will be replaced eventually, like everything else, so get over it. I must warn my fellow posters that they probably should get used to having older cars around the system for a while longer. The MTA, unlike many of the other systems world-wide, gets it's funding both locally and federally with the federal money dependent on the party in charge in DC. I find it funny that some of the posters in this thread seemingly support people running for office this year who have put a bulls-eye on programs that provide funding for mass transit in America. You can't have it both ways. Remember that the MTA capital programs which are partially dependant on federal monies are not written in stone. Those of us eligible to vote better think carefully this year before entering the voting booth. Those who decry the current state of the subway system's rolling stock better look at the big picture because the comments posted in the Off Topics election thread by some are directly connected to the subway and bus threads. Just my opinion. Carry on.

they were loved when they came out because half the system was using those dinosaurs of a rail car known as the BMT standards and finally they were getting a large new order to retire those relics.

As for the MTA's funding, if they weren't such a bloated bureauocracy I would be more sympathetic to their cries for more funding. They need to take a hint from other transit systems around the country on ways to save money. I've travelled a lot to many places around the country, and for a city that likes to pride itself as the capital of the world, our infrastucture (highways, airports, and trains) are comparable to third world countries. the streets aren't riddled with potholes in San Francisco, the airport is modern and clean in Norfolk, the transit system is clean and safe in Boston. They're smaller cities with smaller populations but yet they do a much better job probably with a lot less tax revenue, especially in Norfolk where the taxes are much lower in Virginia than New York.

inb4 someone says if i dont like NY i should move, oh I am planning on it the first opportunity I get.

You know they are 49 right when retired they will be 56 they will be the oldest subway cars to run for NYC the Low Vs were 55 when retired R32s will all be gone by 2017 and thats when they turn 56

That title goes to the Hi-V Gibbs cars the first steel passenger cars ever built. They were built in 1904, although they are not the oldest equipment to ever run as that goes to the Q-Types at 66 years, but the Qs were wooden elevated cars. R32s are around 48 years old and by the time they retire they will be 53. To be honest with everyone while the R32s hitting 50 years is an achievement in the career of those cars I'm not really all that impressed. Only reasons I like the Hi-Vs more is because they along with the Composites were the first subway cars and the Hi-Vs themselves were the first steel passenger cars in existence at that period of time when they were built. Now if the R32s hit 60 years old or even close to 60 then yeah I would be impressed. As for that back and forth that went on well I have nothing to then saying R32s or mentioning R32s in any way around the threads always leads to threads going off topic and leads to a back and forth contest. That's all folks.

Well as much as I remember, there were a few buffs who did get a little over board over the Slants being retired. Some suggested these should of went to the (E), only because it sucked seeing only R40M/42s at JAM. I do remember a lot did ride the last set on the (A), of course I was not apart of that.

What's the difference? The cars would have to be replaced eventually regardless of where they ran.

Also, is there any reason why you skipped the last ride on the (A)? It may be a huge gathering for foamers (the same is true in Toronto; you should have seen the last run of our H4s) but the pull of riding the car for the last time overpowers my contempt for foamers.

Of course aside from car type, I DO remember a small number of fans started bashing the orange (M) when it was planned late 2009/2010. I remember at least one railfan denied riding any orange (M) train only because it wasn't a (V)... SMH...

Now THIS is foaming at its most extreme.

Its not all about breakage, most of the car types have problems communicating with the passengers to get to/from A & B. While us New Yorkers SHOULD already know how to get here and there, not everyone is a New Yorker. We got tourist, Outsiders and EVEN New Yorkers, who may not have been around the city well to know where to go. Of course, partly the people are at fault for not reading signs or maps around.

There are a lot of people who don't know how to listen to announcements. Even on an NTT, the conductor could make an announcement about some sort of G.O. (such as if a station is being bypassed) and the passengers still won't listen, and will continue to act stupid until their stop gets skipped, and then they will give the conductor crap for it.

There are a lot of people who don't know how to listen to announcements. Even on an NTT, the conductor could make an announcement about some sort of G.O. (such as if a station is being bypassed) and the passengers still won't listen, and will continue to act stupid until their stop gets skipped, and then they will give the conductor crap for it.

Completely agree. One time when me and my class were coming home from a field trip of Randell's Island, as we were on the (4), they were suppose to get off at Fulton for the (A), but missed their stop due to them not paying any attention to the announcements until they're stop was bypassed. I suggest they take the B46 bus to Fulton for the (A)(C) after getting off at Utica, but I realize my mistake, silly me lol (Never get off for the bus and then back onto the subway! You have to pay the fare! LOL :D)...I had then told them to transfer across the Atlantic Avenue station platform for a Manhattan-bound (4) that was arriving at the station...

Yeah, people just don't pay attention and you always have to be there to cater to them...

IMO The R46s have better AC than the R32s, Sorry... When the train is full, most of the times I feel cool air, but other times I feel nothing but regular air bursting around.

Tho the all time best of the AC were the R44s~~~!!

That is also one of the best trains with A/C, along with R32. Too bad they are now on the SIR...... :(

Archived