Lights on Lights off?

Lennyj17

I noticed that a lot of MTAB Express BO's like to turn the light off during the Express portion of the trip.....I must admit in the winter time when its dark around 4:30/5pm this is nice feature helps me sleep better during the trip. It also helps with keeping the bus quiet

On the other hand I noticed a lot of NYCT Express bo's keep their buses lit up like a Christmas Tree even when its dark out and to that effect a lot people treat the Express bus like a Local Bus...Loud Conversations the whole trip...Cell Phones ringing, Babies Crying, Mothers slapping their children to behave.

Is there a Lights On, Lights Off Policy difference between NYCT and MTAB BO's or its just the different culture of the two..

I noticed that a lot of MTAB Express BO's like to turn the light off during the Express portion of the trip.....I must admit in the winter time when its dark around 4:30/5pm this is nice feature helps me sleep better during the trip. It also helps with keeping the bus quiet

On the other hand I noticed a lot of NYCT Express bo's keep their buses lit up like a Christmas Tree even when its dark out and to that effect a lot people treat the Express bus like a Local Bus...Loud Conversations the whole trip...Cell Phones ringing, Babies Crying, Mothers slapping their children to behave.

Is there a Lights On, Lights Off Policy difference between NYCT and MTAB BO's or its just the different culture of the two..

I see this on intercity coaches and on long rides. I guess there is some policy regarding that.

hmm.... IINM, there was a small discussion on here a while back regarding what you're asking.... Don't know if there's a policy, per se.....

You're right though, for w/e the reason, ppl. do tone down (speaking) when the lights are off..... I notice this on the BM's; it's like a dead silence once we approach the tunnel (BBT)......

However, I'm not really sure that mtabus b/o's turn off the interior lights more than nyct b/o's (never really noticed enough to compare, to be honest)....

Are you talking more about the MCI/Prevosts than the city buses? There are a few NABI's at NJT that have reading lights and they only keep that on during the regular city routes (84, 86, 89, etc),

I'm talking about the MTA Express buses......MTAB vs NYCT, I notice a stark Lights on Lights off policy culture difference between the 2 divisions.

Yup, I remember starting it. It may or may not help here:

http://www.nyctransi...32426-at-night/

Thanks....Well I think the MTA should make it policy on Express Buses that Lights are Turned Out after last pick-up stop or at least during Non-Stop Portion of the Trip......I think most commuters prefer this.

I noticed some QM's once they hit the 59 St Bridge they will leave their lights off for the rest of the trip, even along Union Tpk as people are exiting, While some will Turn their lights back on at the first Drop Off Point....Either way lights are out during the Non-Stop Portion at least.

The NYCT X63-64-68 BO's never turn their lights out or at least I've never witnessed this....

Yes, there is a policy that states that interior lights are to remain on in all buses that are in service. When you ride MTAB expresses, you might be running into a lot of ops from the PBL days that don't much care for MTA policy....

Yes, there is a policy that states that interior lights are to remain on in all buses that are in service. When you ride MTAB expresses, you might be running into a lot of ops from the PBL days that don't much care for MTA policy....

Yeah, technically all buses must have their interior lights on at all times - whether in service or deadheading.

I leave my shit off though when I deadhead, and so does 90% of other operators. If I get caught, I get caught. Fucck it.

So would you get pissed on if say your lights were off, at your will, in service, in daylight?

Archived