Lower East Side Residents Concerned About Proposed Greyhound Stop

Cait Sith

A proposed bus stop on the Lower East Side is raising concerns among some local residents.

Greyhound and Peter Pan are looking to put in a new bus stop near Seward Park to ferry passengers to and from Philadelphia.

The companies are proposing eight pickups and eight drop-offs, seven days a week.

Some residents are voicing concerns, including what they see as even more bus congestion, possible health problems and proximity to a nearby playground.

"This is not the place for a bus stop," said one resident. "I am not opposed to a bus stop in the general neighborhood, just not right in front of the children's playground."

"It just adds a bigger bus stop to too many bus stops already," said a second.

City Councilwoman Margaret Chin said the stop is a good idea but says the spot should be chosen with input from others.

"I support having affordable transportation in our community," Chin said. "And a lot of these long-distance buses are important to the economy in the community here, especially down here in Chinatown. But we wanted a way to regulate and sort of manage where they pick up and drop off passengers."

Greyhound said bus passengers will not have access to Seward Park and said they will have crews on site to help with passengers and any garbage.

More than 800 people have signed an online petition to prevent the new bus stop. The local community board is meeting on Tuesday to discuss the proposal.

Source - Click here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a former long time resident & supporter of the Lower East Side, I agree with the residents. A stop should not be right across/infront of Seward Park Playground and Handball courts. A much more viable location would be along Allen Street and/or East Broadway.

My question is though is this service so necessary that they need to add more stops anywhere? I mean what are folks currently doing that need service to Philadelphia in the area??

They are trying to capitalize on the number of Chinatown companies that got terminated. There's only a handful left down there.

It's bad enough there's a few buses that layover there. Personally, the only spot I can see working is on South Street near pathmark. Allen st is already bad, east Broadway will become bad if it goes there. That's just my opinion.

Canal and Allen would be somewhat ideal. I was thinking East Broadway for some reason when I meant Canal. Or rather, Straus Square by the East Broadway (F) Train stop, right there would also be ideal for it, get those cabbies off of that area!

This is another example of why IMO a regional bus station along lines of say the GW Bridge Bus Terminal should been bulit somwhere in Lower Manhattan instead of the Lower East Side/Chinatown area. It could housed both NJ Transit buses and also Greyhound/Bolt Bus and other intercity regional routes in area say near South Ferry and near all of the Downtown Subway lines/Path. Plus best of all no NIMBYS.

I look at this another way.....

New York City is blessed with a wonderful network of subways that can wisk people rapidly from all over town to the centrally located Port Authority Bus Terminal. From there you can get frequent service to all points. Problem of long-distance buses disrupting local streets in various neighborhoods solved. Just the way it was intended when built over a half century ago. Diluting market to pickups all over town would result in need to cutback in frequency of service that would be counterproductive.

While the PABT has long reached maximum capacity, there is plenty of room around it towards the Lincoln Tunnel for expansion, if the PA can be persuaded by the city.....

If it is deemed desirable to have a downtown terminal, perhaps the best location would be close by the Holland Tunnel? Less street running for faster schedules.....

If it is deemed desirable to have a downtown terminal, perhaps the best location would be close by the Holland Tunnel? Less street running for faster schedules.....

Not as accessible as the Seward Park area though. I guess thats where they are getting at.

• 1 month later...

Update.

Community Board 3 is out with its November meeting agendas. One item of particular interest: the transportation committee’s November 14th hearing, which will include a proposal from Greyhound for a bus stop on Pike Street, between East Broadway and Division. In September, residents beat back a plan from Greyhound’s new discount “YO! Bus” service for a stop in front of Seward Park on Essex Street.

The agenda indicates the stop would “would be on the small median (not the sidewalk directly adjacent to the former gas station). The closest street address is 2 Pike Street.”

The meeting takes place at 6:30 p.m. on November 14th at LaMama, 47 Great Jones Street.

Source - http://www.thelodownny.com/leslog/2012/10/yo-bus-stop-propsed-on-pike-street-near-east-broadway.html

You know, it would be better if they had a stop in Battery park instead. That way, they could just leave through the Brooklyn Battery tunnel (or whatever the hell they call it now). Less traffic in that area compared to Canal street.

That doesn't make any sense considering they are trying to capitalize on the loss of Chinatown bus services IN Chinatown!

Archived