Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
mark1447

In Texas It Will Soon Be Legal to Drive at a Category 1 Hurricane Speed

In Texas It Will Soon Be Legal to Drive at the Wind Speed of a Category 1 Hurricane

Texas-85-mph-limit-could-spread-QL28235E-x-large.jpg

As the saying goes, ‘everything is bigger in Texas,’ and soon that will apply to the speed limit. The Texas Transportation Commission approved a new maximum speed limit of 85 m.p.h. That will make the Lone Star State the lone state with claim to the highest speed limit in the nation when it is implemented in November. As the Los Angeles Times points out, that means you can legally drive faster than hurricane force winds.

The first stretch of road slated for the speedy honor will be a 41-mile stretch of brand new toll road set for completion in November connecting Austin to Seguin.

Read More:

http://transportationnation.org/2012/09/07/in-texas-it-will-soon-be-legal-to-drive-at-the-wind-speed-of-a-category-1-hurricaine/

Edited by mark1447
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for Pioneering Texas!

Now, you see Texas is doing this on one toll road so far, they get money out of it either way. But other states might not be so quick to do so because the local cops along the routes use the artificially low speed limit to stick their hand's into motorists pockets.

They only use those speeds, 75, 80, and now 85 on very lightly used freeways in rural areas, in this case this tollway is from what i understand very expensive so it keeps traffic counts low.

I wish California adopted an 85mph speed limit in the very rural part of i-5 between LA and Sacremento/san fran

like i said, they need to raise the speed limits on long island, just about everyone does 65-70 on the LIE anyway.

On I-95 too. Coming back to NY at night, you'll get killed by trucks if you stick to 55.

• Upvote 1

We could use higher speed limits out here too!

On our family road trip to North Carolina last month speed limits were 70 on the interstate, especially through Virginia. Man, that was fun!

On I-95 too. Coming back to NY at night, you'll get killed by trucks if you stick to 55.

Didn't NJDOT proposed a new 70 MPH limit on I95/NJTP before?

Before the speedlimit of 55 MPH was forced on people, most states you could drive pretty fast on highways, parkways etc..as long as it was safe. In Nevada they wouldnt pull you over unless you were going over 80 - 85 mph and werent driving safely. The whole 55 MPH speed limit was imposed during the gas crisis of the 1970s to save gas since the carburated cars back then got optimal gas mileage at that speed.. It had nothing to do with safety. most Highways, Thruways etc should be atleast 15 MPH higer than they actually are.

Edited by Warduke
  • Upvote 1

Before the speedlimit of 55 MPH was forced on people, most states you could drive pretty fast on highways, parkways etc..as long as it was safe. In Nevada they wouldnt pull you over unless you were going over 80 - 85 mph and werent driving safely. The whole 55 MPH speed limit was imposed during the gas crisis of the 1970s to save gas since the carburated cars back then got optimal gas mileage at that speed.. It had nothing to do with safety. most Highways, Thruways etc should be atleast 15 MPH higer than they actually are.

people still should have had the choice to drive as fast as they wanted back then too, the people then who could afford higher fuel costs would drive faster and the ones who couldn't would slow down (hopefully keep to the right lane as well)

people still should have had the choice to drive as fast as they wanted back then too, the people then who could afford higher fuel costs would drive faster and the ones who couldn't would slow down (hopefully keep to the right lane as well)

Well the problem was the gas crisis. People would wait on line for hours for gas when the gas station was finally able to get a gas delivery which were few and far between. You could only buy gas on certain days depending on the last few letters or numbers on your license plate.

Quick story: my mom knew a doctor who owned a sports car and never took it over 55. The reason why, is because he saw people survive crashes at 55. not 85.

But again, itsa rural highway, so it could be a good idea

Well the problem was the gas crisis. People would wait on line for hours for gas when the gas station was finally able to get a gas delivery which were few and far between. You could only buy gas on certain days depending on the last few letters or numbers on your license plate.

So? People dont need the nanny state to make them slow down to save gas in such a shortage.

So? People dont need the nanny state to make them slow down to save gas in such a shortage.

Hey I dont agree with it either but that is why they did it.

I wish California adopted an 85mph speed limit in the very rural part of i-5 between LA and Sacremento/san fran

What would be the point of high speed rail then?

What would be the point of high speed rail then?

Well, You got Airplane vs High Speed Rail, now just add vehicle to the competition. Not like everywhere High Speed Rail would compete. Especially since rail is a fixed system.

like i said, they need to raise the speed limits on long island, just about everyone does 65-70 on the LIE anyway.

Regarding our region, the LIE should be 65 mph only in Suffolk County and Eastern Nassau until the Hicksville area. 55 MPH is fair for Queens and most of Nassau.

The only part of NYS that should be 70-75 MPH should be I-87(Northway) between Saratoga and Plattsburgh and also the Thruway on portions between the Buffalo and Albany areas.

Regarding going to 85mph in rural Texas on a paid toll freeway, all i can say is what next is the autobarn type speeds lol. :o

Regarding our region, the LIE should be 65 mph only in Suffolk County and Eastern Nassau until the Hicksville area. 55 MPH is fair for Queens and most of Nassau.

The only part of NYS that should be 70-75 MPH should be I-87(Northway) between Saratoga and Plattsburgh and also the Thruway on portions between the Buffalo and Albany areas.

Regarding going to 85mph in rural Texas on a paid toll freeway, all i can say is what next is the autobarn type speeds lol. :o

people do 70-75 on the LIE all thru nassau and i rarely see any fender benders. Only the Parkways arent designed for people to go that fast.

You cant do 55 MPH on the LIE people would be flying past you like crayz and the whole NYS I-87 should be 75 atleast!

BTW, its Audobahn.

Well, You got Airplane vs High Speed Rail, now just add vehicle to the competition. Not like everywhere High Speed Rail would compete. Especially since rail is a fixed system.

I was joking. :mellow:

You cant do 55 MPH on the LIE people would be flying past you like crayz and the whole NYS I-87 should be 75 atleast!

BTW, its Audobahn.

I live in the Hudson Valley and trust me IMO 65mph is fair on both NYS Thruway between Rockland County and Glen Falls and portions of the Albany-Buffalo section. In winter those turns in ice can be slick.

On the main Albany-Buffalo NY Thruway outside of the big cities should no more than 70mph. Dittfo for the Northway between Glen Falls and Plattsburgh.

* autobahn....

Anyway, 55 on the LIE? They should up it to 70 - that's what a lot of ppl. do on the LIE as it is now; within nassau or suffolk..... ughk @ ppl. driving slow on the fast lane....

As for texas, they may as well up it to "cat 2"; quite certain there's nuff people pushing triple digits on those long barren stretches of road(s).....

• Upvote 1

Well I posted this many times and I'll post it again, a fair and square Mile Per Hour for the highways mentioned are:

55 MPH - For Interstate Highways with no or limited shoulders (LIE/I-495 between Van Wyck and the Cross Island).

60 MPH - For Interstate Highways with shoulders but at Suburban Areas (LIE/I-495 between the QMT and Grand Central and Cross Island and Exit 39).

65 MPH - For Interstate Highways with shoulders but at more lengthy portions of the highway (LIE/I-495 between Exit 39 and Exit 73, NJ Turnpike I-95 designated sections, I-87 between Cross County and Woodbury Toll Plaza/Woodbury Toll Plaza and Saratoga Springs/I-90 from Massachusetts State Line and Pennsylvania State Line.) ***Albany, Schenectady and Syracuse are exceptions as I-90 passes thru City Centers

70 MPH - For rural Interstate Highways and 65 qualifications (NJ Turnpike non-I-95 designated sections, Adirondack Northway/I-87 between Saratoga Springs and 1 mile before US-CA Border.) *FYI - Me and my dad reached 85 here and other vehicles were still blowing past us at around 95-105mph, we are still the slowest at that time of the day we were in the Adirondacks, and this is 100% true.

Note 1: Legislation still has to pass in Albany and Trenton in their respective states because the current state speed limit for NY and NJ is 65MPH.

Note 2: Reason why Texas can get 85MPH is considering the state's size and the amount of super-rural areas it has, 85 would be suitable for the areas, 70 and 75 would just be a tad slow and not literally going to be comfy for drivers driving long distances.

Edited by KeystoneRegional
  • Upvote 2

I could live with Keystone proposals lol. :D

Well I posted this many times and I'll post it again, a fair and square Mile Per Hour for the highways mentioned are:

55 MPH - For Interstate Highways with no or limited shoulders (LIE/I-495 between Van Wyck and the Cross Island).

60 MPH - For Interstate Highways with shoulders but at Suburban Areas (LIE/I-495 between the QMT and Grand Central and Cross Island and Exit 39).

65 MPH - For Interstate Highways with shoulders but at more lengthy portions of the highway (LIE/I-495 between Exit 39 and Exit 73, NJ Turnpike I-95 designated sections, I-87 between Cross County and Woodbury Toll Plaza/Woodbury Toll Plaza and Saratoga Springs/I-90 from Massachusetts State Line and Pennsylvania State Line.) ***Albany, Schenectady and Syracuse are exceptions as I-90 passes thru City Centers

70 MPH - For rural Interstate Highways and 65 qualifications (NJ Turnpike non-I-95 designated sections, Adirondack Northway/I-87 between Saratoga Springs and 1 mile before US-CA Border.) *FYI - Me and my dad reached 85 here and other vehicles were still blowing past us at around 95-105mph, we are still the slowest at that time of the day we were in the Adirondacks, and this is 100% true.

Note 1: Legislation still has to pass in Albany and Trenton in their respective states because the current state speed limit for NY and NJ is 65MPH.

Note 2: Reason why Texas can get 85MPH is considering the state's size and the amount of super-rural areas it has, 85 would be suitable for the areas, 70 and 75 would just be a tad slow and not literally going to be comfy for drivers driving long distances.

OK, I'm not a very experienced driver, I'm the first to admit it. I've only been driving for a little over a year now. But I've been on the LIE where everyone including police was doing 70-75 mph comfortably, no problem. I've been on the LIE when people were going that speed and the cops were able to bring traffic to a complete stop with a roadblock while some guy moved his car to the side or some BS.

But there are parts in the United States like Texas and places like the desert where there is no Speed Limit and you can go as fast as you want. Of course that wouldn't work in New York, but that doesn't mean on long highways that the speed limit should be that low. The longer stretch highways like thruways and interstates should be more than 70 mph.