Damaged on 9/11, NYC Transit Bus a Restored Phoenix of Red, White and Blue

Harry

What exactly caused its damage.

Probably debris that was on fire fell from the towers and made contact with the bus....

A LOT of vehicles that was near the site that day got burnt out like that MCI, IIRC, some even was burning before the towers collapsed!

Sightly off topic but its crazy everyone forgets about the Path Cars that was left in the Old WTC station on 9/11, some of them still exist inside a hanger in JFK Airport, not the entire trainset just some cars, but I wonder if some of those cars were returned to service.

I don't think everyone forgot about them.

I kinda doubt they were returned to service. I don't remember the extent of the damages, but I kinda doubt it was worth restoring them especially being directly below the site. I do hope they would display parts of one car in the WTC museum just like they have a destroyed fire truck.

Sightly off topic but its crazy everyone forgets about the Path Cars that was left in the Old WTC station on 9/11, some of them still exist inside a hanger in JFK Airport, not the entire trainset just some cars, but I wonder if some of those cars were returned to service.

As per Wikipedia...

"Cars 139, 143, 160, 612, 745, 750, 845 were left under the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 and survived the collapse. They were stored out of service and stripped of usable parts. Several cars have been sent to the Smithsonian in Washington D.C."

I know about the damn fire and stuff, I just wanted to know if the fire was the reason.

Well by looking at the picture, it looks like something huge (perhaps a building of some sort) fell on top of it and perhaps spontaneously combusted.

Or I could be wrong, im not an expert in that department

Here is a link of the two PATH cars the PA preserved inside the 9/11 Artifacts Hanger at JFK Airport..

http://blogs.wsj.com/photojournal/2010/11/22/911-artifacts-at-jfk-airport/

143 and 745 are the two cars, photo is near the bottom.

Its too bad they couldn't somehow preserve that MCI that got completely burned out, would have been cool to see in real life in the 9/11 museum whenever it opens.

I think it's a fair question. The bus is not completely crushed so it appears that it wasn't directly struck by debris from the falling towers. It looks like fire damage.

Okay, so it's fire damage. I was also wondering because if a car next to it caught on fire, than the bus would be the second for it to happen and so on. I'll try to rephrase my question next time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived