MTA bigwig hints at trimming 7% discount riders get for MetroCard pay-ride

Harry

[float=left]post-5097-0-59065800-1347462510_thumb.jpg[/float]The (MTA) will propose reducing the 7% discount on the pay-ride bonus MetroCard when it unveils fare-hike options next month, Chairman Joseph Lhota hinted Wednesday morning.

A rider now gets added value when they put at least $10 on a MetroCard. That’s a 70-cent savings on every $10.

"Do we really need to give that level of a discount?" Lhota asked Wednesday.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-59065800-1347462510_thumb.jpg

I agree... Also considering the stupid amounts that you end up with that you can't fully use, they would be better off not giving one and putting the money to better use like more fare enforcement.

I always thought the idea of removing agents (both PT and FT) was to have a combination of a cop and machines man every non-HEET turnstyle around the clock or at least during the day until they can all get converted to HEETs (which eventually will happen), for both fare evasion and security.

If they scrap the PPR Metrocard, i hope they bring back both the 1-day fun pass(at least offer it for use only on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays as compromise) and also something VG8 may like the 30-day Express Bus Plus Unlimited MC as well.

It would be nice but I doubt that'll happen. Quite frankly having to load up several cards for the month is rather annoying. I refilled two cards Monday night, so that will last me for two weeks, but I think it is stupid that you can only put one refill on the card at a time.

Wasn't there some type of all-access express bus/subway pass years ago?

Yes, there was a monthly Unlimited express bus pass that was good on the subways and local buses, but they discontinued it saying that it was too expensive to replace. I think it was $120.00 at the time going back about 7 years ago. I started using the express bus when I was 24 which was around 2006 and by then they had already gotten rid of it. They had the weekly Express Bus Plus Metrocard at that time at $41.00. I think they just thought that the monthly was too good of a deal... When you compare $200.00 - $250.00, I would agree with that, since that is what I pay now depending on how many weeks are in the month. I'm sure the monthly wouldn't cost that much. Maybe $175.00 at the most which is still a steal of a deal.

If they scrap the PPR Metrocard, i hope they bring back both the 1-day fun pass(at least offer it for use only on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays as compromise) and also something VG8 may like the 30-day Express Bus Plus Unlimited MC as well.

If the 1 Day Pass were to ever make a return, set the reuse time at ever hour. Because we all know swippers will be wanting to use these babies again.

Didn't they already change some set ups with the Unlimited cards though? I think now you can only swipe at the same station once every 18 minutes.

18 min have been here for the last few years. I think that needs to be changed for at least the 7 Days. Swippers are now using that as an alternative to the 1 Day Pass. The 30 Day can stay with the 18 min limit, since its $$$$.

18 min have been here for the last few years. I think that needs to be changed for at least the 7 Days. Swippers are now using that as an alternative to the 1 Day Pass. The 30 Day can stay with the 18 min limit, since its $$$$.

Yeah but I think at 18 minutes it is reasonable because any longer of a wait and you'll be hurting the riders that need it. At 18 minutes, that's only about 3 swipes per hour... I get ripped off like that. I wanted to take the subway at West 4th street to get over to the Chelsea Market and the stupid turnstile took my swipe so instead of waiting 18 minutes, I walked upstairs and took the M5 over to the M14, but it was rather inconvenient since it was pretty cold outside, hence why I wanted to use the subway to get out from the elements.

Yeah but I think at 18 minutes it is reasonable because any longer of a wait and you'll be hurting the riders that need it. At 18 minutes, that's only about 3 swipes per hour... I get ripped off like that. I wanted to take the subway at West 4th street to get over to the Chelsea Market and the stupid turnstile took my swipe so instead of waiting 18 minutes, I walked upstairs and took the M5 over to the M14, but it was rather inconvenient since it was pretty cold outside, hence why I wanted to use the subway to get out from the elements.

Even if the amount of time were increased, if a problem were to raise, you could head to the Station Agent for help or head to a nearby station (other than the one you were at) and swipe normal. I know its a b9tch when the card strip is damaged. This is why I can't wait for the new tap technology. Testing is suppose to start next year from what I read before.

As for the Swippers, most just don't care about how much time is it in there own MetroCard. Most of them carry multiple cards to allow people in, to bypass the timing. Hey most even illegally open the EM gates for others to go in at a cost. Enforcement to lowering swippers isn't working in most areas. This is why the (MTA) has to work on something to reduce all this. I thought I heard before the MTA was increasing the time interval per swipe.

Do you really need to be making 100 grand a year?

Apparently Governor Cuomo thinks he does and I agree. The man has a huge responsibility to deal with. Let's see you in his position... I think he's doing a hell of a job so far. Big bucks are paid to those with the best talents and he is in charge of the largest transportation agency in the world.

The whole point of the discounts is to encourage the buying of higher amounts as opposed to the $4.50 cards. Why would you give that up? Yes, it's a pita to try and use up the remaining spare change, but it also encourages people to reuse the cards than to just dump them on the ground. I hope they aren't going to bring up that $1 new card surcharge...

The whole point of the discounts is to encourage the buying of higher amounts as opposed to the $4.50 cards. Why would you give that up? Yes, it's a pita to try and use up the remaining spare change, but it also encourages people to reuse the cards than to just dump them on the ground. I hope they aren't going to bring up that $1 new card surcharge...

But you have to admit that with the stupid amounts they give Pay-Per-Ride customers in terms of discounts, it is clear that they really don't want to give the discount anyway, so they might as well just come out and say it. I mean what's the point of leaving me with .21 cents on a card if I can't make the amount even at the machine so I can use the entire bonus? I've gotten rid of a few Pay-Per-Ride cards with dumb amounts on them because it isn't worth the hassle of going to the token booth clerk and putting together several cards for a few pennies. Aside from that, I like using my charge card for Metrocard purchases in case I lose the card, this way I can be refunded, where as with cash I can't.

I could picture them giving a different type of discount with a PPR MetroCard. Instead of a bonus, they could charge a lower price with the MetroCard (say, $2.50 instead of $2.75).

But you have to admit that with the stupid amounts they give Pay-Per-Ride customers in terms of discounts, it is clear that they really don't want to give the discount anyway, so they might as well just come out and say it. I mean what's the point of leaving me with .21 cents on a card if I can't make the amount even at the machine so I can use the entire bonus? I've gotten rid of a few Pay-Per-Ride cards with dumb amounts on them because it isn't worth the hassle of going to the token booth clerk and putting together several cards for a few pennies. Aside from that, I like using my charge card for Metrocard purchases in case I lose the card, this way I can be refunded, where as with cash I can't.

I understand, but for me I don't ride the bus/subway often and ppr is the best option for me. I don't mind going to the clerk to consolidate a few cards into one. It maybe a hassle, but if I have some change, I could always add enough back to the card to get enough for one ride and then get rid of it. Discounts should be kept to encourage 'buying in bulk'. I don't see it as being fair to pay $1 if I need a new card or replace one that's close to its expiration date.

Apparently Governor Cuomo thinks he does and I agree. The man has a huge responsibility to deal with. Let's see you in his position... I think he's doing a hell of a job so far. Big bucks are paid to those with the best talents and he is in charge of the largest transportation agency in the world.

I would LOVE to be in this man's position.. I'll do it for a third of the price!!!!

This jerk is sitting on some fancy leather chair getting driven to work every day while everyone else is cramming onto the trains and struggling to make ends meet, and then he has the nerve to say something like that.

I would LOVE to be in this man's position.. I'll do it for a third of the price!!!!

This jerk is sitting on some fancy leather chair getting driven to work every day while everyone else is cramming onto the trains and struggling to make ends meet, and then he has the nerve to say something like that.

FYI... You are clearly misinformed... He takes the subway to and from work. He's an average guy who understands the commutes folks face.

Archived