Sen. Schumer propose new "Nerd Bus" route connect LIC & Downtown Brooklyn

Shortline Bus

220px-Charles_Schumer_official_portrait.jpg

"U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer today called on the MTA to connect its proposed Brooklyn Tech Triangle and Williamsburg Waterfront bus routes to Cornell’s tech campus hub, first at its temporary location in Google’s NYC headquarters in Manhattan, and then to Roosevelt Island, where Cornell is planning to construct its new major technology campus hub. The proposal, dubbed the ‘Nerd Bus,’ would connect all points of Brooklyn’s fast-emerging tech boom, including the existing tech hub in DUMBO with emerging centers in Downtown Brooklyn and the Navy Yard, north to the neighborhoods of Williamsburg, Greenpoint and Long Island City where many tech employees live and work, and to the new Cornell Tech campus on Roosevelt Island.

“New York is seeing a major tech boom, with Brooklyn and Long Island City leading the way, and now the new Cornell Tech campus on Roosevelt Island is going to be a game changer that further cements New York’s position as a leader in tech,” said Schumer. “You don’t need a PhD to know that connecting these neighborhoods through a ‘Nerd Bus’ is a no-brainer. The only thing separating these neighborhoods in New York City is a lack of transit connections. We need a high-speed rapid transit connection between Roosevelt Island and the Brooklyn Tech Triangle, with stops at new hubs like Long Island City and the Navy Yard, and residential areas in Greenpoint and Williamsburg.”

On July 19, the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) announced that along with service restorations in and around the city, it also proposed the establishment of two new routes: the Brooklyn Tech Triangle route, set to connect DUMBO with Downtown Brooklyn and the Navy Yard, as well as the Williamsburg Waterfront route. The Triangle route intends to service a growing technology hub centered around DUMBO, and is set to grow service for commuters into Downtown Brooklyn and the Navy Yard. This is particularly important because dozens of tech companies are already on the waiting list for new Navy Yard office space, and NYU is proposing a tech campus in the old Jay Street MTA building in Downtown Brooklyn. Cornell is also planning a major tech campus on Roosevelt Island set to open in 2017, and Long Island City in Queens is seen by many as a new tech-hub in the making. As a result, it is vital that MTA create service routes that will meet the increasing demand for transportation from commuters as the tech campus continues to expand into Downtown Brooklyn and the Navy Yard."

http://www.schumer.senate.gov/record.cfm?id=337391

Sorry for posting this a few weeks late just saw this online. Reactions?

I don't think this is funny or clever..... You have people enduring longer commutes in the city thanks to the cuts, and you have this guy schumer proposing some dumb sounding BS such as a "nerd bus".....

If some private company wishes to operate that type of a route (a point to point bus route from downtown brooklyn - roosevelt island connecting those aforementioned destinations), let some private company have at that.... This shouldn't be something the MTA should be delving into.....

I don't think this is funny or clever..... You have people enduring longer commutes in the city thanks to the cuts, and you have this guy schumer proposing some dumb sounding BS such as a "nerd bus".....

If some private company wishes to operate that type of a route (a point to point bus route from downtown brooklyn - roosevelt island connecting those aforementioned destinations), let some private company have at that.... This shouldn't be something the MTA should be delving into.....

Only grudge I have about this is that the B62 ridership might get hurt.

We need a high-speed rapid transit connection between Roosevelt Island and the Brooklyn Tech Triangle

Isn't there one already called the (F) train?

As far as service between Downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg, Greenpoint, & LIC, you basically have the (G) & B62, depending on where exactly you are. If you're trying to get to Roosevelt Island from those areas, it's a little bit harder since you have to transfer to the Q102, but it's definitely doable.

Pay no attention to Chuck. He loves making impractical suggestions at big press conferences to hear himself talk and bring up issues weeks after they were in the public's mind.

has he ever done actually anything or acomplished anything that would directly benefit New York, it seems like all he does is have press conferences, state the obvious, and takes up space in the senate, yet he keeps getting voted back in each time.

Only grudge I have about this is that the B62 ridership might get hurt.

IMO, any loss in B62 usage would be minor, at best...... Doubt they would run a route like that along Manhattan av in Greenpoint, and no regular 62 rider would want to ride through the navy yard & through DUMBO to get downtown.......

Pay no attention to Chuck. He loves making impractical suggestions at big press conferences to hear himself talk and bring up issues weeks after they were in the public's mind.

You're right.... I should consider the source.

Look at that goddamn face... Really

lol.... He does have the look of a shyster....

You summed it up perfectly, he states the obvious or other pointless things just for the attention.

Are you surprised he gets voted in? This is the same state that voted for that carpetbagger Hillary when it was obvious she was using NY as a stepping block for a shameless presidential run.

NY is not a very smart state same place with idiots smokin here with all the penalties. Same state with voters without a shread of intelligence. I am shocked they were smart enough to elect bloomberg.

It must be really dull in Washington DC........

No shit I been there I know how dull it is there.

We need a high-speed rapid transit connection between Roosevelt Island and the Brooklyn Tech Triangle

Isn't there one already called the (F) train?

As far as service between Downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg, Greenpoint, & LIC, you basically have the (G) & B62, depending on where exactly you are. If you're trying to get to Roosevelt Island from those areas, it's a little bit harder since you have to transfer to the Q102, but it's definitely doable.

But the (F) train only stops at a portion of the Island. Not the entire one. Yet requires a connection with the Red Bus or the Q102.

But the (F) train only stops at a portion of the Island. Not the entire one. Yet requires a connection with the Red Bus or the Q102.

Red Bus is less than a dollar, that's not a major expense...

Chuck. It's called the (F) train. Does he even realize how long such a route would be? It's not necessary, and even if it was, you could just combine the B62 and Q102 to do it...

Good point.... guess those patrons figure if they're gonna have to take the red bus anyway, they may as well take it to the tram if it better suits their needs.....

edit:

I remember hearing that usage at Roosevelt Island (F) dropped by 20% last year (concurrently, the tram's usage increased by a similar number; somethin like 15% or so).... Personally, I would take the subway if I lived in RI, but those folks out there apparently love their tram.....

I always said it would be nice to have two buses on the island, so that they could take one end each, and the Q102 wouldn't have to loop to both ends, (and in that alternating fashion, so you never know which was one is going first).

Actually, they changed that. Now all buses serve the north end first.

Archived