Sen. Schumer propose new "Nerd Bus" route connect LIC & Downtown Brooklyn

Shortline Bus

Good point.... guess those patrons figure if they're gonna have to take the red bus anyway, they may as well take it to the tram if it better suits their needs.....

edit:

I remember hearing that usage at Roosevelt Island (F) dropped by 20% last year (concurrently, the tram's usage increased by a similar number; somethin like 15% or so).... Personally, I would take the subway if I lived in RI, but those folks out there apparently love their tram.....

They better like that damn tram after all the upgrade money that was put into it! Plus, i believe it is free, which helps If you are going somewhere that requires an extra transfer or something that you wouldn't get if you first had to take the F.

but those folks out there apparently love their tram.....

They can keep their tram, i know i would never use that tram, even if it means backtracking thru queens on the F, im too scared to ride it cuz its quite high up, and plus it breaks down. I dont wanna be trapped on a tram the whole day ifit breaks

They better like that damn tram after all the upgrade money that was put into it! Plus, i believe it is free, which helps If you are going somewhere that requires an extra transfer or something that you wouldn't get if you first had to take the F.

Nope. You still have to pay the same way you pay for the bus/subway. The only time it would really be more convenient is if you're going somewhere on the far East Side, so you could just get the M15 (or another bus like the Q32). Other than that, you're better off with the train.

The tram might be fun for a one-time trip, but I can't see commuting on it every day.

Nope. You still have to pay the same way you pay for the bus/subway. The only time it would really be more convenient is if you're going somewhere on the far East Side, so you could just get the M15 (or another bus like the Q32). Other than that, you're better off with the train.

The tram might be fun for a one-time trip, but I can't see commuting on it every day.

Good to know, thanks. I know some older people that like the tram because it is easier than going into the subway for them.

They can keep their tram, i know i would never use that tram, even if it means backtracking thru queens on the F, im too scared to ride it cuz its quite high up, and plus it breaks down. I dont wanna be trapped on a tram the whole day ifit breaks
They better like that damn tram after all the upgrade money that was put into it!

I Concur with the both of you here.

Good to know, thanks. I know some older people that like the tram because it is easier than going into the subway for them.

Just FYI, the fare on the tram is (also) $2.25....

Pay no attention to Chuck. He loves making impractical suggestions at big press conferences to hear himself talk and bring up issues weeks after they were in the public's mind.

Isn't that what all politicians do?

We need a high-speed rapid transit connection between Roosevelt Island and the Brooklyn Tech Triangle

Isn't there one already called the (F) train?

As far as service between Downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg, Greenpoint, & LIC, you basically have the (G) & B62, depending on where exactly you are. If you're trying to get to Roosevelt Island from those areas, it's a little bit harder since you have to transfer to the Q102, but it's definitely doable.

I agree with you. Even with having to transfer from the (F) to bus/tram/whatever, it is probably still faster than Chuck's "nerd bus" proposal.

Isn't that what all politicians do?

Some more than others. Chuckie is guilty of this particular one. That being said, at least there are no major scandals surrounding him that I know of. He seems harmless enough.

Back on topic, I like the idea of Cornell providing the shuttle bus, although that would probably be for its own students only. Maybe they could allow people to but passes on it at cheap rates as a PR move or something. I've seen NYU buses in the city and St. John's buses back here in Queens.

The Red bus is uber-reliable... you shouldn't complain if the fare is only 25 cents...

The red bus is packed on RI, and the Q102 is usually next to empty. people will use the red bus to the (F) or tram. The tram is SRO pretty much all the time, and The (F) station is very well used.... people just dont use the Q102.

The Q102 as well as the Q67 and Q103 were one of those routes kept around for coverage. All three mentioned routes would of gotten eliminated if they were NYCT Buses. One bus has to go either the Q102 which never crowds and has less ridership and long headways or the Red Bus which is 25 cents reliable fast and used.

I agree, I would ride the tram as long as I have an unlimited ride or an extra transfer to spare. But I rode the tram before the upgrades and liked the ride. I haven't heard any major issues with the tram now since the upgrade and I do like the new car design. I'd love to take a ride on it again one of these days.

The Q102 as well as the Q67 and Q103 were one of those routes kept around for coverage. All three mentioned routes would of gotten eliminated if they were NYCT Buses. One bus has to go either the Q102 which never crowds and has less ridership and long headways or the Red Bus which is 25 cents reliable fast and used.

Just to say, I wouldn't eliminate either. Maybe I would extend the 102 to Midtown and the 103 as well, but the 67, I would keep, and extend it to Midtown Off Peak hours, since that's when ridership is weak.

The Q102 as well as the Q67 and Q103 were one of those routes kept around for coverage. All three mentioned routes would of gotten eliminated if they were NYCT Buses.

One bus has to go either the Q102 which never crowds and has less ridership and long headways or the Red Bus which is 25 cents reliable fast and used.

I think Middle Villagers would've fought for the 67; that route actually has a decent riderbase during peak hrs believe it or not.....

As for the 102 & 103, hardly anyone actually relies on either those routes, so I agree with you there..... All I tend to see on that route (102) are elderly folks....

As for the 102 having to go (so to speak).... for all I care, they can send the 104 out to RI in its place - that route also has a decent little riderbase.....

Just to say, I wouldn't eliminate either. Maybe I would extend the 102 to Midtown and the 103 as well, but the 67, I would keep, and extend it to Midtown Off Peak hours, since that's when ridership is weak.

1] Sending the 103 to midtown would be much ado about nothing; riders are still gonna seek the (7)....

What would happen is riders would tank at vernon/jackson from the north, and buses towards manhattan would be virtually empty.... May as well keep it in Queens.... On the return trip, from midtown, no one's gonna wanna put up with 20 min peak headways just to get to that part of queens the 103 serves....

2] Sending the 102 to midtown? Well....

* On one end, you already have the 101 going to manhattan which runs up & down steinway (no way is there a greater or even close to an equal demand for actual 31st st service over service along steinway - Yeah, I know you didn't say that, but I'm still makin a point)... besides, the 102 parallels enough of the (N)(Q)..... The aim should be to ease unnecessary duplication, not add to it.... Having the 101 & the 102 would do just that.....

* On the other end... lol.... What riderbase are you really gonna establish enough to have a route running b/w midtown & roosevelt island... Like I said, those folks out there utilize "their" tram.... If usage overall is down on the subway (the (F)) to RI from manhattan, not sure what makes you think those folks would wait for & take a bus to RI, over the F or over taking the tram.....

I'm going to guess the Q102 has good Astoria ridership, hence why it's 7 days a week...

The 102 is used as an alternative to get to/from the (N)(Q) from/to the Astoria projects.... funny thing is, people out there will still pass up 102's for 18's - It is all about that 18 up in that area.... 102 usage aint all that great in Astoria..... Whatever amt. of folks that are on SB 102's pretty much tank out at QBP subway..... You may get some boarding 102's @ QBP riding out to the Queensbridge projects.....

Only reason I think the 102 is 7 days a week is b/c otherwise, there would be a disconnect (bus-wise) b/w RI & Queens on the weekends.....

I would only implement this if the 102's ridership boosted due to the campus...

People favor the red bus because it's cheaper (as peviously stated), and the Q102 gets off the island halfway through... Lots of people are going to the gardens, the Ocagon, and possibly the hospital, Cause the Octagon Express runs are always SRO... People use the red bus going everywhere, to/from thier project/building (RI is half projects, really, but you need a minimum income) to places like Gristedes (which is horrid for the only market on the island), the church, Tram/(F), etc.

IMO, most of you underestimate the Q67. The Q67 has good overall weekday off peak ridership, rush hours it does better than some routes, as it gets standees. The stops at 21 street and 49 Avenue, and 55 Avenue and 50 street, as Eliot Avenue are huge ridership generator. I have taken the Q67 on a midday, it did pretty good, 12 people at max. point. Weekend Service needs help, thats all. There's no need to discontinue the Q67 to an off peak route. Just my two cents.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways something needs to be done with The Q102.

An ambitious plan could be to cut the Q102 all together... RIOC runs a service between the hospitals and Queensboro, link to queens reinstated... B35 said himself it underused in Astoria, ppl use the Q18...

IMO, most of you underestimate the Q67. The Q67 has good overall weekday off peak ridership, rush hours it does better than some routes, as it gets standees. The stops at 21 street and 49 Avenue, and 55 Avenue and 50 street, as Eliot Avenue are huge ridership generator. I have taken the Q67 on a midday, it did pretty good, 12 people at max. point. Weekend Service needs help, thats all. There's no need to discontinue the Q67 to an off peak route. Just my two cents.

Anyways something needs to be done with The Q102.

I've been sayin that about the 67, regarding its weekday ridership.....

Part in bold though, you probably meant, "to a peak route"....

Like I said in another thread, for all I care, they can send the 104 to RI (decrease the peak headways to every 15 mins instead of every 20 & the off peak headways to 20 mins instead of every 30) & get rid of the 102.... Let folks take the (N)(Q) to broadway or the QB local to steinway for bus service to RI....

An ambitious plan could be to cut the Q102 all together... RIOC runs a service between the hospitals and Queensboro, link to queens reinstated... B35 said himself it underused in Astoria, ppl use the Q18...

RIOC won't go for it, but in an ideal world, I'd agree to this 100%....

Something I'd been advocating for, for a minute is the moving of the 19 to the Astoria projects (instead of ending off 21st) in place of the 102 (so they'd have the 18, the 19, and the 103).... outside of the benefit of giving those folks access to the M60 to Manhattan (Harlem), that would also trim the amt. of ppl. taking 18's to northern blvd for flushing...... Too many ppl relying on the problematic 66 as it is (I don't even have to mention the folks taking the 18 to the QB local, then to the 7).... You won't even have to touch the 19's headways either....

Considering this idea & the one I said above, I think that'd be pretty close to being cost neutral:

(discontinuing the 102 + sending the 104 to RI & adjusting the weekday headways 1 extra bus/hour + sending the 19 a short distance to 2nd st in astoria)

Next it's the Q103 leaving. That whole western Queens area doesn't get the best ridership.

Too many people on 69's and 100's......

- 66 ridership west & south of the mall (48th/northern) is weak....

- 102 (in structure) is similar to the 38 - except on the 38, metropolitan av (M) as a "midpoint" is more important to that route than QBP subway is to the 102... If there was no subway service on RI, I'd bet you'd see more folks taking it to 21st/QB or out to QBP..... You'd also see more folks on the tram, but that's neither here nor there for the points I'm making here....

31st st portion is also weak.... Also, there is no need for the 18 & the 102 running b/w astoria projects & 30th av (N)(Q).... The 102 connects to the 19, but virtually no one does that xfer scenario..... If its anything that should be serving QBP from the west, it should be the 103 - but the roads don't allow for looping in & out of Qns plz north & south to get back to serving both ends of vernon blvd.....

- 103 barely takes enough ppl. to where they need to get to; doesn't serve much of anyone.....

Maybe the Q102 can serve LGA instead of Astoria, and terminate it at Queens Plaza. I mean people complain about subway and light rail to LGA, why not make the Q102 go to LGA. It can possibly get useful ridership. Make it go up 31 street to Astoria-Ditmars Blvd, then express without entering the highway to LGA airport.

Maybe the Q102 can serve LGA instead of Astoria, and terminate it at Queens Plaza. I mean people complain about subway and light rail to LGA, why not make the Q102 go to LGA. It can possibly get useful ridership. Make it go up 31 street to Astoria-Ditmars Blvd, then express without entering the highway to LGA airport.

What's the M60 for then? You know every route can't go to the airport.

Archived