NYC Board of Health approves Mayor's "Supersize" soda ban

Shortline Bus

soda14n-1-web.jpg

The size of your soda just shrank.

The city Board of Health voted Thursday to ban super-sized sugary drinks at restaurants and concession stands.

Unless blocked by a judge, the ban will go into effect in six months.

Sugary beverages will now be limited to 16 ounces after the board voted 8-0, with one abstention, to approve Mayor Bloomberg’s signature proposal.

The controversial plan, which is meant to curb obesity, came under withering criticism from the beverage industry and some civil liberties groups.

The restriction applies only to establishments that receive letter grades from the Health Department. That means certain outlets, including 7-Eleven and its Big Gulp, are exempt.

There was little doubt that the Board of Health, whose members were appointed by Bloomberg, would stand in the way of the mayor’s plan. One member, Sixto Caro, opted to abstain from voting.

It is the latest in the Bloomberg administration’s wide-ranging plan to make the city healthier. Previous initiatives include a ban on public smoking and the posting of calorie counts in restaurants.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/nyc-board-health-approves-ban-sale-sugary-drinks-16-ounces-article-1.1158408#ixzz26MnUC2Rw

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More stupidity from New York city. How can anyone with a straight face go on stage and speak in support of a limit on consumer choice like this. Theyre even considering the same thing in Cambridge. For a place that's home to the top universities, there are sure a lot of morons in their city government as well there.

We should have a soda party to protest these restrictions on what we can drink!

With skyrocketing obesity rates and healthcare costs CRIPPLING cities and states financially around the country, this is a step in the right direction. Yes, there is no question that civil liberties are being taken away here, but I remember when sodas and other soft drinks were just 16 ounces and everyone seemed to be just fine with that. Now suddenly everyone is crying because they can't have a drink that is twice or three times the size of that? That right there shows that many in our society have no self control and have to be shown how to have proper portion sizes. The end result of their recklessness is that ALL of us are suffering with higher premiums and more taxes having to be thrown into an endless money pit for obese kids for example who now need medical operations at much earlier ages than they should for things that can be avoided, so for those that say that what they eat and do doesn't affect others, they are clearly wrong. The rest of us should not have higher healthcare premiums because of your reckless behavior.

What's pathetic is that these people don't have enough self-control to understand that drinking 64 oz sodas and sugary drinks on a daily basis is not normal and not at all healthy. Just because you can do whatever you want doesn't mean that you should always exercise that right. Too much of anything is not good.

When the reckless actions of a few starts to affect the lives of many that's when the government must step in and do the right thing and the right thing here is to educate people on how to eat properly and show them what normal sized portions are since many honestly don't have a clue because the current obesity situation is OUT OF CONTROL and is getting worse every day. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly in denial.

How can we create jobs when taxpayers are throwing tons of money at higher and higher healthcare costs and furthermore, who is supposed to be taking any jobs when 66% of the American population is now obese??? To put that in perspective that's more than 190 million Americans overweight or obese... Unbelievable. Some people are so big that they can't even move so they are of no use in an office in terms of being productive.

There was an obese guy across from me last night on the BxM18. He was so big that he was having trouble breathing and in fact was so loud that I got up and moved as I could hear him breathing and struggling to get air from the time I sat down. This is the type of folks I'm starting to see more and more of out in the streets and it is disturbing... All because we can eat and drink whatever we want... Really?? I guess all of these obese folks are supposed to be "rebelling" against the "gubment". <_<

16 ounces? That's not bad.

Yep, I actually remember when the whole 20 oz thing started... The big time companies had their 16 oz drinks and then no name soda companies came in and started offering 20 oz drinks at cheaper prices and that's when the bigger companies started to make their drinks bigger to get rid of the smaller companies and then the super sized options and all of that started coming in. At the time, as a kid it seemed great. You could go to Wendy's and get a large fries, large soda, burger, etc. and eat whatever you wanted. The thing was my parents didn't let me eat that stuff daily, but today that is the norm and that's where the problem lies. Folks don't have fast food and large drinks sometimes, but just about every day.

Well I'd argue against this case. Yes I only drink small size sodas at McDonalds in the rare case I go there so don't flame me with the accusations that I have no control over consumption. People are their own president. They control what THEY want to consume and put into THEIR bodies. The people have the right to say what they want because it's their body, so they can do what they want with it. Just another one of Bloomberg's dumb ideas. Sheesh.

So is the city going to reimburse all the restaurants/theaters the costs to dispose of the giant sized cups? Look, I can understand one person buying a 32 or even 64oz soda is obscene, but the government should be teaching people self control, not heavy handed nanny state bs. I get they want to keep people healthy, but the government needs to butt out.

As for refills, there's not that many in the city and I do wonder if the ban will restrict the amount of drinks one person buys. ie: rather than 1 32oz cup, he/she buys 2 16oz cups.

God next thing you know Bloomberg is going to make a law that you have to put down the toilet seat after you use it. Where is this city going? It isn't Bloomberg's god damn problem what we want to drink. If you want to teach how to control consumption, hold a mother f-ing seminar about the damn topic! Not that anybody would want to attend. excuse my anger and frustration made clear within this post.

Well I'd argue against this case. Yes I only drink small size sodas at McDonalds in the rare case I go there so don't flame me with the accusations that I have no control over consumption. People are their own president. They control what THEY want to consume and put into THEIR bodies. The people have the right to say what they want because it's their body, so they can do what they want with it. Just another one of Bloomberg's dumb ideas. Sheesh.

But look where that's gotten us.

My Two Bits: There are other places that need this more than the city. Most people I've seen in the city aren't even overweight.

This isn't really a big deal. The only people complaining are fat-asses and hard right folks who don't want their "freedom to be taken away." Be reminded folks you have the right to buy this shit but the state also has the right to negotiate with the company and and ask it to stop selling these types of drinks in this city.

More nanny state bullshit. If I want to supersize, that's my problem, not Bloomberg's.

I wonder if this means places won't be able to allow free refills either.

He's so concerned about soda.... Yet, why not do something about ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES?! A lot worst than Soda....... Or about the same, each has its ups and downs.

He's so concerned about soda.... Yet, why not do something about ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES?! A lot worst than Soda....... Or about the same, each has its ups and downs.

Bigger business, and what I assume are more lobbiest in congress. That my friend does play a big part in a politicans decision making process.

This isn't really a big deal. The only people complaining are fat-asses and hard right folks who don't want their "freedom to be taken away." Be reminded folks you have the right to buy this shit but the state also has the right to negotiate with the company and and ask it to stop selling these types of drinks in this city.

The whole point of the protest is that where does it end? "The path to hell is paved with good intentions." That's also how the path to dictatorships comes to pass with government getting more and more power over what people can or can't have. It's always the extremes rather than negotiating to settle on a middle ground...

Blame the idiot uneducated masses that gulps down the insane 64 oz drinks. The government should be more focused on other issues over stupid trivial shit like this.

The whole point of the protest is that where does it end? Sure it starts out with good intentions, but that's also how the path to dictatorships comes to pass with government getting more and more power over what people can or can't have. It's always the extremes rather than negotiating to settle on a middle ground...

Be reminded business interests are very important in this country, so if Boomberg wants the company in question to stop selling drinks he will have to negotiate. This isn't the worst thing he has done, he's actually done much worse, and as such it shouldn't be focused on. This isn't anything like the authoritarian type government that you are describing; he is just negotiating with a company, that's it.

Archived