NYC Board of Health approves Mayor's "Supersize" soda ban

Shortline Bus

Even with alcohol, it's not the government's business what I eat or drink.

True, but these people are the one spending money promoting to cut down on this. I guess they wanna now force people rather than continuing to educate. If no one wants to listen, then keep it moving. No need to force. There are people who will listen, and others who will become bigger then an SUV.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, but these people are the one spending money promoting to cut down on this. I guess they wanna now force people rather than continuing to educate. If no one wants to listen, then keep it moving. No need to force. There are people who will listen, and others who will become bigger then an SUV.

Yes they are forcing people for the simple fact that it is costing cities and states tons of MONEY to provide medical care to these obese SUVs, monies that could be used for other things like infrastructure and so forth. That's the real issue here. There is no money to keep this up and with the obesity rate skyrocketing, medical costs continue to skyrocket out of control, so the government is saying let's take the initiative to stem the problem at the roots where possible. If you make it more of an inconvenience for people to get large portions, they may very well accept the portion size that they receive because by nature humans don't want to exert any more energy than they have to.

What's easier?? Getting a 32 oz drink or getting a 16 oz drink and having to refill it? In short, this is more about $$ than the government wanting to tell you what to eat or drink. There was a study out that showed that whatever portion size people were given (be it large or small) they ate or drank all of it...

Many governments got tough on smoking because of the healthcare costs associated with it and you notice that many places in Europe (where they LOVE to smoke) have started to follow suit because they're realizing that it is very costly to upkeep these sorts of lifestyles.

On the smoking issue, 2nd hand smoke is deadly to everyone that inhales it. Excessive drinking of sugary drinks is harmful to the person drinking it. If it was more about the healthcare costs, then it should be raised on those with poor eating habits and of course a tighter regulation on how many fast food chains can be located in one area. But that said, people need to be educated about the dangers of poor eating habits than a government enforced limitation on portion size. Sure people are now going to maybe get a little healthier, but what's to stop someone from just ordering 2 16oz drinks as opposed to 1 32oz drink? And what about free refills?

On the smoking issue, 2nd hand smoke is deadly to everyone that inhales it. Excessive drinking of sugary drinks is harmful to the person drinking it. If it was more about the healthcare costs, then it should be raised on those with poor eating habits and of course a tighter regulation on how many fast food chains can be located in one area. But that said, people need to be educated about the dangers of poor eating habits than a government enforced limitation on portion size. Sure people are now going to maybe get a little healthier, but what's to stop someone from just ordering 2 16oz drinks as opposed to 1 32oz drink? And what about free refills?

The thing is the majority of folks these days (regardless of economic class) drink soda in excess, so when you've got 2/3rds of the population overweight/obese (over 190 million Americans), it is pointless to just "target" some people when the problem is much more widespread.

I also raised the point earlier that sure someone can refill or get two 16 oz sodas, but it would cost more to get two of them and people generally are lazy and cheap, so they would prefer to get a 32 oz and not have to refill a 16 oz drink or buy two of them. There have also been studies out that show that people consume what they are given regardless of the size portion, so the bigger the size portion given, the more people consume.

I agree 110% with VG8...many of you guys don't understand because many of you guys (not all) have yet to establish a career and feel Uncle Sam's wrath. Like my mother recently told me..."healthcare now a days is all about prevention...than actually fixing your problem...your crazy if you think your up on top of the list to get a transplant of any sort..."

It's sad. This shouldn't even be an issue. We have bigger issues in this town like why are chlldren getting shot in the streets and old women getting raped than whether someone decides to drink a 32 oz cup of soda. I'm don't have any issue with the city educating people about food and health but when you force people to drink certain sizes, that to me is wrong. That's dictator type of stuff and I'm not down with that at all. I don't drink large size sodas but others do and they shouldn't have to buy 2 more cups if they didn't have to beforehand. Just more Nanny State crap from that a**hole known as Bloomburg......again.

I agree 110% with VG8...many of you guys don't understand because many of you guys (not all) have yet to establish a career and feel Uncle Sam's wrath. Like my mother recently told me..."healthcare now a days is all about prevention...than actually fixing your problem...your crazy if you think your up on top of the list to get a transplant of any sort..."

Yep and what you don't pay in taxes you'll pay in higher and higher premium costs. Every year when it comes time to renew our healthcare plan, we cringe at how much it goes up. I believe last year we had almost the exact healthcare plan that my old company had years ago and it is now double what I paid previously and what's even worse is that my current employer picks up a decent amount of the costs, otherwise it would be even worse.

If nothing is done about the obesity problem, you're going to see healthcare costs continue to rise and and more people won't be able to afford it at some point and then you'll have more people not covered and higher costs to taxpayers with people using the emergency room to get treated for simple illnesses.

My question is how else do you deal with the current obesity problem because clearly folks have no sense of portion sizes anymore. They just want to continue to drink and eat as much as they want but the problem is who pays for their high healthcare costs? Everything has a cost which no one either no cares about or realizes.

One thing is clear... The city can't afford it anymore...

It's sad. This shouldn't even be an issue. We have bigger issues in this town like why are chlldren getting shot in the streets and old women getting raped than whether someone decides to drink a 32 oz cup of soda. I'm don't have any issue with the city educating people about food and health but when you force people to drink certain sizes, that to me is wrong. That's dictator type of stuff and I'm not down with that at all. I don't drink large size sodas but others do and they shouldn't have to buy 2 more cups if they didn't have to beforehand. Just more Nanny State crap from that a**hole known as Bloomburg......again.

A comment I read off of Gothamist sums up my sentiment almost perfectly:

Dear Mayor Bloomberg,

Now that you have cleared this monumental problem off your desk, what, if anything, do you propose to do about the minor, little detail of all the stabbings, shootings and rapes that have occurred in our fine city of late?

Peanut Butter

This also sets a bad precedence. Where does it stop? In the name of improving public health and this "war on obesity", King Bloomberg can propose just about anything from portion size limits to what types and kinds of foods one can eat, as long as he gets the okay from the Board of Health. Now I'm not saying that people should drink that much soda (or any beverage for that matter) in one sitting. At best, you'll probably be running to the damn bathroom all day long. At worst, well, you know all the dangers of unhealthy eating habits so I don't feel the need to reiterate them (and if you don't, Google). However, it should be up to the individual to make decisions concerning their own bodies, especially if it's not affecting anyone else's health.

Oh, and one more thing, I don't know it was mentioned before (or really care to look it up to see if it was), but Starbucks' lattes and "mocha-frappa-lacca-ccinos are exempt from the ban. Just putting it out there. Take it as you will.

Peanut Butter

This also sets a bad precedence. Where does it stop? In the name of improving public health and this "war on obesity", King Bloomberg can propose just about anything from portion size limits to what types and kinds of foods one can eat, as long as he gets the okay from the Board of Health. Now I'm not saying that people should drink that much soda (or any beverage for that matter) in one sitting. At best, you'll probably be running to the damn bathroom all day long. At worst, well, you know all the dangers of unhealthy eating habits so I don't feel the need to reiterate them (and if you don't, Google). However, it should be up to the individual to make decisions concerning their own bodies, especially if it's not affecting anyone else's health.

Oh, and one more thing, I don't know it was mentioned before (or really care to look it up to see if it was), but Starbucks' lattes and "mocha-frappa-lacca-ccinos are exempt from the ban. Just putting it out there. Take it as you will.

Peanut Butter

I would agree with that if the part in bold wasn't the case. This is the big problem... Quite frankly if someone wants to drink soda until they pass out then I say let them, but let them pay more for their premiums. Why should everyone have to pay higher premiums for those that don't care about their health? Furthermore, why should the city and state be forced to pay astronomical healthcare costs for these individuals? I think that's the real problem here.

Also, my other question is with over 190 million Americans overweight when should the government step in and do something about the problem? Quite frankly I think they've started too late. At this rate, having this many people overweight hurts our economy because obviously obese folks generally are less productive.

I think it stops when healthcare costs stop skyrocketing. Here's the funny thing though... The people crying about this bill would complain that obese people shouldn't be singled out because they're fat and have to pay higher premiums so what else should be done?? The money has to come from somewhere...

Here's one guy's take on the situation:

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_20754953/obesity-and-health-care-prevention-and-support-not

Soda is just one part of the problem. I drink a lot of it, I don't mind admitnting it. BUT I'm NOT the size of a blue whale. I'm not exactly thin, but I don't have any real health problems.

My dad was heavy and he could endraunce run. He once chased a perp for blocks when he was on patrol, caught him, and brought him in. He goes before the judge and and the judge could hardly bealive a man of my father's size could run like that. Well, he could.

a persons size is not turtly a benchmark of thier health. People have become so obsesed with being thin that i'm willing to bet that my grnadchildren's genoration will be figiting an Anorexia Nerviosa "epidemic".

I walk about a mile and a half almost every day to carry my ebay sales to the post office.

I should be able to enjoy something if and when I want it, not when some balding Bostonia says I can have it.

I say the compaines should just ignore the mayor, have a chat with Gumby & Co and have Albany overrule bloomy.

without regualr, and large, caffine intake, I would have never gotten through John Jay.

Soda is just one part of the problem. I drink a lot of it, I don't mind admitnting it. BUT I'm NOT the size of a blue whale. I'm not exactly thin, but I don't have any real health problems.

I walk about a mile and a half almost every day to carry my ebay sales to the post office.

I should be able to enjoy something if and when I want it, not when some balding Bostonia says I can have it.

I say the compaines should just ignore the mayor, have a chat with Gumby & Co and have Albany overrule bloomy.

without regualr, and large, caffine intake, I would have never gotten through John Jay.

LOL... So you don't have health problems.... Yet...

On the smoking issue, 2nd hand smoke is deadly to everyone that inhales it. Excessive drinking of sugary drinks is harmful to the person drinking it. If it was more about the healthcare costs, then it should be raised on those with poor eating habits and of course a tighter regulation on how many fast food chains can be located in one area.

The question is how can you really monitor people's eating habits? I mean, you can get an idea, but the only thing you can really do is charge the premiums based on what their health is like when they sign up for their healthcare plan. (Weight, BMI, etc)

And the healthcare system LOL , Which this ban won't do much to curb obesity.

That I will agree on but I think it's a great experiment. It may seem new but it really isn't. If you look at how they're changing foods and drinks offered in schools for example it is somewhat similar. Many schools no longer offer soda and the processed hamburgers and fries and other junk food and serve organic vegetables, etc. At first the kids are skeptical about the food but they let the kids be involved in making their own food and showing them where it comes from and after a while they don't want any soda or any of the other nonsense.

Soda is a good start in particular because it is one of the worst drinks out there. I doubt anyone looks at how much sugar and corn syrup is in those drinks and caffeine, etc. It doesn't quinch one's thirst either. It just makes you thirstier, thus making you drink more of the stuff and dehydrate yourself even more. This new generation is not being taught about portion control and moderation and that's the problem. The argument made is that if I want to drink soda all day well then I can. Well of course I can but the question is do I understand the repercussions of my actions? Some people don't and the end result is that others' actions affects everyone else financially through more expensive healthcare and higher taxes.

People cried when the proposed soda tax was made and now they're crying about this. So which is it?? The people drinking the soda don't think they should pay more to buy it even though others are paying more because of their poor choices and they don't want limits on soda. In sum the argument being made here is I can have whatever I want and I don't care if my actions affect others. Some would call that pretty selfish. The best solution IMO is that those who want to drink soda and eat unhealthy should pay higher premiums and pay more in taxes for those items.

What we need to do is tell Soda company's and food company's to change there product more natural ingredients, Artificial preservatives and meats that are from different animal parts that a human being cannot eat are ones that are ones causing the high rise in obesity. HFCS Should have been banned years ago's, the reason why we use HFCS it is because the Government subsidies the corn. now if you look at a picture of people walking in NYC Pre-1984 you will notice less obese people waking that because food company's didn't add so many calories or Artificial preservatives as they do now. Now will it cost more? yes but if think about it won't hurt your body but at the same you will drunk less soda because of the cost. LOL

We can't banned the problem if you can't banned the source of it.

May I see your MD that allows you to make that decision.

I hardly ever get sick and when I do 99% of the time it's a cold.

I once got hit by a car. the car took a massive beating and I walked away without so much as a cut.

Everyone will get sick some were down the line,you can be the healthiest person and the world and still get sick.

May I see your MD that allows you to make that decision.

I hardly ever get sick and when I do 99% of the time it's a cold.

I once got hit by a car. the car took a massive beating and I walked away without so much as a cut.

Oh please... You don't have to be fat or look sick to be sick... You have people that look fine and don't even know they have diabetes or other illnesses from their poor eating/drinking habits.

I know from experience and commonsense. You're one of those folks that think that you could smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and be just fine...

No, the diffrence is I know when I've had too much. I know when to stop. I don't need to be told by some paper pusher.

I'm an adult. I should be able to make my own decisions. I don't smoke. I hardly ever drink. Do weight a little more than a should? maybe, but we can't simply stand there and blame just soda.

the mayor is only pulling crap like this since he's only got a year left and doesn't need to keep people happy.

Is it unhealty? maybe. But so is sitting outside too long in the sun. What's the mayor going to do next, close the beaches on non cloudy days, just so no one gets skin cancer? which, I'll think you'll find is a much more expensive burden on healthcare systems.

heck even too much Oxygen, the thing we need the most to live, is toxic to our systems.

No, the diffrence is I know when I've had too much. I know when to stop. I don't need to be told by some paper pusher.

I'm an adult. I should be able to make my own decisions. I don't smoke. I hardly ever drink. Do weight a little more than a should? maybe, but we can't simply stand there and blame just soda.

the mayor is only pulling crap like this since he's only got a year left and doesn't need to keep people happy.

Is it unhealty? maybe. But so is sitting outside too long in the sun. What's the mayor going to do next, close the beaches on non cloudy days, just so no one gets skin cancer? which, I'll think you'll find is a much more expensive burden on healthcare systems.

heck even too much Oxygen, the thing we need the most to live, is toxic to our systems.

Sorry but obesity these days is a bigger burden... 190 million Americans (2/3rds of the population overweight), not to mention how many kids are overweight now compared to the past... Serious problem. You've got kids needing operations for things that they should need operations for when they're elderly. Very expensive....

overweight and obese are not the same thing... anyone who is above thier optimal wieght for thier size is by definition overweight, even if it's only a few poounds worth.

and those operations may be expensive, but cancer treatments are 10 times worse and even then they might still not work. to fix my mother's mantel cell lymphoma cost the NYPD SBA roughly $800,000.

I would also like to bring this to the discusion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_paradox

The Obesity Paradox;

"Although the negative health consequences of obesity in the general population are well supported by the available evidence, health outcomes in certain subgroups seem to be improved at an increased BMI, a phenomenon known as the obesity survival paradox"

So, for some people, being obese is a GOOD THING. see, flatly write something off and you can miss an important detail.

And i found that because I actually bother to RESARCH before I post.

overweight and obese are not the same thing... anyone who is above thier optimal wieght for thier size is by definition overweight, even if it's only a few poounds worth.

and those operations may be expensive, but cancer treatments are 10 times worse and even then they might still not work. to fix my mother's mantel cell lymphoma cost the NYPD SBA roughly $800,000.

I would also like to bring this to the discusion

http://en.wikipedia....Obesity_paradox

The Obesity Paradox;

"Although the negative health consequences of obesity in the general population are well supported by the available evidence, health outcomes in certain subgroups seem to be improved at an increased BMI, a phenomenon known as the obesity survival paradox"

So, for some people, being obese is a GOOD THING. see, flatly write something off and you can miss an important detail.

And i found that because I actually bother to RESARCH before I post.

LOL... You researched on a site which I can go on and edit myself... I wouldn't call that research Mr. John Jay. :lol:

Archived