NYC Board of Health approves Mayor's "Supersize" soda ban

Shortline Bus

I'm sure you guys have seen all the ads by now, but I'll leave this here as a point of reference.

Now am I the only one who finds the statistics greatly exaggerated? Who the hell has the time or money to drink that much shit in a day? A week more likely. Also, I'm very interested in knowing how they were able to caculate the amount of sugar in the drinks and round it off to base it off of the amount of a sugar packet.

Still though, at this point I'm not exactly sure why this is even an issue. oF course though Bloomberg's law won't be ratified because this in the U.S. A. Where freedom reigns supreme.

GOD BLESS....

__murica_by_gameover89-d5jsub4.png

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now am I the only one who finds the statistics greatly exaggerated? Who the hell has the time or money to drink that much shit in a day? A week more likely. Also, I'm very interested in knowing how they were able to caculate the amount of sugar in the drinks and round it off to base it off of the amount of a sugar packet.

Werd. I don't even drink soda, and can't drink THAT much coffee or alcohol in a day. (Learned my lesson from some gathering last week, ahem...  <_< )

uh yeah, i pay for health, fire, life and auto insurance, and i know that things are in them which i will never use, does that make it right in your world? i have no problem paying for anything that i need and use, but im against paying for other people`s transgressions that are mandated by governments that are destroying middle class americans like me with their constant crack like addiction of stealing money from us for bullcrap

joe

My point is simply that the economy is too complex for us to exclusively pay for only those things we actually need. I understand your sentiment completely, I'm just saying it is unrealistic to be able to do that .

I'm sure you guys have seen all the ads by now, but I'll leave this here as a point of reference.

Still though, at this point I'm not exactly sure why this is even an issue. oF course though Bloomberg's law won't be ratified because this in the U.S. A. Where freedom reigns supreme.

GOD BLESS....

__murica_by_gameover89-d5jsub4.png

They aren't exaggerated at all... All you have to do is look at the ingredients... The problem is that people don't know what the ingredients are... There are so many different types of sugars that are added to those sodas... Fructose, maldextrose, sucrose, high-fructose corn syrup, etc. etc.   They're all SUGARS and/or sweetners and bad ones at that.  The only decent sugars are ones made naturally in fruit for example.  This is why soda is targeted because not only does it have a TON OF SUGAR but also A TON OF SODIUM (salt).  It isn't hard to calculate how much sugar is in soda because these sodas are made by machines, so exact calculations of the ingredients are made not only to ensure that the taste is consistent, but also to ensure that the company doesn't waste a cent more in ingredients than it has to. It's all about profits with these soda companies, which is one reason why they're against this. The more of these ingredients they can buy in bulk (large quantities), the cheaper they get the ingredients which then increases their bottom lines because their goal is to sell as much soda as possible and get you fixed on it so you keep buying it, similar to an addicted drug addict.  A lot of sodas have caffeine in them so if you drink enough of it you may indeed start to crave it.  

Then you have the habitual drinkers that drink soda with everything... I can't tell you how many folks I saw in college that drank soda for breakfast...  <_< If this is what you're used to doing and you're not raised any better then you can surely drink that much soda... Why? Because it's cheaper than healthier things... Why? Because it's sold in large bulk, mainly made with tons of cheap preservatives which allows the manufacturers to lower the price to maximize profit.

It's the same thing that the fast food companies do like McDonald's for example... Buy in bulk which allows them to maximize products... Even if a company is selling french fries at $1.00, if they buy enough in bulk and use cheap ingredients they may pay CENTS on the dollar for each order of fries that they sell.  Not a bad deal at all...

As for Bloomberg, this is far from over... This will go back and forth on appeals in the courts and may go on for some time.

Now if you were to take a bottle of soda and look up all of the ingredients and see just how many sweetners or sugars are in the ingredients then you'd see how soda could have that much sugar... 

They aren't exaggerated at all... All you have to do is look at the ingredients... The problem is that people don't know what the ingredients are... There are so many different types of sugars that are added to those sodas... Fructose, maldextrose, sucrose, high-fructose corn syrup, etc. etc.   They're all SUGARS and/or sweetners and bad ones at that.  The only decent sugars are ones made naturally in fruit for example.  This is why soda is targeted because not only does it have a TON OF SUGAR but also A TON OF SODIUM (salt).  It isn't hard to calculate how much sugar is in soda because these sodas are made by machines, so exact calculations of the ingredients are made not only to ensure that the taste is consistent, but also to ensure that the company doesn't waste a cent more in ingredients than it has to. It's all about profits with these soda companies, which is one reason why they're against this. The more of these ingredients they can buy in bulk (large quantities), the cheaper they get the ingredients which then increases their bottom lines because their goal is to sell as much soda as possible and get you fixed on it so you keep buying it, similar to an addicted drug addict.  A lot of sodas have caffeine in them so if you drink enough of it you may indeed start to crave it.  

Then you have the habitual drinkers that drink soda with everything... I can't tell you how many folks I saw in college that drank soda for breakfast...  <_< If this is what you're used to doing and you're not raised any better then you can surely drink that much soda... Why? Because it's cheaper than healthier things... Why? Because it's sold in large bulk, mainly made with tons of cheap preservatives which allows the manufacturers to lower the price to maximize profit.

It's the same thing that the fast food companies do like McDonald's for example... Buy in bulk which allows them to maximize products... Even if a company is selling french fries at $1.00, if they buy enough in bulk and use cheap ingredients they may pay CENTS on the dollar for each order of fries that they sell.  Not a bad deal at all...

As for Bloomberg, this is far from over... This will go back and forth on appeals in the courts and may go on for some time.

Now if you were to take a bottle of soda and look up all of the ingredients and see just how many sweetners or sugars are in the ingredients then you'd see how soda could have that much sugar... 

Ummm... Senator via Garibardi (D-Riverdale) So what is this post? Your submitted proposal for a pending new federal law on the nationwide prohibition act on caffeine infused carbonated beverages? That means beverages containing caffeine will become a DEA schedule 3 drug like weed or something. That means I CAN'T HAVE MY COFFEE IT'S ILLEGAL. That means I will get really cranky. That means Senator realizm (I-Boogie Down) shall vote against this ridiculous bill or filibuster your bill to death on the US Congress floor. *shakes fist*.

Ummm... Senator via Garibardi (D-Riverdale) So what is this post? Your submitted proposal for a pending new federal law on the nationwide prohibition act on caffeine infused carbonated beverages? That means beverages containing caffeine will become a DEA schedule 3 drug like weed or something. That means I CAN'T HAVE MY COFFEE IT'S ILLEGAL. That means I will get really cranky. That means Senator realizm (I-Boogie Down) shall vote against this ridiculous bill or filibuster your bill to death on the US Congress floor. *shakes fist*.

LOL... I'm just saying that people are a little naive about soda not being that bad because in fact it is... They're also naive if they don't think that people drink this stuff like it's going out of style.

I understand that select individuals would drink a heavy amount of drink, the problem is that I really don't see the majority of the populous doing so.

And on the subject of students drinking soda in the morning, I'll admit to that. On the occasion I don't want to (or can't afford to) shell out money for a half decent (not fast food or convnience store) coffee to get a caffeine boost, I'll sometimes go for a $0.99 16 oz can of Mountain Dew or something at a nearby convnience store. Still though, I'm not binging on that stuff.

Well this is blatantly obvious. How do you think all these fast food places can afford to give out free refills on drinks and offer such low food prices. For the food, part of it is subsidies for crops going directly for use in the fast food business, corn included due to its use for various corn syrups.

With soda, it lies directly with the producers. Coca Cola and to a lesser extent Pepsi provide the syrups for use in the fast food business very cheap. The reason being that even at those prices they make money.

Well after drinking this crap for so long I very much know what in this stuff. Likely if you were to question me on a specific drink I'd likely have an exact carbon copy answer as to what is displayed on the package.

And, while I do understand the ad campains are targeting "simple" people, I believe it would've been in the best intewrest of everyone to just use grams.

Ummm... Senator via Garibardi (I-Riverdale) So what is this post? Your submitted proposal for a pending new federal law on the nationwide prohibition act on caffeine infused carbonated beverages? That means beverages containing caffeine will become a DEA schedule 3 drug like weed or something. That means I CAN'T HAVE MY COFFEE IT'S ILLEGAL. That means I will get really cranky. That means Senator realizm (I-Boogie Down) shall vote against this ridiculous bill or filibuster your bill to death on the US Congress floor. *shakes fist*.

Fixed it, lol.

LOL... I'm just saying that people are a little naive about soda not being that bad because in fact it is... They're also naive if they don't think that people drink this stuff like it's going out of style.

And I must say I appreciate the tern naive.

For the record I never said soda was bad. Please quote the statement where I said something of the such.

But in all seriousness, I'm still in disbelief that someone can drink up to around ten 12 ounce servings of a drink in a day.

I understand that select individuals would drink a heavy amount of drink, the problem is that I really don't see the majority of the populous doing so.

And on the subject of students drinking soda in the morning, I'll admit to that. On the occasion I don't want to (or can't afford to) shell out money for a half decent (not fast food or convnience store) coffee to get a caffeine boost, I'll sometimes go for a $0.99 16 oz can of Mountain Dew or something at a nearby convnience store. Still though, I'm not binging on that stuff.

Well this is blatantly obvious. How do you think all these fast food places can afford to give out free refills on drinks and offer such low food prices. For the food, part of it is subsidies for crops going directly for use in the fast food business, corn included due to its use for various corn syrups.

With soda, it lies directly with the producers. Coca Cola and to a lesser extent Pepsi provide the syrups for use in the fast food business very cheap. The reason being that even at those prices they make money.

Well after drinking this crap for so long I very much know what in this stuff. Likely if you were to question me on a specific drink I'd likely have an exact carbon copy answer as to what is displayed on the package.

And, while I do understand the ad campains are targeting "simple" people, I believe it would've been in the best intewrest of everyone to just use grams.

Fixed it, lol.

And I must say I appreciate the tern naive.

For the record I never said soda was bad. Please quote the statement where I said something of the such.

But in all seriousness, I'm still in disbelief that someone can drink up to around ten 12 ounce servings of a drink in a day.

I don't see how you can be that shocked though... Soda makes you thirsty because it dehydrates you, so naturally you will drink more of it to "quinch that thirst" and since you can buy it in large quantities and but it cheap, people just buy a bunch of it.  You have people that go through 12 packs like nothing, and pop them open one after another without even thinking about it.

As for soda being bad, sorry but soda if not drank in moderation is terrible and I'm saying it is because it's the truth.  The traditional soda with the processed garbage has absolutely no nutritional value for you, is loaded with caffeine, sodium and sugar and helps to increase one's waist line substantially.  Now I had a soda last night, but I do not drink any artificial soda and when I have one it's a small 12 oz soda in the glass from Gus, since they actually use natural ingredients and sparkling water for their soda which makes it much tastier and I don't feel so guilty after having one as a treat.

I don't see how you can be that shocked though... Soda makes you thirsty because it dehydrates you, so naturally you will drink more of it to "quinch that thirst" and since you can buy it in large quantities and but it cheap, people just buy a bunch of it.  You have people that go through 12 packs like nothing, and pop them open one after another without even thinking about it.

As for soda being bad, sorry but soda if not drank in moderation is terrible and I'm saying it is because it's the truth.  The traditional soda with the processed garbage has absolutely no nutritional value for you, is loaded with caffeine, sodium and sugar and helps to increase one's waist line substantially.  Now I had a soda last night, but I do not drink any artificial soda and when I have one it's a small 12 oz soda in the glass from Gus, since they actually use natural ingredients and sparkling water for their soda which makes it much tastier and I don't feel so guilty after having one as a treat.

HYPOCRITE!  :lol: 

Archived