125th St Bus Corridor Improvement Workshop

Mysterious2train

This BRT open house is about 3-4 blocks away from my house. I'm hoping that 125th St might be widened into an 8-lane street to accommodate double-red bus lanes on each side of the street, and separate traffic lights with set-up timers for each kind. One traffic light would be for pedestrians (1:15), the second for other vehicles (2:30), third for the bike lanes (3:45), finally the last traffic light would be suited for the buses (5:00). Sure the 4th traffic light is a bit longer, but I don't care about that. I care about how this idea of mine can help improve other New York City streets and highways around the 5 boroughs.

But this seems interesting. Simlar to the SBS41..

I don't think this is what you're getting at, but it is similar in how the MTA wants to put SBS on only one route in the corridor [M60 and Bx41, respectively] and is skipping over other potential SBS routes nearby [M101 and Bx15 on 125th St, and the Bx15/Bx55 in the Bronx]

Btw dont think its focused just on BRT. Likely the whole corridor and its routes..

Naturally this workshop will not focused just on SBS. That would be pretty silly considering only one of the four routes is actually tapped for SBS. I'm just saying the MTA would want to announce their plans for the M60.

Also, whenever anyone seems to mention improving 125th St, the M60 always seems to be first up. Even the MTA does itm the way they cut a bunch of stops last month, and want to give it SBS. Don't get me wrong, I agree that the M60 is slow and crowded and what have you, but I think the M101 is just as bad if not worse.

Why did the only the M60 have some cut stops? Why not the M101 too? Granted, there'd be issues with cutting stops on the M101 even with the M100 and M103 around, and I guess the MTA knows this, but I'm trying to make a point. I know the M100 and Bx15 have issues too just by virtue of running on 125th, but I don't really think there's too much you can do to improve them individually, compared to the M101 anyway. The M101 is also the busiest route of the four, if that matters any.

And yes, I do think a bus lane is necessary, even with the potential for lane-related chaos. 42nd St even has one, and it's somewhat similar to 125th (often stuffed with traffic, leads to outerborough crossings)

Better stop my post now, before I start ranting about ideas for SBS on the M101 and Bx15, and my post loses any tact it still has left.

I don't think this is what you're getting at, but it is similar in how the MTA wants to put SBS on only one route in the corridor [M60 and Bx41, respectively] and is skipping over other potential SBS routes nearby [M101 and Bx15 on 125th St, and the Bx15/Bx55 in the Bronx]

[/background]

Naturally this workshop will not focused just on SBS. That would be pretty silly considering only one of the four routes is actually tapped for SBS. I'm just saying the MTA would want to announce their plans for the M60.

Also, whenever anyone seems to mention improving 125th St, the M60 always seems to be first up. Even the MTA does itm the way they cut a bunch of stops last month, and want to give it SBS. Don't get me wrong, I agree that the M60 is slow and crowded and what have you, but I think the M101 is just as bad if not worse.

Why did the only the M60 have some cut stops? Why not the M101 too? Granted, there'd be issues with cutting stops on the M101 even with the M100 and M103 around, and I guess the MTA knows this, but I'm trying to make a point. I know the M100 and Bx15 have issues too just by virtue of running on 125th, but I don't really think there's too much you can do to improve them individually, compared to the M101 anyway. The M101 is also the busiest route of the four, if that matters any.

And yes, I do think a bus lane is necessary, even with the potential for lane-related chaos. 42nd St even has one, and it's somewhat similar to 125th (often stuffed with traffic, leads to outerborough crossings)

Better stop my post now, before I start ranting about ideas for SBS on the M101 and Bx15, and my post loses any tact it still has left.

I love the fine print all the way at the bottom. lol

[/background]

In ways I can say that 42nd Street isn't as worst as 125th Street. The only portion that is hell is East of 6th Ave to about 10th Avenue. The rest isn't that bad.

For the M101, the (MTA) should consider extending the Limited Service to about 163rd Street. People can use the M100 as an alternative. I understand there are people who use the M101 a lot along Amsterdam and 125th, but yet its still long and slow during most of the trip route. M100 follows almost 75% of the M101 corridor in Uptown Manhattan.

For the M60, its possible they may announce the M60SBS, but most of the focus will surrounding all the routes that uses it 125.

Yes, I agree M101 LTD expanded.. Like M4 LTD, M2 LTD, they make all crosstown stops on 110th St.

M101 LTD:

New LTD Stop:

Amsterdam Av/155th St:

Amsterdam Av/145th St

Amsterdam Av/137th St

All stops on 125th St

M3 could also be alternative to M101 as well.

M98 LTD Routing should be change, via Park Av, 125th St to Lexington Av, so M98 LTD could be alternative to M101 LTD.

For the M101, the (MTA) should consider extending the Limited Service to about 163rd Street. People can use the M100 as an alternative. I understand there are people who use the M101 a lot along Amsterdam and 125th, but yet its still long and slow during most of the trip route. M100 follows almost 75% of the M101 corridor in Uptown Manhattan.

Extending Limited service to 161st St could work, but during Rush Hour there should be a little more M100 service. Buses already get pretty crowded at times (more so in the peak direction, but sometimes reverse-peak too), and if the local stops are left to the M100 that'll be a lot of stress on it. These M100 short-turns could end at 168th St or something.

For the M60, its possible they may announce the M60SBS, but most of the focus will surrounding all the routes that uses it 125.

Of course the focus will be on all the routes as a whole but I see no reason why they wouldn't want to announce it, especially since it's in their interests to spread the word since they have to go through design ideas and all that before it gets up and running next year. (Of course, I don't think anyone actually believes that the (MTA) will start up three SBS routes so close together - the B44 next September, the M60 next October and the Bx41 in November, but that's irrelevant)

Now just seems as good a time as any to announce it. The M60 always seems to get the most focus out of the four anyway.

I wonder if the M35 will be involved.

Maybe, but how would it be changed? Right now it exists just to ferry people to the Island and since it has a reputation for carrying "crazy" people I doubt people want to extend it or anything. You could move it off the side streets but I don't think that would change, or rather improve much.

Yes, I agree M101 LTD expanded.. Like M4 LTD, M2 LTD, they make all crosstown stops on 110th St.

M101 LTD:

New LTD Stop:

Amsterdam Av/155th St:

Amsterdam Av/145th St

Amsterdam Av/137th St

All stops on 125th St

M98 LTD Routing should be change, via Park Av, 125th St to Lexington Av, so M98 LTD could be alternative to M101 LTD.

It shouldn't go on 125th at all, even if it's just for that short block. When traffic is at its worst, east of Madison Ave pretty much freezes (although West of it isn't that much better) To get from Park to Lexington, there's also 131st, 130th, or 128th Sts.

I would imagine the 98 goes on Park Av the way it does because it's supposedly less crowded/faster than Lex. Which isn't really true, Park only has one lane going down and if a truck in front of you is trying to maneuver around you're pretty much stuck. The bus stop at Park and 125th is pretty puzzling, it gets a lot of usage, in that a ton of people are always getting off at 125th, but other than I suppose between 7:30 and 8:30 AM where it's pretty frequent, I can't really see bus riders bus riders actually getting on the 98 there [as opposed to going to the 101 and/or 103] unless the bus was right there or something. Especially since it usefully doesn't serve Midtown anymore. But getting off-topic.

M101 LTD:

New LTD Stop:

Amsterdam Av/155th St:

Amsterdam Av/145th St

Amsterdam Av/137th St

All stops on 125th St

No. The M98 should just stick where it is. Thats why it doesn't run on 125 to Lex, because of the traffic it would go to. Right now its bad enough south of 130th St the M98 gets stuck with Southbound Traffic. The only alternative I would give it, is if it exited to 5th Avenue (Exit 22 HRD / 143rd) and take it down to 124th St and then accross to Lexington. 5th Avenue isn't that bad.

For the new LTD stops. Seems good! All stops to 155th would be better and then LTD to 125/AMS, skip Morningside Ave (or keep it) and Local to 125 lex/3rd ave and LTD resumes, up/down.

I wonder if the M35 will be involved.

I seriously doubt the M35 needs to be focused here. The only tie up it gets is on Lex from 125 to 124, only because turning and straight traffic. I'd rather keep the M35 out of here. It doesn't get in the 125th whole mess. And no need to exend it ether as you've mentioned before. Only purpose is to get people in and out of Wards/Randalls.

I would imagine the 98 goes on Park Av the way it does because it's supposedly less crowded/faster than Lex. Which isn't really true, Park only has one lane going down and if a truck in front of you is trying to maneuver around you're pretty much stuck. The bus stop at Park and 125th is pretty puzzling, it gets a lot of usage, in that a ton of people are always getting off at 125th, but other than I suppose between 7:30 and 8:30 AM where it's pretty frequent, I can't really see bus riders bus riders actually getting on the 98 there [as opposed to going to the 101 and/or 103] unless the bus was right there or something. Especially since it usefully doesn't serve Midtown anymore. But getting off-topic.

*East of St. Nicholas Avenue the traffic begins. Once you hit Park Avenue thats where the tie up begins

What will happened if M100 2nd Av-bound went like this:

Via 125th St, Park Av, Harlem River Drive/FDR Drive South to 2nd Av/125th St.

Elimated stop on eastbound: 125th St/Lexington, 3rd Avs and 128th St/3rd Av.

New Stop: Park Av/125th St

2nd Av/127th St

Why send the M100 thru trouble via an Expressway just to get to 2nd Avenue? Besides, FDR/HRD gets into traffic issues as well. I'd keep it how it is.

Can Artic handle turn from eastbound 125th St to southbound Park Av.

If it could, M98 and M101 could resume Lex Av at 116th St.

I remember during 1st day of M98 change, female B/O who never done M98 used 116th St instead of 120th St.

It should be able to. But i'd only reroute the M101 if traffic is way worst then it is.

There was lots of people at 125th St Bus OpenHouse Workshop. I was with Table 8 group.

Just like anyone here stated in "Fixing M60 Thread" that M60 relocation at 125th St/Amsterdam Av has serious problem with seniors b/c they're not unaware of changes and there was no notice indicating bus has been moved to M11 side.

There was also topic with current M35/X80 stop forcing problem for private bus company which only could pickup two wheelchairs. I think it was DHNA (correct me) want to relocate M35/X80 stop.

I discusss eastbound 125th St/Frederick Douglass Blvd bus stop is shared by 6 bus routes, which are Bx15, M60, M100, M101, CitySightNY, Grayline. 8 buses at same stop if we add Big Taxi Tour and brand new green New York Tour Bus."

Taxis, car services and delivery trucks don't care for bus lane or bus stops.

Ted, one of DOT Ambasaddor said to me, "Lots of people complaint want faster service on M60."

They also had topic about SBS Machine to speed up 125th St Bus Service.

Where could M35/X80 bus stop should move to?

Anyone who want to sent comment to MTA and NYCDOT, email with subject title "125th St Bus Public Workshop" to

125streetbusservice@dot.nyc.gov

Name, Organization (if applicable), Address, City/State/Zip, Phone/Email # needed.

You could also sent via mail at:

Bus Service on 125th Street

c/o Howard/Stein-Hudson Associates, Inc.

11 Hanover Square, 3rd FL

New York, NY 1005.

Deadline by Sept 28, 2012.

Archived