Manhattan Rents Hit All-Time High, But Vacancy Is Rising!

mark1447

Yeah my boss lives on the Upper East Side and while I like the Upper East Side and all I just couldn't live there. It isn't private enough for me and I prefer being in a more isolated area where it is mainly just folks from the neighborhood walking around. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Manhattan for the great restaurants, watching games at MSG, MoMA, SAKS and Bloomingdales, but there is nothing like relaxing in my neighborhood to the quietness of woodpeckers and such outside of my balcony. Some folks can't live without being in Manhattan and others want nothing but to live outside of Manhattan. :lol:

Mind you that I prefer urban areas, but I would settle for a residence in the outer boroughs given that it had some connection to Manhattan.

Speaking of filth, NYC is now considered to be the filthiest city in the US... :lol:

http://gothamist.com...says_magazi.php

Not suprised at all.

It depends on where you work and where you want to go. Theres commuter rail to get to the city and back, plenty of companies are headquartered out here in the suburbs. Im not sure what you mean by flexibility.

Plenty more jobs are situated within the city limits, but my job wouldn't (and shouldn't) be the main reason I choose to live in a specific place; there are plenty of things outside the cubicle that are much easier to access by subway or bus. MetroNorth will only get you to so many places before you have to drop over to a cab, bus, or subway. Wherever I go in all 5 boroughs, I only need to walk to the nearest subway station or bus stop. I don't need to drive a car to a station or hike a mile.

Plenty more jobs are situated within the city limits, but my job wouldn't (and shouldn't) be the main reason I choose to live in a specific place; there are plenty of things outside the cubicle that are much easier to access by subway or bus. MetroNorth will only get you to so many places before you have to drop over to a cab, bus, or subway. Wherever I go in all 5 boroughs, I only need to walk to the nearest subway station or bus stop. I don't need to drive a car to a station or hike a mile.

there's still quite a few jobs out in the suburbs in places like Melville, White Plains, Islandia, etc. Given the choice of going to work in Manhattan or going to work in the suburbs id rather go towards the suburbs since the traffic isn't as bad going that direction and plus to me its more convenient to drive in the reverse peak direction than to use the subway or lirr during rush hour and be crammed in with all the other commuters

there's still quite a few jobs out in the suburbs in places like Melville, White Plains, Islandia, etc. Given the choice of going to work in Manhattan or going to work in the suburbs id rather go towards the suburbs since the traffic isn't as bad going that direction and plus to me its more convenient to drive in the reverse peak direction than to use the subway or lirr during rush hour and be crammed in with all the other commuters

Or travel around "off peak" hours when there are less annoying people about...

Archived