Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
S79 Select bus servi

New Select Bus Service on Staten Island 2015

Hello there. Here, we will choose which bus corridors on Staten Island should get Select Bus Service first. To start with, you need to come up with at least 8 potential routes for qualification into SBS. I have come up with 2 of my own. These are: S99 (S98, then down south av to WSP) and S93 (the original route). Then, we will begin to vote. We will eventually vote for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. To enter a bus proposal, type it in this format:

<S99:bay.victory.forest.south>

I will then pick the 8 best routes and you will begin casting votes. I will check routes and votes daily at around 4PM.

Rules: routes must travel within SI only unless going to Newark airport or 34 st. The route must not travel past 2 miles into Brooklyn. Routes may not go to Manhattan. Routes may also not exceed 20 miles

When we have our 3 routes, we will pick stops and frequency. :D

Now lets start picking routes!

I can't even think of one route that should really get it, TBH. Expanded limited-stop service, yes, but not full-fledged SBS service.

The ONLY route I can think of is expanding the S89s limited service hours and maybe make it +Select. Especially since the MTA Chairmen has mentioned before he prefers having an SBS route connect with the HBLR, instead of extending the line over the Bayonne.

The ONLY route I can think of is expanding the S89s limited service hours and maybe make it +Select. Especially since the MTA Chairmen has mentioned before he prefers having an SBS route connect with the HBLR, instead of extending the line over the Bayonne.

The S89 doesn't have the ridership necessary for SBS, it doesn't even get that crowded. The 89 is technically the LTD variant of the 59. The 89 could definitely use more LTD service.

Edited by Cait Sith
  • Upvote 3

Trust me, the S89 doesn't have the ridership for SBS. The number of riders getting on at each stop doesn't justify POP (except for maybe the ETC). It doesn't warrant a bus lane (and it already has one near the mall thanks to the S79), It doesn't have a whole lot of traffic lights, so while TSP would be nice (and I think it should be on every route), it's not direly needed.

As I've always said, if the service is expanded, it should be done knowing ridership isn't going to be too high, and it's just being done for connectivity purposes. That's why I think it should just be a little shuttle from Forest Avenue to 34th Street, running every 40 minutes.

• Upvote 1

Trust me, the S89 doesn't have the ridership for SBS. The number of riders getting on at each stop doesn't justify POP (except for maybe the ETC). It doesn't warrant a bus lane (and it already has one near the mall thanks to the S79), It doesn't have a whole lot of traffic lights, so while TSP would be nice (and I think it should be on every route), it's not direly needed.

As I've always said, if the service is expanded, it should be done knowing ridership isn't going to be too high, and it's just being done for connectivity purposes. That's why I think it should just be a little shuttle from Forest Avenue to 34th Street, running every 40 minutes.

A Shuttle route, I would agree, there is some ridership between Bayonne and about SI Mall. Its a killer that this route is another M98 route only running rush hours. Time needs to be expanded.

• Upvote 1

LOL, new users join, and in their first few posts, they think they know how to start things and run things.

• Upvote 1

A Shuttle route, I would agree, there is some ridership between Bayonne and about SI Mall. Its a killer that this route is another M98 route only running rush hours. Time needs to be expanded.

That wasn't really what I was getting at, though. The current route all the way down to Eltingville really doesn't get a whole lot of ridership, and I don't know if expanding service outside of rush hour will really help the ridership. I mean, it might because you could have some people who aren't taking it because it serves them one way but not the other (going to work, but not back, or vice versa), but I don't think so.

You have to consider who this route is intended to serve: People working in Downtown Jersey City & Hoboken, so it's almost like an express bus, and so off-peak ridership might not be that great. (Of course, like I said it should still run for connectivity purposes)

And from what I see, it seems as if more people get on at the ETC compared to the mall stops.

Out of curiosity, is the comparison to the M98 because it runs rush hours only or because it was truncated?

Edited by checkmatechamp13

That wasn't really what I was getting at, though. The current route all the way down to Eltingville really doesn't get a whole lot of ridership, and I don't know if expanding service outside of rush hour will really help the ridership. I mean, it might because you could have some people who aren't taking it because it serves them one way but not the other (going to work, but not back, or vice versa), but I don't think so.

You have to consider who this route is intended to serve: People working in Downtown Jersey City & Hoboken, so it's almost like an express bus, and so off-peak ridership might not be that great.

Wasn't the purpose of even extending the HBLR to SI was to give SIers another alternative (Express bus/Ferry/SIRTOA) to Manhattan, besides those going to Jersey City? Of course right now you have the S89, which people use it for Downtown Jersey City/Hoboken. Not sure if there is any numbers for those using S89/HBLR/PATH combo to Manhattan.

You have to consider who this route is intended to serve: People working in Downtown Jersey City & Hoboken, so it's almost like an express bus, and so off-peak ridership might not be that great. (Of course, like I said it should still run for connectivity purposes)

And from what I see, it seems as if more people get on at the ETC compared to the mall stops.

Out of curiosity, is the comparison to the M98 because it runs rush hours only or because it was truncated?

Adding onto the benefit of connecting to Express Buses also gives some meaning to the S89 as I have seen folks get off of the 89 to connect with the Express Buses.

The S89 should have stop at the Bayonne Walmart and run on 1 hour or so headways during middays (if not weekends), the NIMBYs will always kill their plans to open in the city and plenty of people cross the bridge to shop there already. People these days need to save money, but the PA's ridculous tolls and lack of public transit from SI to NJ are probably stopping a lot of people from doing that. In NYC you can't pay $2.25 to get to a Walmart unless you live in eastern Queens. I think adding that stop to the S89 would draw quite a bit of ridership.

But SBS, definitely not needed here.

MTA minimum headways are 30 minutes, so any off peak S89 service would run every 30 minutes (with few exceptions).

Most of the Bronx can get to Walmart for just 2.25, transfer to any Bee Line route that connects to White Plains: 1W, 20, 21, 40, 41, 60, 62

NO SBS? I guess we will pick off-peak limited routes instead. Lets start thinking about forest av and clove rd. We've got 1 route from your posts.

S89 original route to Bayyone 34 st HBLR ending at Eltingville transit center. Frequency will be: 15 20 15 30

30 30

30 30

Wasn't the purpose of even extending the HBLR to SI was to give SIers another alternative (Express bus/Ferry/SIRTOA) to Manhattan, besides those going to Jersey City? Of course right now you have the S89, which people use it for Downtown Jersey City/Hoboken. Not sure if there is any numbers for those using S89/HBLR/PATH combo to Manhattan.

Well, that was part of the reason for the HBLR extension (to provide an alternative to reach Manhattan), but I don't think there are a whole lot of people doing that with the S89, since it's an additional transfer and the total fare is higher than the express bus fare. Of course, there are probably some doing it (especially on days when you listen to the radio and hear of a big accident on the BQE or something), but it's not the majority of the riders.

The S89 should have stop at the Bayonne Walmart and run on 1 hour or so headways during middays (if not weekends), the NIMBYs will always kill their plans to open in the city and plenty of people cross the bridge to shop there already. People these days need to save money, but the PA's ridculous tolls and lack of public transit from SI to NJ are probably stopping a lot of people from doing that. In NYC you can't pay $2.25 to get to a Walmart unless you live in eastern Queens. I think adding that stop to the S89 would draw quite a bit of ridership.

But SBS, definitely not needed here.

The only problem with that is that you have to divert to serve the mall, which means riders transferring to the HBLR (who have a connection to make) are spending additional time.

Ideally, you would be able to have the buses stop at 8th Street, and then continue on to serve Walmart. That might actually not be a bad idea, but the problem is that it becomes too confusing for the riders (Midday service goes to 8th Street, rush hour service goes to 34th Street). And rush hour service pretty much has to go to 34th Street because there's more frequent HBLR service there.

I don't know what was going through their minds when they designed the 8th Street station. Why the hell is it only 1 track? If you plan to extend it to SI, then you have to deal with that bottleneck, and if you plan to leave it as a terminal, then you just limited the terminal capacity for no reason. (Which is why you still have some trains terminating at 22nd Street).

MTA minimum headways are 30 minutes, so any off peak S89 service would run every 30 minutes (with few exceptions).

Most of the Bronx can get to Walmart for just 2.25, transfer to any Bee Line route that connects to White Plains: 1W, 20, 21, 40, 41, 60, 62

The HBLR runs every 20 minutes, so that's why I came up with the idea of a 40 minute headway. It only requires 1 bus going back and forth (between Forest & 34th Street), and it aligns with the HBLR schedule.

The only problem with that is that you have to divert to serve the mall, which means riders transferring to the HBLR (who have a connection to make) are spending additional time.

Ideally, you would be able to have the buses stop at 8th Street, and then continue on to serve Walmart. That might actually not be a bad idea, but the problem is that it becomes too confusing for the riders (Midday service goes to 8th Street, rush hour service goes to 34th Street). And rush hour service pretty much has to go to 34th Street because there's more frequent HBLR service there.

I don't know what was going through their minds when they designed the 8th Street station. Why the hell is it only 1 track? If you plan to extend it to SI, then you have to deal with that bottleneck, and if you plan to leave it as a terminal, then you just limited the terminal capacity for no reason. (Which is why you still have some trains terminating at 22nd Street).

Maybe have some peak trps skip Walmart, every other bus goes express to/from 34th Street.

Maybe have some peak trps skip Walmart, every other bus goes express to/from 34th Street.

Well, with peak service, it's a no-brainer to have most buses skip Walmart, but I'm talking about off-peak service. Even though it's off-peak, you still have to consider those trying to make the connection to the HBLR.

Well, with peak service, it's a no-brainer to have most buses skip Walmart, but I'm talking about off-peak service. Even though it's off-peak, you still have to consider those trying to make the connection to the HBLR.

Schedule the buses to make the connection. Who cares if it makes a pit stop and takes a bit longer to get to the staton, you're on public transit and you can expect that.

Schedule the buses to make the connection. Who cares if it makes a pit stop and takes a bit longer to get to the staton, you're on public transit and you can expect that.

The real question is if Wal-Mart would want a bus to stop at their store. If they did, they would've pitched for that by now.

Now while it might sound simple on paper, there's no direct way for the bus to even get to Wal-Mart. There's no easy way in or out the place nor is there any way the bus can turn onto the roads leading to Wal-Mart as they don't allow the turns there. It would have to do quite a number of loops to get around which is pretty pointless in the long run.

what?? this is bogus no other routes need sbs just more limited runs that's good enough.

The real question is if Wal-Mart would want a bus to stop at their store. If they did, they would've pitched for that by now.

Now while it might sound simple on paper, there's no direct way for the bus to even get to Wal-Mart. There's no easy way in or out the place nor is there any way the bus can turn onto the roads leading to Wal-Mart as they don't allow the turns there. It would have to do quite a number of loops to get around which is pretty pointless in the long run.

There's bus stops at other Walmarts in NJ (like Neptune), I'm sure if they were approached about it there'd be no issue.