NHL 2012-2013 season & News Thread

Shortline Bus

LMAO! Parise signed with the Wild last year for big bucks... They still have some veterans like Elias.  I think the sport is changing... You're seeing a lot more 40 somethings that can still play... Jagr, Selanne, and Alfredsson with Detroit come to mind and several others that will be approaching 40 in the next few years...

hmpf, News to me about Parise.... So he's on the Wild now... lol....

Yeah, there are more 40 something or near 40 somethings in the NHL moreso than the 3 other main sports... Which to be honest, can't be good for the sport.... I mean, how much & for how long can they shove Prissy Crosby in our faces.... Where's all the good up & coming talent in the NHL..... Hang up the god damn skates already for crying out loud.... Gotta smh when you have men that old, geriatrically motioning along a rink, up a court, up a field, etc etc.....

I hope the sport isn't changing to the tune where you have more & more older players in the mix... If the NHL ever gets to the point where they're still marketing Jagr (for example) as one of the top guys in the league, Bettman & company's got some problems... It's similar to what happened to boxing and how it fell off after the big name guys in the 80's-90's got old & retired....

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmpf, News to me about Parise.... So he's on the Wild now... lol....

Yeah, there are more 40 something or near 40 somethings in the NHL moreso than the 3 other main sports... Which to be honest, can't be good for the sport.... I mean, how much & for how long can they shove Prissy Crosby in our faces.... Where's all the good up & coming talent in the NHL..... Hang up the god damn skates already for crying out loud.... Gotta smh when you have men that old, geriatrically motioning along a rink, up a court, up a field, etc etc.....

I hope the sport isn't changing to the tune where you have more & more older players in the mix... If the NHL ever gets to the point where they're still marketing Jagr (for example) as one of the top guys in the league, Bettman & company's got some problems... It's similar to what happened to boxing and how it fell off after the big name guys in the 80's-90's got old & retired....

Nah that's not happening at all.  The game has become a lot quicker and if these guys can't cut it then no one is going to sign them in this new cap salary era.  There is plenty of young talent coming in, but you still have guys like Selanne who can actually still put up decent points at 43 and he has still very good speed.  In fact I don't think he's really lost a step.  I watch most of the Ducks games and this guy is still a top 6 winger.  These guys work hard to stay in shape and so I don't mind seeing a guy like Selanne around.  The guy is still a 30 goal scorer at 43 which is pretty amazing. It's hard to find 30 goal scorers in the league with the way teams are getting better defensively so he's a guy that can play until he's ready to hang them up.  He sees the ice very well and doesn't use up tons of energy which allows him to stay fresh.  Jagr on the other hand I could see him retiring in the next few years.  He's a big guy, plays in the corners and endures a lot of physical contact.  Not exactly ideal for a guy his age.  

Archived