NHL 2012-2013 season & News Thread

Shortline Bus

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well bad news for us diehard and causal NHL fans. Talks on Friday 11/9/12 collapsed and both sides i.e Bettman/NHL Owners and Fehr/NHLPA are the farest apart since the current work stoppage started. This is the first time i believe the 2012-'13 season is now in "serious jeporady" of being canned.

http://newyork.cbslo...-days-of-talks/

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching NHL Network for special hockey programs because I don't see this lockout ending anytime soon. I love how Bettman is trying to act like the owners are being so fair asking the players to give up their 57/50 share to reduce their share to 50/50 when the NHLPA made serious concessions the last time they negotiated.

Why are people so interested in this... it's just millionares arguing with billionares....

LOL... You clearly don't know much about the sport... Only the big stars in the NHL make millions... Some guys make thousands not millions and considering some of the injuries these goes go through that really isn't much. Entry contracts pay peanuts compared to the other sports and certainly not millions and even the superstars make peanuts. Some of the biggest stars earn about $8 million a year compared to say a washed up Alex Rodriguez with the Yanks who earns triple that and then some at $25 million a year. Smh

LOL... You clearly don't know much about the sport... Only the big stars in the NHL make millions... Some guys make thousands not millions and considering some of the injuries these goes go through that really isn't much. Entry contracts pay peanuts compared to the other sports and certainly not millions and even the superstars make peanuts. Some of the biggest stars earn about $8 million a year compared to say a washed up Alex Rodriguez with the Yanks who earns triple that and then some at $25 million a year. Smh

Threxx is not into sports VG8 so give him a break. Thus he probably would not know of the world top 5 team sports i.e NFL, soccer, NBA/Global basketball, MLB/Japan baseball and NHL, the NHL are the lowest paid.

Time to drop the NHL from 4th major sport. Great job, kill the season... Idiots didn't learn a damn thing from the Hostess bankruptcy. I hope all fans just says: 'drop dead NHL' and 'thanks for nothing'.

Concourse the diehard US fans like VG8 will come back. So will most of sports fans in Canada since it's national sport their version of what the NFL/Baseball is to us American sports fans or soccer is to rest of world. It's the casual US sports fans like us(i.e Concourse, B35 and myself)that would ticked off not to watch for a while when it does come back.

Looks like the NHL Owners/Bettman and the players association have agreed to an "outside mediator" to try to save the 2012-'13 season. Clock is ticking and if no agreement by lastest around Dec. 15 IMO, season is gone.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/11/26/sp-nhl-lockout-mediation-guide-questions-oldfield.html

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we now 'this close' to pulling the plug on the 2012-2013 nhl season. I knew it would be nasty but i now even i now have doubts this season will be played at all.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2012/12/06/nhl-nhlpa-labor-talks-thursday/1752201/

With Comcast/NBC just paying a $2 Billion multi year contract for NHL rights in US, I thought we might had a 50-60 game season with their pressure. Indirectly ESPN/Disney and Time Warner/TNT pressure played a role in ending last season NBA work stoppage and thus why it would apply here. Now i am not sure any games will be played for a long while. I am sure if no deal is done after New Years's it's a wrap. reactions?

I'm not shocked at this at all and neither should anyone else. The NHLPA flexed its muscled well in advance to this fiasco when it voted down the whole realignment situation and at that point there were whispers going on that these negotiations would be nasty as both sides understood what this would mean and the NHLPA wanted to flex its muscles and show how much strength they've got. I still support the players 100% on this one. They gave up quite a bit during the last negotiations and the NHL and the owners are clearly trying to take more of the pie. They keep yelling about 50/50 when the players have given up more and more during each strike and if they cave in next time it'll be 60/40 in favor of the league and the owners and so on and so forth. Not only would they be giving up more but even with the so called 50/50 it clearly would be the league's favor since they would further cut away at salaries. These long term big contracts we're seeing would probably be less likely too.

Why are people so interested in this... it's just millionares arguing with billionares....

That's a rather ignorant thing to say..... Because people are interested in the sport, that's why.

Time to drop the NHL from 4th major sport.

I'm assuming this is being said out of frustration, but still..... Not happening.

.....It's the casual US sports fans like us (i.e Concourse, B35 and myself) that would ticked off not to watch for a while when it does come back.

I wouldn't go that far... I would still watch the NHL whenever it came back....

I'm not shocked at this at all and neither should anyone else. The NHLPA flexed its muscled well in advance to this fiasco when it voted down the whole realignment situation and at that point there were whispers going on that these negotiations would be nasty as both sides understood what this would mean and the NHLPA wanted to flex its muscles and show how much strength they've got. I still support the players 100% on this one.

Pretty much, this..... It's a reason why I haven't bothered 1] checking this thread, but more importantly... 2] keeping up with any regularity, the talks/ongoings regarding this dispute..... I already concluded in my mind that there wasn't gonna be a season this year anyway.....

Yeah, frustration. It was mainly because of how promising the Rangers line up looked this year. Lundquist isn't getting any younger and this is the worst time to lose a year when he's at his prime or peak. If they can't win a cup now, I dunno if there's going to be another player of his caliber to replace him. Very very pissed. Had this been like '5 years' [forgot how long exactly] ago when they still sucked, I wouldn't have cared.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, seems like now 50% of the season is gone. "Good job everyone"....

Concourse i say if no agreement is made right after new years season is over. Bettman when he cancelled the 2004-'05 season, the announcement was at the end of January.

I am also ticked off as a NY Rangers fan that this season might be wiped out.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived