First look at the $76 million Barclays Center subway station

mark1447

76millstation14bpw-11-web.jpg

"Life is about moments. So is New York City. The first time you see a doorman in a top hat and tails in front of the Plaza Hotel. When you lay eyes on the Statue of Liberty. Every time you take the Long Island Expressway to the Midtown Tunnel and the skyline opens up before you. Yankee Stadium. Landing at LaGuardia.

There’s a new one. Opening this Monday at 8 a.m., subway travelers on nine lines will be able to walk up the stairs of a new station where Flatbush meets Atlantic in downtown Brooklyn and see the rusted metal oculus of Barclays Center spread before them like a moment in a science-fiction film. It’s as grand as Lincoln Center, as Brooklyn as the Boys of Summer, and as New York as a skyscraper.

The cost $76 million. No, it’s not paved in gold. But not a cent of it came from taxpayers’ pockets. Forest City Ratner Companies (FCRC), the developer of the arena, the housing around it, MetroTech and Atlantic Center Mall, agreed to pay for the station as part of financing in return for the air rights from the MTA above the arena’s plaza, where one day a world-class commercial building could stand."

Read the rest: http://www.nydailyne...7#ixzz26c011Bfj

I think this stadium is disgustingly ugly. The rust metal pieces destroy the beauty to me.

I find it unique, but everyone has their opinion...

Why: It’s 55 steps from the subway entrance to the arena’s front door. According to the MTA and Forest City, who did car, train and bike studies, there is no reason to drive to Barclays Center, ever.

That's right. Don't drive there.

Typo

Fixed! Still go job by Mark on posting article. Big issue for those going to Net NBA games and or concerts is not those using the subway or LIRR. It will be those using their cars(and yes thousands will still use it)and traffic around Flatbush and Atlantic which is already a parking lot during rush hours and sometimes other times during the day.

Bah, I'm still announcing it as Atlantic-Pacific, unless there's actually an event going on there. Nobody ever announces "This is 34 St-Madison Square Garden" .....

Note that there are new supplements on the 4 line for after-game specials, which will run LOCAL.

That's because it's not the name of the station, unlike this which is the official station name. There's no station called Pacific St anymore.

The supplements will run local where? In Brooklyn? Manhattan? Both?

Not meant to be off topic. Thus why i never could understand why there no "Park and Ride" subway stops in the MTA system.

Check this out.

Basically, it's to encourage people to use transit to reach the subway stations, rather than driving. You take up less space because you can build more stores instead of putting up a parking lot, and you provide ridership to the buses that feed the subway stations.

Out in more spread-out areas, park-and-rides work better because there isn't good transit feeding into the train stations, but that's not the case in NYC.

It's an urban transit system, not a commuter railroad.

On topic:

I wonder how the station will handle the after-game crowds.

So? There are some Subway systems with a P&R. WMATA Metro is one. I believe PATCO (not a Subway System, but not an RR too) as well. You don't have to be a RR to have a P&R.

On topic:

I wonder how the station will handle the after-game crowds.

I agree guys you should take the subway or LIRR here in this case. However if you follow sports there will be always a group of fans who are car owners and will never set foot on mass transit. That my point.

I agree guys you should take the subway or LIRR here in this case. However if you follow sports there will be always a group of fans who are car owners and will never set foot on mass transit. That my point.

Agreed! While its good the city is trying to encourage Mass Transit, but not everyone should be forced to even use mass transit. If they wanna go by car, let them. Just like those heading to/from work or any other destination.

Bah, I'm still announcing it as Atlantic-Pacific, unless there's actually an event going on there. Nobody ever announces "This is 34 St-Madison Square Garden" .....

Note that there are new supplements on the 4 line for after-game specials, which will run LOCAL.

Where do the supplements end, 149 St GC?

Another question is will everyone stay on those local trains, or will anyone get off at Brooklyn Bridge and try to wait for an express? This will be a bigger issue on weekends, because the (5) ends earlier, doesn't run to Bowling Green, or runs every 20 minutes, so the express (4) is going to be jammed (with little to no help from the (5)).

Boston's MBTA Subway has parking lots at quite a few stations. When I was there in May I Parked at Riverside station on the green line.

There is no parking, there was never any plans for it...

Well that was a stupid idea. The other major sports stadiums in New York City, Yankees Stadium and CitiField/Tennis Center have parking lots. MSG is understandable since its in the middle of midtown Manhattan but this is Brooklyn here. As shortline says there will be sports fans who dont want to take the Subway there or the train, frankly who can blame them, I can imagine what rowdyness must happen on the subway when the yankee and mets games finish. What about out of towners who come to visit?

Archived