First look at the $76 million Barclays Center subway station

mark1447

I think this stadium is disgustingly ugly. The rust metal pieces destroy the beauty to me.

For me the rust metal pieces bring the antique feeling of the station. Well, this station is already old.....It was opened in the early 20th century, with the IRT Eastern Parkway Line platforms the oldest. The name is completely new, it was only renamed May 2012.

Where do the supplements end, 149 St GC?

Another question is will everyone stay on those local trains, or will anyone get off at Brooklyn Bridge and try to wait for an express? This will be a bigger issue on weekends, because the (5) ends earlier, doesn't run to Bowling Green, or runs every 20 minutes, so the express (4) is going to be jammed (with little to no help from the (5)).

Im guessing they will Run Local only in Crooklyn then Express in Manhattan. Remember After Atlantic its either Bway or the East Side...

Well that was a stupid idea. The other major sports stadiums in New York City, Yankees Stadium and CitiField/Tennis Center have parking lots. MSG is understandable since its in the middle of midtown Manhattan but this is Brooklyn here. As shortline says there will be sports fans who dont want to take the Subway there or the train, frankly who can blame them, I can imagine what rowdyness must happen on the subway when the yankee and mets games finish. What about out of towners who come to visit?

If you don't want to take the subway, don't come. That's all I can tell you. There are plenty of options for out-of-towners, and I'm sure workers will be on hand to help people around. Would you like to sit in traffic for an hour and then not have a place to park? I think that'll deter people from driving right there.

Well that was a stupid idea. The other major sports stadiums in New York City, Yankees Stadium and CitiField/Tennis Center have parking lots. MSG is understandable since its in the middle of midtown Manhattan but this is Brooklyn here. As shortline says there will be sports fans who dont want to take the Subway there or the train, frankly who can blame them, I can imagine what rowdyness must happen on the subway when the yankee and mets games finish. What about out of towners who come to visit?

Where would there even be room for a parking lot near the Barclays Center? Besides, let's remember that it's not as if people are entitled to a basketball arena. If people want one in Brooklyn, they're going to have to accept the caveat that they can't fill the streets with traffic. The area near the Barclays Center is very different from Citi Field for example. There are actually residential neighborhoods just nearby, in the path of traffic leaving/entering the arena (I'm pretty sure).

And I've taken the (7) train to/from Citi Field, on a pretty special and exciting day there (I won't say what happened :lol:), and it wasn't rowdy at all...

when Atlantic Ave and the surrounded streets are loaded with traffic and people start spilling over onto residential streets looking for parking on game night, they'll wish they had one. One of the things many sports fans do in the parking lots is tailgate and hang out before the game.

and secondly I don't even like basketball so I wouldn't go there anyway. Concerts? there's always the Jones Beach marine theater.

when Atlantic Ave and the surrounded streets are loaded with traffic and people start spilling over onto residential streets looking for parking on game night, they'll wish they had one. One of the things many sports fans do in the parking lots is tailgate and hang out before the game.

and secondly I don't even like basketball so I wouldn't go there anyway. Concerts? there's always the Jones Beach marine theater.

Foxie there will be concerts there as well.

They won't have traffic, because it's been made clear that's there's no parking. There's no space for it anyway. Take the train.

They won't have traffic, because it's been made clear that's there's no parking. There's no space for it anyway. Take the train.

people will drive anyway and park on the street somewhere. Does the lack of parking deter people from driving to work in Manhattan? and many people do as the bridges and tunnels into Manhattan are backed up during rush hour and the FDR and Henry Hudson Parkways are also full of traffic in rush hour.

You completely ignored my point.

people will drive anyway and park on the street somewhere. Does the lack of parking deter people from driving to work in Manhattan? and many people do as the bridges and tunnels into Manhattan are backed up during rush hour and the FDR and Henry Hudson Parkways are also full of traffic in rush hour.

The question is how many people will actually be coming to the Barclays Center from the suburbs where there's no subway service.

You completely ignored my point.

The question is how many people will actually be coming to the Barclays Center from the suburbs where there's no subway service.

Dont forget the LIRR stops at the arena as well. So some LI fans will use the LIRR. Question remains is how many Net fans from NJ and Westchester/Lower Hudson Valley & Fairfield County, CT. will use mass transit to get to the games? Not counting out of towners not from the metro area of course.

the lots tend to be filled up at Yankee and Mets games in their respective stadiums.

That's a good point, but we don't know how many of those people would take the subway if they were forced to. You still also haven't addressed where this parking lot would be located.

Dont forget the LIRR stops at the arena as well. So some LI fans will use the LIRR. Question remains is how many Net fans from NJ and Westchester/Lower Hudson Valley & Fairfield County, CT. will use mass transit to get to the games? Not counting out of towners not from the metro area of course.

That's true, but I'm assuming that suburbanites generally prefer to drive, and the LIRR is more expensive and potentially farther from people's homes.

the lots tend to be filled up at Yankee and Mets games in their respective stadiums.

Yankee parking lot use has declined since the Metro North opened Yankees E 153rd Street station. Many people are now parking at the train stations in Westchester and Connecticut to grab a direct train to the New Yankee Stadium.

http://riveraveblues...on-bonds-44645/

http://pearlriver.pa...s-fans-6be36d48

Yankee parking lot use has declined since the Metro North opened Yankees E 153rd Street station. Many people are now parking at the train stations in Westchester and Connecticut to grab a direct train to the New Yankee Stadium.

http://riveraveblues...on-bonds-44645/

http://pearlriver.pa...s-fans-6be36d48

Both articles point to the high cost of parking in the nearby lots as another factor.

It's only the Hudson line that has all direct service, many trains require transferring from the other lines and its only the post game trains that are direct for the most part. But where are the other people who drive to Yankee Stadium are coming from? There's still Northern Jersey people and Rockland people that will still drive. But its a decision people will have to make, do I sit in traffic getting out of the stadium, or do I sit on a train full of rowdy drunk hooligans coming out of the sports game, some of them could be throwing up on the seats or getting into fights.

For someone on Long Island to take the train to Yankee Stadium they'd have to take one train, two subways, and either one train or another subway (transferring at 149 will be off putting for many long islanders) for Jersey they have to take NJTransit, PATH, and then the 2-3 subway trains to get up there. Rockland its even more difficult because of less service on the Pascack Valley line. Staten Islanders would have to take a bus to the ferry or the SIRT to the ferry then walk to the 4 to get up there. Its even tougher for Staten Islanders because if you miss that ferry you are stuck in lower Manhattan for another half hour. (Assuming they don't want to spring the extra money for the x1 or x10)

I'm glad there's no parking lot. Mass transit isn't an option for everyone, and the trains are already crowded as is, but the stadium shouldn't be actively encouraging people to drive either. Traffic around the mall already sucks, and we can go without a swarm of stadium-goers making it much worse. And there really isn't space for a parking lot, it's a little like Manhattan with the lack of space (plus Downtown Brooklyn isn't far away)

Also kind of like MSG, Barclays has great enough mass transit access that it not being accommodating for motorists isn't a deal-breaker the way it might be at Citifield or something.

Both articles point to the high cost of parking in the nearby lots as another factor.

It's only the Hudson line that has all direct service, many trains require transferring from the other lines and its only the post game trains that are direct for the most part. But where are the other people who drive to Yankee Stadium are coming from? There's still Northern Jersey people and Rockland people that will still drive. But its a decision people will have to make, do I sit in traffic getting out of the stadium, or do I sit on a train full of rowdy drunk hooligans coming out of the sports game, some of them could be throwing up on the seats or getting into fights.

For someone on Long Island to take the train to Yankee Stadium they'd have to take one train, two subways, and either one train or another subway (transferring at 149 will be off putting for many long islanders) for Jersey they have to take NJTransit, PATH, and then the 2-3 subway trains to get up there. Rockland its even more difficult because of less service on the Pascack Valley line. Staten Islanders would have to take a bus to the ferry or the SIRT to the ferry then walk to the 4 to get up there. Its even tougher for Staten Islanders because if you miss that ferry you are stuck in lower Manhattan for another half hour. (Assuming they don't want to spring the extra money for the x1 or x10)

Little off topic. This reminds me of the Pacers/Pistions Brawl when a drunk fan throws a cup of diet coke at a player then diaster happens. Drunk people can be a pain since they can create diasters like fights and sucides.

Still waiting for lilbluefoxie to explain where he'd put the parking lot at the Barclays Center...

as I explained earlier, the lack of parking was a flaw in the design, something they cant fix now. What I thought they should have done was built the stadium over a 1-2 story parking garage, have parking on the first 2-3 floors then have the stadium on top of that, since theres a train yard underneath, the parking would start at ground level and go up. Theres not much they can do about it now, there is private lots in the vicinity, and I encourage anyone driving to the station to park legally in the residential side streets, when theres major traffic jams in downtown brooklyn after a game, they will realize how they screwed up.

Even if they had a location for the garage, that part of Brooklyn is a mess car traffic wise. I think the last thing that area needed was more cars driving there especially during the evening rush. I think mass transit should be encouraged over just driving. Weekends are a different story as it shouldn't be as hectic and transit sucks then. But that said, I think you make a valid point about how there could've been a garage built below the arena to be an additional garage for that area. Of course it'll need security sweeps because it's below the arena (ie make sure there are no car bombs or other terroristic threats).

Even if they had a location for the garage, that part of Brooklyn is a mess car traffic wise. I think the last thing that area needed was more cars driving there especially during the evening rush. I think mass transit should be encouraged over just driving. Weekends are a different story as it shouldn't be as hectic and transit sucks then. But that said, I think you make a valid point about how there could've been a garage built below the arena to be an additional garage for that area. Of course it'll need security sweeps because it's below the arena (ie make sure there are no car bombs or other terroristic threats).

thats easy, pay a few rentacops to wander around the lot, its not that effective becasue someone with malicious intent can just detonate a bomb at the entrance to the lot and still cause a lot of damage.

Okay, now that the supplements have actually been posted, here is the deal. On event nights, southbound 4 trains will run local from Atlantic to Utica beginning with the 9:45PM train at Atlantic. Otherwise, 4 service will be normal and there won't be any extra trains. Which means that you're gonna get a ton of stubborn people waiting on the island platform for the s/b 4's, since it needs to stay open for the n/b 4's. But since the majority of the crowd are gonna be going Manhattan-bound, it will be better crowd control to have them spread across 2 platforms with all s/b people on tk 1's platform.

And until they cover up the mosaics on the BMT platform with the metal BARCLAY CENTER signs, I'm still announcing it as "Atlantic-Pacific". Or once in a while I might do "Atlantic-Pacific-Flatbush-Barclays!"

Archived