First look at the $76 million Barclays Center subway station

mark1447

Okay, now that the supplements have actually been posted, here is the deal. On event nights, southbound 4 trains will run local from Atlantic to Utica beginning with the 9:45PM train at Atlantic. Otherwise, 4 service will be normal and there won't be any extra trains. Which means that you're gonna get a ton of stubborn people waiting on the island platform for the s/b 4's, since it needs to stay open for the n/b 4's. But since the majority of the crowd are gonna be going Manhattan-bound, it will be better crowd control to have them spread across 2 platforms with all s/b people on tk 1's platform.

And until they cover up the mosaics on the BMT platform with the metal BARCLAY CENTER signs, I'm still announcing it as "Atlantic-Pacific". Or once in a while I might do "Atlantic-Pacific-Flatbush-Barclays!"

Well, I hope the fans will make their way on time. :D

as I explained earlier, the lack of parking was a flaw in the design, something they cant fix now. What I thought they should have done was built the stadium over a 1-2 story parking garage, have parking on the first 2-3 floors then have the stadium on top of that, since theres a train yard underneath, the parking would start at ground level and go up. Theres not much they can do about it now, there is private lots in the vicinity, and I encourage anyone driving to the station to park legally in the residential side streets, when theres major traffic jams in downtown brooklyn after a game, they will realize how they screwed up.

It can't be a flaw if it was purposefully done.

Where do the supplements end, 149 St GC?

Another question is will everyone stay on those local trains, or will anyone get off at Brooklyn Bridge and try to wait for an express? This will be a bigger issue on weekends, because the (5) ends earlier, doesn't run to Bowling Green, or runs every 20 minutes, so the express (4) is going to be jammed (with little to no help from the (5)).

This will also be a good opportunity to extend the (5) weekends to Flatbush as well.

hampton-coliseum.jpg

Now this is how to build a coliseum (in Hampton Virginia) easy access and plenty of parking. Granted the areas not as built up as Brooklyn but still. I believe they should have put the Barclays center in Southern Brooklyn by that empty land by the Belt Parkway around Gerritsen Beach or Marine Park, and model it after flushing meadows park and citifield except as an indoor stadium rather than an outdoor baseball one.

hampton-coliseum.jpg

Now this is how to build a coliseum (in Hampton Virginia) easy access and plenty of parking. Granted the areas not as built up as Brooklyn but still. I believe they should have put the Barclays center in Southern Brooklyn by that empty land by the Belt Parkway around Gerritsen Beach or Marine Park, and model it after flushing meadows park and citifield except as an indoor stadium rather than an outdoor baseball one.

I would have built it either in Coney Island or Sunset Park/Gowanus (BQE)area. That area you mentioned Foxie in Marine Park or that part of S. Brooklyn lacks any subway or MNRR/LIRR lines. This is not 1960's or 70's where say the old Giants Stadium/Meadowlands was bulit pre NJ Transit. Since the late 1990's, the almost requirement of almost all of the new stadiums across America built is to be located both at a major mass transit line and also a highway/freeway interchange access.

Understatement much?

there's parts of Brooklyn that aren't built up and could use some redevelopment. The segment by Floyd Bennett Field and Marine Park for example, I remember years ago when they built all those stores and opened the Erskine St exit on the Belt. According to google maps there is some land there that's still vacant, not enough for a stadium but you could probably put some more stores in there or some parking lots.

Hello Mr Perfect Foxie. Who always right lol! Did you read this statement.

I would have built it either in Coney Island or Sunset Park/Gowanus (BQE)area. That area you mentioned Foxie in Marine Park or that part of S. Brooklyn lacks any subway or MNRR/LIRR lines. This is not 1960's or 70's where say the old Giants Stadium/Meadowlands was bulit pre NJ Transit. Since the late 1990's, the almost requirement of almost all of the new stadiums across America built is to be located both at a major mass transit line and also a highway/freeway interchange access.

Hello Mr Perfect Foxie. Who always right lol! Did you read this statement.

i was gunna get to that, I forgot tho. I dont know if thats actually a requirement. I cant imagine those fancy new sports stadiums they get in the south have mass transit access, maybe buses but thats it. But I do know they have ample parking. I am definitely a student of the Robert Moses school of urban planning, which I proudly admit to, much to the dismay of the others on here.

Is it not obvious that parking would have created a traffic nightmare around Flatbush/Atlantic???

You're not always right...

Being fair Threxx, Flatbush/Atlantic is already a parking lot during rush hours and now other times of the day. Foxie or myself was never suggesting to bulid a 10,000 car parking lot at that location either. Just suugesting a few more parking lots at least for some of the season ticket holders that all.

Both articles point to the high cost of parking in the nearby lots as another factor.

It's only the Hudson line that has all direct service, many trains require transferring from the other lines and its only the post game trains that are direct for the most part. But where are the other people who drive to Yankee Stadium are coming from? There's still Northern Jersey people and Rockland people that will still drive. But its a decision people will have to make, do I sit in traffic getting out of the stadium, or do I sit on a train full of rowdy drunk hooligans coming out of the sports game, some of them could be throwing up on the seats or getting into fights.

For someone on Long Island to take the train to Yankee Stadium they'd have to take one train, two subways, and either one train or another subway (transferring at 149 will be off putting for many long islanders) for Jersey they have to take NJTransit, PATH, and then the 2-3 subway trains to get up there. Rockland its even more difficult because of less service on the Pascack Valley line. Staten Islanders would have to take a bus to the ferry or the SIRT to the ferry then walk to the 4 to get up there. Its even tougher for Staten Islanders because if you miss that ferry you are stuck in lower Manhattan for another half hour. (Assuming they don't want to spring the extra money for the x1 or x10)

1 During Yankees games *all* lines stop at Yankees-E153rd so direct access for all it is.

2 LIRR residents can just pick up a train from the City Terminal Zone, then the 2-3 to Manhattan and then the (4) to Yankees Stadium (or the MNRR at GC). Besides, you're totally forgetting about the new tunnel I guess? In about 5 years people from LI will have direct access to GCT where they can fetch a (4) or MNRR.

As for Barclays: people from LI can just take the City Terminal Zone. Direct access to Atlantic Terminal. Requires at most 1 transfer at Jamaica if you don't live near a line that goes into AT.

1 During Yankees games *all* lines stop at Yankees-E153rd so direct access for all it is.

2 LIRR residents can just pick up a train from the City Terminal Zone, then the 2-3 to Manhattan and then the (4) to Yankees (or the MNRR at GC). Besides, you're totally forgetting about the new tunnel I guess? In about 5 years people from LI will have direct access to GCT where they can fetch a (4) or MNRR.

As for Barclays: people from LI can just take the City Terminal Zone. Direct access to Atlantic Terminal. Requires at most 1 transfer at Jamaica.

1) not evry train does tho. Yea they have yankee service on all lines, i wasnt saying there wasnt but only the hudson line has all the hudson locals stop there. They even have gct to yankee direct shuttles. I saw them on the schedule board at gct.

2) long islanders arent gunna want to transfer at 149 street. As for ESA, thats still a ways away, its uncertain if it will be delayed even further. ESA is gunna mess up barclays service if they eliminate the direct service to atlantic from hempstead and the far rock branches (in the off peak)

1) not evry train does tho. Yea they have yankee service on all lines, i wasnt saying there wasnt but only the hudson line has all the hudson locals stop there. They even have gct to yankee direct shuttles. I saw them on the schedule board at gct.

2) long islanders arent gunna want to transfer at 149 street. As for ESA, thats still a ways away, its uncertain if it will be delayed even further. ESA is gunna mess up barclays service if they eliminate the direct service to atlantic from hempstead and the far rock branches (in the off peak)

1) Yes, all Hudson trains stop there when there are no games. That's to serve the surrounding area. But on game days all trains from every line stop.

2) Why won't they? It's only a short travel time to Atlantic Terminal and then a short travel time with the 2-3+4 or MNRR.

1) Yes, all Hudson trains stop there when there are no games. That's to serve the surrounding area. But on game days all trains from every line stop.

2) Why won't they? It's only a short travel time to Atlantic Terminal and then a short travel time with the 2-3+4 or MNRR.

I looked at the schedules it didnt indicate thats how they do it. There is a single track to connect the nh/harlem line to the hudson line, are they routing everything thru that connector in both directions? The schedule had only a few yankee clipper direct trains the rest called for changing trains at 125 mostly, and then they had direct departures post game, one 20 min after its done and the other 45 min after.

Correction. All Hudson Local trains stop at East 153 St/Yankee Stadium 365 days a year. Poughkeepsie/Upper Hudson Express trains only stop at the Yankees stadium on game days/concert events.

Correction. All Hudson Local trains stop at East 153 St/Yankee Stadium 365 days a year. Poughkeepsie/Upper Hudson Express trains only stop at the Yankees stadium on game days/concert events.

Oops, yeah forgot to add the local part. I should get some sleep lol. Thanks for correcting me :)

Both articles point to the high cost of parking in the nearby lots as another factor.

It's only the Hudson line that has all direct service, many trains require transferring from the other lines and its only the post game trains that are direct for the most part. But where are the other people who drive to Yankee Stadium are coming from? There's still Northern Jersey people and Rockland people that will still drive. But its a decision people will have to make, do I sit in traffic getting out of the stadium, or do I sit on a train full of rowdy drunk hooligans coming out of the sports game, some of them could be throwing up on the seats or getting into fights.

For someone on Long Island to take the train to Yankee Stadium they'd have to take one train, two subways, and either one train or another subway (transferring at 149 will be off putting for many long islanders) for Jersey they have to take NJTransit, PATH, and then the 2-3 subway trains to get up there. Rockland its even more difficult because of less service on the Pascack Valley line. Staten Islanders would have to take a bus to the ferry or the SIRT to the ferry then walk to the 4 to get up there. Its even tougher for Staten Islanders because if you miss that ferry you are stuck in lower Manhattan for another half hour. (Assuming they don't want to spring the extra money for the x1 or x10)

If somebody's going to spend the money to drive, I think they'd be willing to spend the money on the express bus. ;)

And for the buses from Rockland, it would be easier to take a bus to the GW Bridge Bus Terminal and then taking the Bx13 rather than bothering with the rail lines up there.

If somebody's going to spend the money to drive, I think they'd be willing to spend the money on the express bus. ;)

And for the buses from Rockland, it would be easier to take a bus to the GW Bridge Bus Terminal and then taking the Bx13 rather than bothering with the rail lines up there.

Checkmate problem is the Coach USA/Rockland Coaches buses last buses leave GWB for Rockland/Bergen County at around 10-11pm

It can get long due to delays, etc...

Archived