First look at the $76 million Barclays Center subway station

mark1447

Check this out.

Basically, it's to encourage people to use transit to reach the subway stations, rather than driving. You take up less space because you can build more stores instead of putting up a parking lot, and you provide ridership to the buses that feed the subway stations.

Out in more spread-out areas, park-and-rides work better because there isn't good transit feeding into the train stations, but that's not the case in NYC.

Cant you do both? Parking spots means more people will be encouraged to take the train, since bus turns some people off.

Cant you do both? Parking spots means more people will be encouraged to take the train, since bus turns some people off.

If they cant park at the station, they might just say screw it and take their chances just driving to their destination. Ample parking at a station is a good thing since it makes it easy for people to take the train. Westchester from what I have noticed is even worse with parking than Nassau county is in their respective railroad stations.

Sometimes these bloggers don't understand that suburbia is different than the city. What may work in the city, may not work in the suburbs.

If they cant park at the station, they might just say screw it and take their chances just driving to their destination. Ample parking at a station is a good thing since it makes it easy for people to take the train. Westchester from what I have noticed is even worse with parking than Nassau county is in their respective railroad stations.

Thank You. I dont always agree w/ foxie but as much as mass transit is great fact is we been trying to beat the point some people will always use their cars even if they have to pay $50 for parking at say MSG. LIRR/MNRR and even NYC subway(in few outerboro locations)should be promoting park and ride more.

FYI. Off Topic for second. Further up the Hudson Line on MNRR stations as Beacon and Poughkeespie have a long waiting list of up to a year or more for weekday parking. For those in say nearby Ulster County towns of Highland and New Paltz MNRR and local Poughkeepsie officals have been urging Ulster riders weekdays to use the Link Bus and park at Highland Park and Ride. Yet Highland Park and Ride always has spots even at height of weekday rush hour. Ditto for Orange County riders going to/from Beacon to use the Newburgh CUSA/Shortline Bus terminal via Stewart Airport bus. Ridership has been terrible that weekend service on Stewart-Beacon line was cut about a year ago.

Thank You. I dont always agree w/ foxie but as much as mass transit is great fact is we been trying to beat the point some people will always use their cars even if they have to pay $50 for parking at say MSG. LIRR/MNRR and even NYC subway(in few outerboro locations)should be promoting park and ride more.

FYI. Off Topic for second. Further up the Hudson Line on MNRR stations as Beacon and Poughkeespie have a long waiting list of up to a year or more for weekday parking. For those in say nearby Ulster County towns of Highland and New Paltz MNRR and local Poughkeepsie officals have been urging Ulster riders weekdays to use the Link Bus and park at Highland Park and Ride. Yet Highland Park and Ride always has spots even at height of weekday rush hour. Ditto for Orange County riders going to/from Beacon to use the Newburgh CUSA/Shortline Bus terminal via Stewart Airport bus. Ridership has been terrible that weekend service on Stewart-Beacon line was cut about a year ago.

Metro North's biggest weakness is a lack of proper parking at the stations. They're a great railroad and I think out of all the MTA divisions they are the best run and most competent. But thats the weakness. Many of the out east LIRR stations like Ronkonkoma and Speonk have large parking lots with unrestricted parking to encourage people to take the train.

When I went to Wassaic and Southeast they didnt look like they had very big parking lots considering the fact they attract commuters from areas that dont have Metro North coverage. As much of a suburbanite as I am, I do take the train when it makes sense to do so, like if I am going to New York city or somewhere far out like Montauk or Greenport. I personally dont like driving in New York City because of the bad drivers.

You want to encourage mass transit usage, make it attractive to motorists, (people from the city like that blogger someone linked to that put down suburban living and automobiles isnt going to get people from out here to take mass transit), make the parking lots have enough space to accommodate commuters and future growth. These towns often have little to no public transportation, they want people to use their metro north stations to get to work but don't have enough place for people to park, and often times the parking permits are more money than just paying a garage in the city somewhere. How much sense does that make, when your commuter rail lot is harder to park in than a Manhattan parking garage.

Both articles point to the high cost of parking in the nearby lots as another factor.

It's only the Hudson line that has all direct service, many trains require transferring from the other lines and its only the post game trains that are direct for the most part. But where are the other people who drive to Yankee Stadium are coming from? There's still Northern Jersey people and Rockland people that will still drive. But its a decision people will have to make, do I sit in traffic getting out of the stadium, or do I sit on a train full of rowdy drunk hooligans coming out of the sports game, some of them could be throwing up on the seats or getting into fights.

For someone on Long Island to take the train to Yankee Stadium they'd have to take one train, two subways, and either one train or another subway (transferring at 149 will be off putting for many long islanders) for Jersey they have to take NJTransit, PATH, and then the 2-3 subway trains to get up there. Rockland its even more difficult because of less service on the Pascack Valley line. Staten Islanders would have to take a bus to the ferry or the SIRT to the ferry then walk to the 4 to get up there. Its even tougher for Staten Islanders because if you miss that ferry you are stuck in lower Manhattan for another half hour. (Assuming they don't want to spring the extra money for the x1 or x10)

Not if they walk from NYP to 34th street station and take B or D.

I agree guys you should take the subway or LIRR here in this case. However if you follow sports there will be always a group of fans who are car owners and will never set foot on mass transit. That my point.

They will miss half the game just to look for a parking spot then. lol.

The parking situation around Barclay is worse than MSG IMO.

They should just park somewhere near Jamaica and take LIRR from there,

In addition to the S/B 4's running local, there in fact ARE gap trains, 3 of them out of 180 and two out of Livonia, which ran for the concerts this weekend. Those trains can run on whichever routes have a demand for service. I know one of the Livonia sets went out as a 2 to 241 tonight, not sure how or if the others were used. Also a LOT of C/R platform jobs at Atlantic!

Archived