As fare increases loom, communities continue push for service restorations

Via Garibaldi 8

So apparently there is still a push to restore the B37 now that the Barclays Center is set to open. I have been in talks about trying to push for restoration of services in other areas as well... One area that has been discussed has been Astoria, which has been very vocal about service restorations. What other communities have continued to fight for service restorations/service improvements?

I know Throggs Neck residents have been very pissed at the quality of the BxM9 service and have been flooding representative Vacca's office as a result. It could very well be one reason why the Bronx is scheduled next to get Bus Time, as I have heard of several communities complaining about unreliable bus service.

Knew this was going to happen (communities wanting all of their services back)once the first set of service resotrations occured. Personally i only disagree with the B37 coming back. And if it did it should be a weekday only route running the full route weekdays 6am-11pm and maybe weekends running only between 39th St. and Shore Rd/4th Avenue.

And off topic but related. How in the world is the B39 service hours only between 7am-9pm 7 days a week? Maybe only Sundays it can have service end that early. During weekdays it should be running only at least 11pm.

Well I've had my focus on a few routes now that the B2, B4, B64 X27 are being restored...

The X28 will continue to be on my mind, but for now my biggest gripe is the M104... I have heard so many people complaining about it that I have got to get in touch with the folks working on restoring that line back to the U.N. The last (MTA) hearing I was at a lady was representing the Upper West Side complaining about the M104, but we've got to get someone with some pull involved. I'm also in talks about some service restorations in Astoria as well.

I mean I refuse to sit back and pay more for service and get nothing in return. That is just not acceptable.

Well I've had my focus on a few routes now that the B2, B4, B64 X27 are being restored...

The X28 will continue to be on my mind, but for now my biggest gripe is the M104... I have heard so many people complaining about it that I have got to get in touch with the folks working on restoring that line back to the U.N. The last (MTA) hearing I was at a lady was representing the Upper West Side complaining about the M104, but we've got to get someone with some pull involved. I'm also in talks about some service restorations in Astoria as well.

I mean I refuse to sit back and pay more for service and get nothing in return. That is just not acceptable.

Why not run for public office VG8?(I am serious) Plus no offense you much passionate about politics/.working on (MTA) issues than being than a translator.

Why not run for public office VG8?(I am serious) Plus no offense you much passionate about politics/.working on (MTA) issues than being than a translator.

Ha! Well I've been thinking about a lot of things of late... I'm really considering opening my own business down the line or something.... I'm meeting with a good friend of mine next weekend if all goes well and I'm going to talk to him about perhaps doing something together... As for going into public office, I wouldn't rule it out. I never really got involved in transit like this but it was clear to me that the most recent cuts would be severe and I felt that they would have a profound effect on numerous communities so I guess you could say that I am becoming a bit of a transit advocate.

But no I am still quite passionate about languages, so who knows... It may become a big circus... :lol: C'est la vie!

Ha! Well I've been thinking about a lot of things of late... I'm really considering opening my own business down the line or something.... I'm meeting with a good friend of mine next weekend if all goes well and I'm going to talk to him about perhaps doing something together... As for going into public office, I wouldn't rule it out. I never really got involved in transit like this but it was clear to me that the most recent cuts would be severe and I felt that they would have a profound effect on numerous communities so I guess you could say that I am becoming a bit of a transit advocate.

But no I am still quite passionate about languages, so who knows... It may become a big circus... :lol: C'est la vie!

What kind of business would it be via? Just curious

Who NEEDS (wants) service restorations? I find what the (MTA) did was right. Don't they understand that the MTA only LOSES MONEY! And they don't care about the SMALL AMOUNT of people that need service restorations.

Using that logic, let's cut all of the express buses. They all waste so much money! Nobody NEEDS them... people could always take the local bus to the subway or the ferry!

I'd rather not turn this into an express bus debate, especially since most of the service restorations would be for LOCAL bus service and a subway line or two.

What kind of business would it be via? Just curious

That's the million dollar question. I'm not sure yet, but in my current position seeing that I oversee every aspect of the department, I would be poised to either work as a consultant or run my own business and perhaps co-partner with a good friend of mine. He and I discussed him starting his own business last year over dinner in Midtown and with my blessing, he decided to work as a consultant at his current job and then start up his own side business which was a huge gamble in this economy and so far he is holding his own. I have nothing concrete yet but perhaps the food industry would be one. The profit margins can be slim, but ran the right way, you can earn quite nicely. This would be down the road now, maybe in 4 years time or so. It's either that or go back and get my master's and work as a consultant.

The MTA is not here to make a profit. Let's make that clear. They're here to provide a service, which does not mean they have to make money.

If the (MTA) keeps losing money we get shitty service in the long run. If the (MTA) makes cuts we get shitty service in the short run or until they have money to bring it back.

Who cares about the 300 people who ride an express bus. Have you stopped to realize the big picture yet? There are millions of people in this city. The (MTA) is here to serve the millions not a tiny bunch of rich p---y who are afraid to take the subway.

Why do you give a f**k about the 2,000 people who ride an express bus. Have you stopped to realize the big picture yet? There are millions of people in this city. The (MTA) is here to serve the millions not a tiny bunch of rich pussy's who are afraid to take the subway.

Damn Quill it's one thing to not like the express buses. However to be damn rude on top of it. Chill. And by the way if no express buses who do people from SI go to work in Manhattan?

With fare increases set for next year, 2015 and 2017, we cannot and will not accept the current service set up and I intend to get as much service restored as possible. In doing some research, I have found that Senator Liz Krueger has been quite active in getting the M50 restored on weekends, as well as a stop added on the M15SBS, and has been working on the M104 restoration to the U.N., so I have wrote to her and have offered my full support to continue the fight to get the M104 restored and I don't want any partial nonsense either. We want it back the way it was especially if we're going to be paying more and more, not to mention that the M42 is not cutting it. We also want to see the M104 become more reliable as the service along the route has deteriorated substantially, so there are two issues at hand that we want the (MTA) to address.

My belief is that restoring the M104 fully will require not just her efforts, but other representatives from the area as well, much like what happened with the B4 and B64, so I will be reaching out to them too. My other gripe is the lack of service in the outer boroughs, so my focus will be to strengthen those connections where possible. Astoria is a perfect example... Residents there have a legitimate gripe about the loss of the (W) and the QM22.

The X28 and B37 for example will continue to be worked on by Assemblywoman Malliotakis, Senator Golden and Councilman Gentile.

If the (MTA) keeps losing money we get shitty service in the long run. If the (MTA) makes cuts we get shitty service in the short run or until they have money to bring it back.

Who cares about the 300 people who ride an express bus. Have you stopped to realize the big picture yet? There are millions of people in this city. The (MTA) is here to serve the millions not a tiny bunch of rich p---y who are afraid to take the subway.

The (MTA) has ALWAYS BEEN losing money. And have you not realized that where most express buses serve there is NO SUBWAY service...

This doesn't call for you to be friggin rude... and the X1 has over a million yearly riders, so f**k that 300 statement...

Well the (W) will come back in 2020 probably, the QM22 needs more trips or a QM3 diversion

I think 2020 is far too late for the (W) to be restored and the QM22 IMO certainly needs more than two trips. The key at this point is finding more funds for the (MTA), but Astoria needs more service options. The idea of having a MetroNorth stop in Astoria is being kicked around as well with the new MNRR project proposed in the Eastern part of the Bronx.

Other bus routes being kicked around include the X16, X18 and S54 weekend restoration.

Well the (W) will come back in 2020 probably, the QM22 needs more trips or a QM3 diversion

I don't think you understand how utterly useless QM3 IS even the LIRR can get more reverse service plus all but flushing and murray hill are accesible stations rendering the elderly argument invalid. I learned from using LIRR and observing it's schedule nothing will make QM3 useful not even reverse service. Especially when LIRR can just be integrated into the metrocard system.

Using that logic, let's cut all of the express buses. They all waste so much money! Nobody NEEDS them... people could always take the local bus to the subway or the ferry!

Wrong you underestimate express bus use even with quill's logic only redundant lines like QM18 or BM4 or even BXM4 will get axed most will hold their own due to unique routing and in SI and the BRONX's case will get more service due to high ridership and most will not be even considered for elimination. You know an express bus has ridership when even regular folk take them cause they refuse to use the ferry.

I don't think you understand how utterly useless QM3 IS even the LIRR can get more reverse service plus all but flushing and murray hill are accesible stations rendering the elderly argument invalid. I learned from using LIRR and observing it's schedule nothing will make QM3 useful not even reverse service. Especially when LIRR can just be integrated into the metrocard system.

Wrong you underestimate express bus use even with quill's logic only redundant lines like QM18 or BM4 or even BXM4 will get axed most will hold their own due to unique routing and in SI and the BRONX's case will get more service due to high ridership and most will not be even considered for elimination. You know an express bus has ridership when even regular folk take them cause they refuse to use the ferry.

Gorgor is a former X90 rider so dont confuse him with quill who anti-express. There are has to be common ground. While most existing Manhattan express routes should stay there are also a few express buses routes that needs to be restuctured or even canned. That something that express bus lovers like VG8 does not want to address.

Gorgor is a former X90 rider so dont confuse him with quill who anti-express. There are has to be common ground. While most existing Manhattan express routes should stay there are also a few express buses routes that needs to be restuctured or even canned. That something that express bus lovers like VG8 does not want to address.

I sometimes take the QM15 during middays. Its actually pretty convienent and a lot of people are actually on the bus by Metro, enough to keep it.

Please read the post that I quoted to understand the context of it.

Archived