As fare increases loom, communities continue push for service restorations

Via Garibaldi 8

Jesus Christ... Why is this turning into an express bus discussion when the majority of the service restorations would be for local bus service???

Gorgor is a former X90 rider so dont confuse him with quill who anti-express. There are has to be common ground. While most existing Manhattan express routes should stay there are also a few express buses routes that needs to be restuctured or even canned. That something that express bus lovers like VG8 does not want to address.

Manhattan express bus routes??????? :huh:

While most existing Manhattan express routes should stay there are also a few express buses routes that needs to be restuctured or even canned. That something that express bus lovers like VG8 does not want to address.

It has nothing to do with being an express bus "lover". If a transportation service is being provided to a community, every effort should be kept to keep it. FYI, I have fought for far more local bus restorations than anything else, so there goes your "express bus lover" theory. I petitioned to have the B2 (weekend service), B4, B31 (overnight service), B64 all restored and have limited stop service added to the S53 and am now moving forward with the push for the restoration of the M104... All local buses... By contrast, the other express buses that I've officially petitioned for are the X16, X27, X28 and BM3.

The MTA is in a crisis. You know, I think it should be owned by some foreign company, as they are just losing lots of money providing service.

Wouldn't work, less if it was a private company like Veolia. If that were to happen, such a system would collapse on itself in about a decade or two, or every county would be responsible for their transportation needs.

It has nothing to do with being an express bus "lover". If a transportation service is being provided to a community, every effort should be kept to keep it. FYI, I have fought for far more local bus restorations than anything else, so there goes your "express bus lover" theory. I petitioned to have the B2 (weekend service), B4, B31 (overnight service), B64 all restored and have limited stop service added to the S53 and am now moving forward with the push for the restoration of the M104... All local buses... By contrast, the other express buses that I've officially petitioned for are the X16, X27, X28 and BM3.

Of those listed above VG8 i only disagree with the B31 having all night service. The buses (i seen it with my own eyes living in Brooklyn until 5 years ago)had zero riders VG8 on most trips. I agree running until 2am but that it. There are other routes i.e BX1, BX3, S59, S79 etc. that need overnight service more than the B31.

Of those listed above VG8 i only disagree with the B31 having all night service. The buses (i seen it with my own eyes living in Brooklyn until 5 years ago)had zero riders VG8 on most trips. I agree running until 2am but that it. There are other routes i.e BX1, BX3, S59, S79 etc. that need overnight service more than the B31.

I disagree... The entire trip takes about 12 mins on the B31 around that time and all that is needed is one or two buses tops.

I disagree... The entire trip takes about 12 mins on the B31 around that time and all that is needed is one or two buses tops.

VG8 you wasting monies ie. paying drivers and gas running a bus no one is using. Thus the B31. I thought you were for fiscally responsbile. Even B35 agrees that the B31 does not need all night service. Plus its only 2 hours it's not running.

Only agreement maybe could be run the B3 via Loop to serve Geristean Beach overnights only between 2-5am.

VG8 you wasting monies ie. paying drivers and gas running a bus no one is using. Thus the B31. I thought you were for fiscally responsbile. Even B35 agrees that the B31 does not need all night service. Plus its only 2 hours it's not running.

Only agreement maybe could be run the B3 via Loop to serve Geristean Gerritsen Beach overnights only between 2-5am.

Senator Golden and I both agree that having NO bus service run through Gerritsen Beach leaves residents completely isolated, which should not be. Running one or two buses is certainly feasible and does not break the bank. You have people that need bus service at night that may need to get work or just simply may be coming home late. Having no local bus service forces those people to have to pay for cab service if they don't have a car.

Senator Golden and I both agree that having NO bus service run through Gerritsen Beach leaves residents completely isolated, which should not be. Running one or two buses is certainly feasible and does not break the bank. You have people that need bus service at night that may need to get work or just simply may be coming home late. Having no local bus service forces those people to have to pay for cab service if they don't have a car.

To have B31 owl bus service that according to MTA own data had only around at most 40-50 riders between 2-5am? I agree with running it until 2am that it, There other bus routes in city i.e BX1, BX3, S79, maybe even the M5 and couple of others that would get double that ridership during overnights. Instead it be cheaper to pay a van service for those handful of B31 owl riders.

To have B31 owl bus service that according to MTA own data had only around at most 40-50 riders between 2-5am? I agree with running it until 2am that it, There other bus routes in city i.e BX1, BX3, S79, maybe even the M5 and couple of others that would get double that ridership during overnights. Instead it be cheaper to pay a van service for those handful of B31 owl riders.

A van service?? This is just a perfect example of more suburban communities getting the shaft... Most of the routes you've listed run through more urban communities... BTW, all of those routes should have night service, as the M5 does indeed carry well.

A van service?? This is just a perfect example of more suburban communities getting the shaft... Most of the routes you've listed run through more urban communities... BTW, all of those routes should have night service, as the M5 does indeed carry well.

Yeah I wonder why the M5 doesn't have night service. The only bus serving 6 Avenue is the M7 and the M2 on 5 Avenue. Also the only bus at south ferry is the M15.

Under your thinking VG8 should the BX34 riders in Woodlawn also have overnight service? For places like Gerristean Beach and Woodlawn(Kanotah Ave area) that has too low to run buses on their own late night, I like for the MTA to use what TTC in Toronto and Chicago's CTA does. They(TTC and CTA) extend some 24/7 bus routes to serve nearby neighborhoods that are too low in usage to have their regular full time routes run all night. Thus my reason for say for instance extend the B3 between 2-5am only to serve Gerristean. Understand now VG8.

It isn't a question of understanding but one of disagreement. Running one or two buses between Gerritsen Beach and the train station does not break the bank and the (MTA) knows this and this is why Senator Golden will continue to fight to get it restored overnight and I will continue to give my full support to his efforts.

It isn't a question of understanding but one of disagreement. Running one or two buses between Gerritsen Beach and the train station does not break the bank and the (MTA) knows this and this is why Senator Golden will continue to fight to get it restored overnight and I will continue to give my full support to his efforts.

If you been to Toronto or Chicago(there a world outside Italy and NY state VG8)you know what i am talking about. Unless the B3 is extended to Gerristean there no reason to waste $500,000 or more on the B31 and other lines that dont need all night service.

That monies is better used to have the M5, BX1, BX3, S79 and others run all night.

If you been to Toronto or Chicago(there a world outside Italy and NY state VG8)you know what i am talking about. Unless the B3 is extended to Gerristean there no reason to waste $500,000 or more on the B31 and other lines that dont need all night service.

That monies is better used to have the M5, BX1, BX3, S79 and others run all night.

$500,000 to run one bus overnight which takes 12 mins to get to and from Gerritsen Beach from Kings Hwy Station... Let's not exaggerate now... I have a problem stranding people and leaving communities without one local bus in their neighborhood, but apparently you don't. I mean if it was Co-Op which has tons of buses run around then I could understand but to go crazy over one or two buses tops serving an isolated neighborhood overnight with no other alternatives is quite selfish.

$500,000 to run one bus overnight which takes 12 mins to get to and from Gerritsen Beach from Kings Hwy Station... Let's not exaggerate now... I have a problem stranding people and leaving communities without one local bus in their neighborhood, but apparently you don't. I mean if it was Co-Op which has tons of buses run around then I could understand but to go crazy over one or two buses tops serving an isolated neighborhood overnight with no other alternatives is quite selfish.

Ok. I am selffish. I live in Poughkeepsie. The local buses do not run on Sundays/Holidays. Do i make a stink about it. No i use my car or a taxi to get to metro north. It's only 2-3 hours they have no bus service. And that case lets add your lovely riverdale. You said yourself your neighborhood does not need all night bus service. Yet the Bx10 has hourly service. Riverdale is much bigger populated than Gerriistean.

So sorry it would be nice every NYC neighborhood should have all night service. Sadly the funds are not there for all to have. And dont bring up COOP City, Most of Manhattan and other that have all night service. Those neighborhoods is where people do use the buses all night. The B31 on most trips overnights had zero riders. You a flip floper VG8. You speak for better use of monies. That the truth.

FYI. You friend Sen Golden never probably uses the buses he fights for. And he in Bay Ridge.

How in the world is the B39 service hours only between 7am-9pm 7 days a week? Maybe only Sundays it can have service end that early. During weekdays it should be running only at least 11pm.

Would you rather it not be restored at all?

Maybe the community groups, politicians, and unions should push for an all-or-nothing approach: either restore everything to June 2010 service levels, or don't restore anything. (All of us know how that would turn out.)

Would you rather it not be restored at all?

Maybe the community groups, politicians, and unions should push for an all-or-nothing approach: either restore everything to June 2010 service levels, or don't restore anything. (All of us know how that would turn out.)

Gotham if you been reading my posts i been calling for compromise throughout since some of the service cuts was restored this summer. The B39 had very descent ridership that warranted having service run until at least 11pm weekdays.

Ok. I am selffish. I live in Poughkeepsie. The local buses do not run on Sundays/Holidays. Do i make a stink about it. No i use my car or a taxi to get to metro north. It's only 2-3 hours they have no bus service. And that case lets add your lovely riverdale. You said yourself your neighborhood does not need all night bus service. Yet the Bx10 has hourly service. Riverdale is much bigger populated than Gerriistean.

So sorry it would be nice every NYC neighborhood should have all night service. Sadly the funds are not there for all to have. And dont bring up COOP City, Most of Manhattan and other that have all night service. Those neighborhoods is where people do use the buses all night. The B31 on most trips overnights had zero riders. You a flip floper VG8. You speak for better use of monies. That the truth.

FYI. You friend Sen Golden never probably uses the buses he fights for. And he in Bay Ridge.

Yes, but in my community, we have ONE local bus that serves the community which is the Bx10. Meanwhile Gerritsen Beach has nothing, which is not acceptable. You act like I'm advocating for service every 20 minutes overnight. I think ONE measly bus can serve the area overnight. Two at the most just in case one of them broke down and that's all that is needed. Like I said that does not break the bank at all. As for Senator Golden, he often boards the buses to let commuters know about what he is doing to improve bus service, waiting at numerous X27 and X28 stops with residents and boarding those buses to let folks know when service is restored, so you are wrong about your comments. His main office may be in Bay Ridge, but he works for ALL of the communities that he represents, hence why local buses like the B4 are being FULLY restored.

In fact he made the restoration announcements right over at Ulmer Park Depot which is certainly not in Bay Ridge. Senator Golden isn't just crying for more service. He is one of the representatives working to get the (MTA) more funding to make these restorations possible in the first place and he along with others like Assemblywoman Malliotakis deserve a lot of credit for finding ways to get the (MTA) $50 million dollars in funding during a difficult fiscal crisis to allow them to restore some of the lost routes.

P.S. You can't compare your transportation where you live at in the suburbs to transportation here in New York City.

All i can say VG8 just have to agree to disagree. I look at each bus line on a case-case basis on when people actually used the buses. If nobody is using that route late at night it should not run IMO.

In case of the B31 I already suggested my compromise idea if you read carefully VG8. That was to have the B3 loop into/out of Gerristean between 2-5am only. That when the B31 of course is not running. It similar to you and your buddy Marty Golden "compromise idea of having the X17 stop in Bay Ridge as alternative for X28 weekend service. My B3 overnight idea for B31 replacement was the same concept. That would be alot cheaper than running 1-2 buses on a B31 owl service that only gets a handful of people. That being my whole point.

All i can say VG8 just have to agree to disagree. I look at each bus line on a case-case basis on when people actually used the buses. If nobody is using that route late at night it should not run IMO.

In case of the B31 I already suggested my compromise idea if you read carefully VG8. That was to have the B3 loop into/out of Gerristean between 2-5am only. That when the B31 of course is not running. It similar to you and your buddy Marty Golden "compromise idea of having the X17 stop in Bay Ridge as alternative for X28 weekend service. My B3 overnight idea for B31 replacement was the same concept. That would be alot cheaper than running 1-2 buses on a B31 owl service that only gets a handful of people. That being my whole point.

The X28 is a temporary compromise simply because there wasn't enough funding to have it fully restored, but when more monies becomes available it will be restored.

The X28 is a temporary compromise simply because there wasn't enough funding to have it fully restored, but when more monies becomes available it will be restored.

Again on the X28 issue, if the X27 could run on both saturdays and sundays so should the X28. Since the X27 gets more ridership the X28 should have hourly service all weekends and run until say 10pm saturdays and 8pm sundays.

While i stated in past i felt the X27/28 should only run on saturday hey if Sen Golden has the monies to run it also on sundays and not take away from other lines, than more power to him.

Gotham if you been reading my posts i been calling for compromise throughout since some of the service cuts was restored this summer.

Yes, but some folks aren't in the mood for compromise.

I'm actually shocked that nobody has publicly rejected the "service investments" on the grounds that they don't represent a full restoration of the 2010 cuts.

Does the MTA fully run MTAB because there seems like there could of been lots of cuts and combining that could of taken place. I see routes like the Q67, Q102 and Q103 running and only have 4 or 5 ppl on the bus. I would have cut weekend service on the Q67 and Q102 and Q103 just eliminate the thing. I looked at the Average ridership for the Q103 and it second to last to the old Q89.

Archived