Why do some N trains start at 86st in the morning rush?

j express

It's simpler for them to just pull out of the yard and go into service there. To go to Stillwell, they have to go out the other way into the terminal, and then likely wait for trains already there. It's a way to add the extra traffic needed for the rush hour without crowding the terminal, and reversing direction.

Again, it's probably not even a longer wait. If you're at Stillwell, there's probably two trains in the station, that will leave at whatever the normal interval is, and the one pulling in from the yard is just an extra, you can think of it as, that does not have to wait to get into the terminal.

I have to wait 15~20 minutes for the next train during these put-ins.

FIFTEEN to TWENTY MINUTES!? Pssst! They don't do put-ins on the Midnight tour.

Blue Book (2011), Page 17; "When someone is delayed... that person's perception of time is probably changed: 3 minutes probably feels like 5, and 6 minutes may feel like 12."

Actually he's half right, there are 15-20 minute gaps early in the morning... These are the times from Stillwell during the AM rush: (FYI: <N> represents short-turns that run express in Manhattan)

618,634,641<N>,657

711,718,731,737<N>,749<N>,755

807<N>,813,820,828<N>,836,845,853

After 9am, every 10 minutes.

Paul Rivera is right as there has been a 20 minute interval between the 5:19 AM and the 5:39 AM N line trains for many years.Before I retired two years ago, if I missed the 5:19 (5:24 at Avenue U), I would have the wait the full 20 minutes for the next train. The only time that there was a shorter headway when a Q train that was being rerouted (when the Brighton Line had problems) and made all the stops on the N Line. The first train from 86th Street follows the 5:39 AM about 10 minutes later.

For the record, there has been put ins from 86th Street for over 50 years as I remember the Standards and the Triplexes coming from the yard in the AM rush hour and beginning service there.

For the record, there has been put ins from 86th Street for over 50 years as I remember the Standards and the Triplexes coming from the yard in the AM rush hour and beginning service there.

I always wondered what going uptown on a BMT Standard would be like as it was going on 4th Avenue when it was going over the bridge to Broadway or the Nassau St Loop.

Archived