Petition for Metro-North New Haven Line stop in Western Queens

Bounad Hanhic

As you all might know, Metro-North is looking into running New Haven Line trains to Penn Station and the route that it would take to and from Penn Station includes it running on the Amtrak tracks in the Bronx, over the Hellgate Bridge, and right here in Astoria. Metro-North is proposing four new stations in the Bronx, but not one in Queens. What do you guys think about having a Metro-North station in Astoria as well. There would be fast access to Penn Station and improved access to the Bronx, Westchester, and Connecticut.

For those interested in signing the petition, the link is below

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/petition-to-get-a-metro-north-new-haven-line-station-in/signatures.html

I agree. Amtrak train track cross over Astoria Blvd (N)(Q), but not sure if NIMBYs might not be happy.

If NIMBY didn't complaint, MTA and Amtrak could work together to built MNRR/Amtrak Station at Astoria Blvd (N)(Q) Station.

During this time, (N) terminate at Queensboro Plaza on Manhattan-bound platform, (Q) at 57th St-7th Av terminal.

Frequent (R) service and overnight (R) service operates to assist (N)(Q) riders in Broadway and Queens Blvd.

Between Queensboro Plaza and Ditmars Blvd, shuttle bus will be provided by both MTA and Amtrak.

Cross Honoring will be offer on B62, Q32, Q39, Q60, Q67, Q69, Q100, Q101, Q102, Q103 and Q104 bus.

Some of these buses will have additional and extra service.

Speaking off NIMBY, does Bronx-ite near MNRR/Amtrak complaint about MNRR/Amtrak noise?

I could change my mind but not sure if Astoria really needs a MNRR station. Right now subject to further proof I say "NO" to an Astoria station. They already only about a 20-30 minute subway ride to Grand Central or the M60 bus to 125th Street for all '3' MNRR lines. I thought the main purpose of adding couple of MNRR stops in Northeast Bronx i.e COOP City, etc. was to provide faster access to Westchester County and Fairfield County, CT. And also for a few riders, "express" access to Manhattan's West Side? I know some of you guys may strongly disagree but adding all these stops can turn this into an long trip for those using the New Haven Local from Stamford or even New Haven.

If these riders want NW Queens MNRR access, why not transfer to either the M60 at 125th or the subway at GCT?

I thought, this project is to help the Bronx primarily and not turn this into a subway.

As you all might know, Metro-North is looking into running New Haven Line trains to Penn Station and the route that it would take to and from Penn Station includes it running on the Amtrak tracks in the Bronx, over the Hellgate Bridge, and right here in Astoria. Metro-North is proposing four new stations in the Bronx, but not one in Queens. What do you guys think about having a Metro-North station in Astoria as well. There would be fast access to Penn Station and improved access to the Bronx, Westchester, and Connecticut.

For those interested in signing the petition, the link is below

http://www.gopetitio...signatures.html

Not needed unless the triborough is reactivated then that station would become useful. Otherwise what shortline said. M60 or express bus to M60 not that hard. However I did observe a number of people going from MNRR all lines to M60.

I could change my mind but right now, not sure if Astoria really needs a MNRR station. Right now subject to further proof I say "NO" to an Astoria station. They already only about a 20-30 minute subway to Grand Central or the M60 bus to 125th Street for all '3' MNRR lines. I thought the main purpose of adding couple of MNRR stops in Northeast Bronx i.e COOP City, etc. was to provide faster access to Westchester County and Fairfield County, CT. And also for a few riders "express" access to Manhattan's West Side. I know some of you guys may strongly disagree but adding all these stops can turn this into an long trip for those using the New Haven Local from Stamford or even New Haven.

If these riders want NW Queens why not transfer to either the M60 at 125th or the subway at GCT?

This project is to help the Bronx primarily and not turn this into a subway.

True best way to put it I hate extra stops.

I agree. Amtrak train track cross over Astoria Blvd (N)(Q), but not sure if NIMBYs might not be happy.

If NIMBY didn't complaint, MTA and Amtrak could work together to built MNRR/Amtrak Station at Astoria Blvd (N)(Q) Station.

During this time, (N) terminate at Queensboro Plaza on Manhattan-bound platform, (Q) at 57th St-7th Av terminal.

Frequent (R) service and overnight (R) service operates to assist (N)(Q) riders in Broadway and Queens Blvd.

Between Queensboro Plaza and Ditmars Blvd, shuttle bus will be provided by both MTA and Amtrak.

Cross Honoring will be offer on B62, Q32, Q39, Q60, Q67, Q69, Q100, Q101, Q102, Q103 and Q104 bus.

Some of these buses will have additional and extra service.

Speaking off NIMBY, does Bronx-ite near MNRR/Amtrak complaint about MNRR/Amtrak noise?

You really can't be serious this is not practical. You will piss subway riders off with this bussing crap why do you think Q102 is shunned. Cause people want the (Q) & (N)

Would it be feasible to have a scoot or something similar making local stops? For example, the actual trains to Stamford would only stop at Co-Op and maybe Parkchester while the scoot trains would run from Penn to New Rochelle making every stop (e.g. Sunnyside, Hunts Point, Parkchester, Morris Park, and Co-Op City)

And at New Rochelle, people can transfer between scoots and trains to Stamford.

I honestly don't think the area around Ditmars is in dire need of a commuter rail service like the MNRR. You have the (N)(Q) and the Q69 for that. And might I add that the MNRR would be limited to serving just Penn, while the subway has the "flexibility" of serving Times Square, NYU, and downtown Manhattan (if you transfer to the (R) ). Now, if it were the Triboro RX, then I'd say perhaps, but it's highly unlikely.

I honestly don't think the area around Ditmars is in dire need of a commuter rail service like the MNRR. You have the (N)(Q) and the Q69 for that. And might I add that the MNRR would be limited to serving just Penn, while the subway has the "flexibility" of serving Times Square, NYU, and downtown Manhattan (if you transfer to the (R) ). Now, if it were the Triboro RX, then I'd say perhaps, but it's highly unlikely.

The only thing that would benefit here is for those getting a ride to/from Points north on the Corridor. Those heading south, doubt. But it also depends on the amount of riders who would use this station anyway.

Don't be surprised if the Triboro RX gains traction this may be the catalyst for the RX Triboro to gain commuter rail service which if frequent stands to take tons of cars off the belt as the belt is out of the way of everything while the Triboro is in the heart of everything

Don't be surprised if the Triboro RX gains traction this may be the catalyst for the RX Triboro to gain commuter rail service which if frequent stands to take tons of cars off the belt as the belt is out of the way of everything while the Triboro is in the heart of everything

What's with the Triboro RX foam? IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN

edit, lemme bold that

I could change my mind but not sure if Astoria really needs a MNRR station. Right now subject to further proof I say "NO" to an Astoria station. They already only about a 20-30 minute subway ride to Grand Central or the M60 bus to 125th Street for all '3' MNRR lines. I thought the main purpose of adding couple of MNRR stops in Northeast Bronx i.e COOP City, etc. was to provide faster access to Westchester County and Fairfield County, CT. And also for a few riders, "express" access to Manhattan's West Side? I know some of you guys may strongly disagree but adding all these stops can turn this into an long trip for those using the New Haven Local from Stamford or even New Haven.

If these riders want NW Queens why not transfer to either the M60 at 125th or the subway at GCT?

I thought, this project is to help the Bronx primarily and not turn this into a subway.

I don't see how the justification to put commuter rail stations in these areas with low income housing is that strong. I think its a pretty hard sell to convince them to pay a commuter rail premium in addition to a normal subway fare to get minimal time savings. People in jamaica don't take the lirr to manhattan just so that they can pay 9.25 + another 2.25 if their destination is not within penn station's walking radius.

I don't see how the justification to put commuter rail stations in these areas with low income housing is that strong. I think its a pretty hard sell to convince them to pay a commuter rail premium in addition to a normal subway fare to get minimal time savings. People in jamaica don't take the lirr to manhattan just so that they can pay 9.25 + another 2.25 if their destination is not within penn station's walking radius.

Kentsfield if u been paying attention this project is mainly for Bronx residents in areas such as COOp City who are going to Westchester and Fairfield Counties not Midtown Manhattan. That I do support.

while I'm all for expanind our system, this is just over doing it.

Unless you spent time and money re alinging the tracks and power supplies, you would need to hang the Penn station bould platform off the side of the bridge. a station on the bridge would take up space for potental capacity expansion, if they ever felt the need to expand the bridge back to 4 tracks

best to leave the bridge as it is.

like someone said on Subchat, Sunnyside Station.

It's not really a stretch to believe that people at some of the Bronx stops would pay for rail service to Manahttan. Look at Co-Op City, the BxM7 express bus there gets very high ridership (because your other choices to get to Manhattan are just so bad) so people are willing to pay more. Aside from the express bus, to get to the West Side you either have to take to the the bus to the (6) to the (E), the bus to the slow (2), or the bus a good 30-40 mins to the (D).

And Parkchester, for example, the proposed stop lies right between two express buses (the BxM6 and the BxM10); the potential riderbase is there.

This is why I thought about the idea of a scoot to New Rochelle might not be so bad. Perhaps make it a little cheaper, and you have a service for city-bound riders that could get decent ridership. That why Stamford trains wouldn't have to be invaded and slowed down by city bound riders (which the rhetoric seems to be)

Jamaica's a really poor comparison to make anyway because it has three (four including the (Z)) that manage to serve a few hotspot areas over Manhattan, so of course not many people would get on the LIRR there.

Co-Op City and Morris Park have no such subway lines. Hunts Points does and Parkchester kinda does but getting to the West Side is stuff awfully inconvenient. Admittedly Hunts Points might not draw in as many people and could become another Tremont or Melrose but I think service should be relatively cheap and not too infrequent. I mean, nobody's gonna use Melrose and Tremont with current fares and off-peak service every 2 hours. The MTA might as well be inviting people not to use those stations.

A Sunnyside stop I guess isn't that much of a necessity with the good subway service in the area and being close to GCT but the idea of antoher Queens-Bronx link isn't really a bad one, in my opinion.

It can be easier to do after danbury service is enhanced then you can have new canaan trains or danbury trains serve east bronx stations let the east bronx stations have turnstiles so those not going to CT or westchester can pay metrocard fare I do agree however that these are the only bronx stations that this makes sense with. As the other MNRR stations duplicate the subway these east ones not so much.

Really,

1: The fact that you said it may.

2: Labeling it RX makes it obvious.

3: Really, this stop won't be built. Saying something MAY happen just makes it foam.

True but this may make it easier to make a case for the triboro to gain passenger service just look at the connecting lines then look at LIC who knows I would not say it will never happen cause clearly the conditions can change

It can be easier to do after danbury service is enhanced then you can have new canaan trains or danbury trains serve east bronx stations let the east bronx stations have turnstiles so those not going to CT or westchester can pay metrocard fare I do agree however that these are the only bronx stations that this makes sense with. As the other MNRR stations duplicate the subway these east ones not so much.

Do you wan't the (MTA) to lose money... What plan is this?

Archived