Port Authority: We’ve Reformed. Critics: Really?

KeystoneRegional

WNYC (via Transportation Nation) - "(New York, NY — WNYC) Two consulting firms hired to conduct an independent review of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey have concluded that the bi-state agency has experienced major improvement in how it is operating — but still must find additional ways to raise revenue to pay for the region’s aging transportation infrastructure.

Last year, in the midst of a public outcry over toll and fare hikes at the agency’s bridges and tunnels, Navigant Consulting and Rothschild Inc were retained to take a detailed look at the Port Authority. The consultants reported that under the agency’s watch the redevelopment costs for the World Trade Center had ballooned from $11 billion to $14.8 billion.

The initial outside review described a dysfunctional bureaucracy with a debt load that had more than doubled — from $9 billion to $21 billion in just ten years — while boosting the compensation pay for its employees by 19 percent over the same period.

Now, just seven months later, Port Authority chairman David Samson says a multi-faceted push to reform the agency has paid off with glowing reviews from the same consultants for the management team put in place by New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and New York Governor Andrew Cuomo."

Source Link /// Read More: http://transportatio...-arent-so-sure/

• 2 weeks later...

Time do look at Air Rights over PANYNJ property and more Ad and renting/leasing out more space on PANYNJ properties to go along with the increase in tolls, fares and current fees/leases.

Air Rights are for anything other than Airports, you can't sell Air Rights in Airport areas and I believe PANYNJ should seek more ads instead of pulling the money out of our pockets, but I'd accept any fares under $3.50, no more or I'll select car as my transit option.

Air Rights are for anything other than Airports, you can't sell Air Rights in Airport areas and I believe PANYNJ should seek more ads instead of pulling the money out of our pockets, but I'd accept any fares under $3.50, no more or I'll select car as my transit option.

There is large amount of Air Rights space that can be sold near Journal Square!

There is great need for expanded bus parking near the Port Authority Bus Terminal. The Authority owns a lot of land around the Lincoln Tunnel approaches that they could build over. Instead of making it easier for their terminal tenants over the years, they have made it harder.

For example....the lower level of the South Wing used to have 41 gates, not including the ones along the south wall used by the minibuses. Now they are down to 34. Where there were a couple of extra parking gates where 36 and 38 used to be, now they have taken that away to build an electrical switching station of some kind. And where there used to be a Post and Coach restaurant with a sit-down lunch counter, there is now the never used, central holding jail, that they wasted millions of dollars constructing and then reconstructing when it was determined it wasn't up to code. That space is now used to house various contractors working on projects in the terminal now and then. What a scandal that is.....

I am sorry that the City renewed the PA's contract to operate JFK and LGA airports. It would have taught that arrogant agency a good lesson if the City had gone through with its plan to award private operator (Schiphol?) the contract.....

There is great need for expanded bus parking near the Port Authority Bus Terminal. The Authority owns a lot of land around the Lincoln Tunnel approaches that they could build over. Instead of making it easier for their terminal tenants over the years, they have made it harder.

For example....the lower level of the South Wing used to have 41 gates, not including the ones along the south wall used by the minibuses. Now they are down to 34. Where there were a couple of extra parking gates where 36 and 38 used to be, now they have taken that away to build an electrical switching station of some kind. And where there used to be a Post and Coach restaurant with a sit-down lunch counter, there is now the never used, central holding jail, that they wasted millions of dollars constructing and then reconstructing when it was determined it wasn't up to code. That space is now used to house various contractors working on projects in the terminal now and then. What a scandal that is.....

I am sorry that the City renewed the PA's contract to operate JFK and LGA airports. It would have taught that arrogant agency a good lesson if the City had gone through with its plan to award private operator (Schiphol?) the contract.....

I agree NYC should have at least put the contracts out to bids to see what they can get. Could have saved the city of NYC some money!

Archived