New X17 expanded weekend service

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to try this out in the next few weeks or so.... I want to see approximately how many Brooklynites are really gonna resort to taking the x17 to (most likely) some local bus.... Either that, or a few more ppl. driving to the stop jockeying for parking spots in that immediate area where the route would pickup/dropoff.... It's enough that SI'ers do that on the x27/x37 on the weekdays as it is (drive out to brooklyn & park along shore rd. to catch one of those routes)....

I'm going to try this out in the next few weeks or so.... I want to see approximately how many Brooklynites are really gonna resort to taking the x17 to (most likely) some local bus.... Either that, or a few more ppl. driving to the stop jockeying for parking spots in that immediate area where the route would pickup/dropoff.... It's enough that SI'ers do that on the x27/x37 on the weekdays as it is (drive out to brooklyn & park along shore rd. to catch one of those routes)....

I'm still not understanding why SIers do this? Is it for the emptier seats or what because they have to pay the toll to do that...

As for the X28 riders, most will likely drive over to the X17.

---

If all goes well I will be on one of the first X27s out of Bay Ridge to celebrate getting our express bus service back as we so rightfully should have it, along with other routes as they are restored. This is a great thing for Southern Brooklyn which was especially hit hard by the 2010 cuts and left isolated and suffering as a lack of bus service to various neighborhoods.

I'm still not understanding why SIers do this? Is it for the emptier seats or what because they have to pay the toll to do that...

Yeah, they're paying double (and then some) if they aint got an ez pass..... 11.00 total both ways on the bus + 13.00 to get back to SI.... I think there's a bit of a discount for SI residents w/ ez pass travelling over the VZ, but I don't know how much it is....

Guess there's someone on SILive that does that for a commute, let that person tell it....

I don't see the benefit either, but whatever.

Yeah, they're paying double (and then some) if they aint got an ez pass..... 11.00 total both ways on the bus + 13.00 to get back to SI.... I think there's a bit of a discount for SI residents w/ ez pass travelling over the VZ, but I don't know how much it is....

Guess there's someone on SILive that does that for a commute, let that person tell it....

The discount is pretty decent at $5.76 with the EZPass, but still. The only things that I can think of are safety issues, parking and getting seats on the express bus. When I considered getting a car on Staten Island, my main concern was parking somewhere where I had an express bus that ran late and also where parking was available and it was safe, as folks on Staten Island can be a-holes banging into your car and such, so I could see why they would park there, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra expense. That's why I just opted for car service because even with the car, like I said if I parked somewhere where I actually felt okay parking my car, then there was the risk of having no express bus near to where I parked as some express bus lines are better than others in terms of the ghetto factors (i.e. X10) and there is no way in hell that I would park my car over by Fingerboard Rd or Targee St or those places.

Staten Islanders can be pretty territorial with the parking thing and they will damage your car if you park your car in "their space" so to speak or they'll try other tactics like blocking you in and such, so parking the car can be a very complex and aggravating event that I wanted no part of.

The X27 schedule and X17 schedules are already up...

http://mta.info/nyct...ess/x027cur.pdf

http://mta.info/nyct...ess/x017cur.pdf

I have to say some of these frequencies aren't the greatest and the service on both lines should run a bit longer to Staten Island and Bay Ridge respectively, but we'll see how the ridership goes. I expect the X17 especially to need more than hourly service on Sundays.

Also, the B2 will be back on weekends starting on September 30th... Here is the new weekend schedule...

http://mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b002cur.pdf

It's actually a pretty decent discount. It's $5.76 for SI residents, so that's $16.76 total, round-trip. I mean, it's cheaper then what some people pay for Metro-North or LIRR service.

I can't see the logic either, but like you said, whatever.....

x17 Sunday hourly service will NOT be enough once word gets out...especially not with the Bay Ridge stop.

x27 half hourly weekend service won't last long.

I'm serious... What they aren't realizing is Bus Time is actually attracting more people to the bus... I see more and more folks on Staten Island using their phones to track the buses and I did that last Saturday when I was out there. Saw that I had just missed an X10, so I went and relaxed and had a coffee with some buñuelos until the next one was due. The X10s had their frequencies increased to 20 minutes and they're still packed so they're going to have to add more service at some point. The X10 would've had more ridership sooner had the B/Os not be screwing around and coming whenever but now with Bus Time they're forced to come on time and a reliable, frequent bus usually attracts more ridership.

I got the 20:00 X10 coming back from Staten Island at it was packed... Had there been more folks at the last few stops it would've easily been SRO going to the city.

It will be interesting to see what the frequencies will be when the X1 gets 24/7 service starting next year.

The X27 schedule and X17 schedules are already up...

http://mta.info/nyct...ess/x027cur.pdf

http://mta.info/nyct...ess/x017cur.pdf

I have to say some of these frequencies aren't the greatest and the service on both lines should run a bit longer to Staten Island and Bay Ridge respectively, but we'll see how the ridership goes. I expect the X17 especially to need more than hourly service on Sundays.

Also, the B2 will be back on weekends starting on September 30th... Here is the new weekend schedule...

http://mta.info/nyct...kln/b002cur.pdf

I agree with you VG8 about the X17. The last X17 bus should be leaving on Saturdays at least 10pm. However onX27 it actually a slight service increase (pre June '10 last X27/28 on Saturdays i remember right was around 9pm)leaving Midtown at 10pm. If succesful it could be expanded and thus have the X28 return by late in 2013 or in 2014.

I agree with you VG8 about the X17. The last X17 bus should be leaving on Saturdays at least 10pm. However onX27 it actually a slight service increase (pre June '10 last X27/28 on Saturdays i remember right was around 9pm)leaving Midtown at 10pm. If succesful it could be expanded and thus have the X28 return by late in 2013 or in 2014.

What do you mean the X27 had a slight increase? The span is exactly the same as it was before June, but at reduced frequencies.

You'll see me on the x17 on Sunday mornings (not the first weekend though - i'll be on the West Coast!)!!!!

Finally though, no more one mile walks to Eltingville Transit Center. :)

Lol. Then whats going on with the X17 of the BBT is closed. Does that mean it goes to Downtown and then go back up to the Manhattan Bridge.

SI express buses run via NJ when the BBT or Verrazano is closed (Holland).

Don't know what the Brooklyn buses do...

Ok checkmate i was incorrect. If you read thread i say if memory serves me right. Lets leave it there. geez

Geez, what's up with acting like I'm attacking you? You say "let's leave it there" like I was going to harp on it or something.

In any case, I saw the location of the bus stops if anybody was wondering. The northbound one is at Dalghren Place & 86th Street (nearside), while the southbound one is at Gatling Place & 86th Street (farside).

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend I took two quick trips into Manhattan via the adjusted x17:

Saturday, Inbound To New York (Manhattan) Early Afternoon:

Number of Passengers: 10-15

Comments: Bus operator exited 278 at 92nd street, peered at the bus stop at 86th Street & Dahlgren Place, apparently didn't observe any passengers and proceeded back onto the highway.

Saturday Outbound to Staten Island Evening:

Number of Passengers: 20+

Comments: Bus operator announced Bay Ridge, no-one rang the bell, B/O remained on highway to Staten Island.

----

Sunday, Inbound to Manhattan, Afternoon:

Number of Passengers: 15-20

Comments: 3 Passengers boarded in Staten Island and were dropped off in Brooklyn.

Sunday, Outbound to Staten Island, Early Evening:

Number of Passengers: 15-20

Comments: Bus Operator exited highway in Brooklyn, but no passenger boardings/discharged.

Here an idea. On SI-Bound X17 buses how about just making Bay Ridge(86th St Dahlgren Place/BQE service road) a "Stop Request Only" stop. If no tells the driver in Manhattan or rings the bell on the BQE, it bypasses the 86th St./Bay Ridge stop.

X17 Leaving SI for Manhattan would stop at 86th/Bay Ridge on all trips. Reactions?

Here an idea. On SI-Bound X17 buses how about just making Bay Ridge(86th St Dahlgren Place/BQE service road) a "Stop Request Only" stop. If no tells the driver in Manhattan or rings the bell on the BQE, it bypasses the 86th St./Bay Ridge stop.

X17 Leaving SI for Manhattan would stop at 86th/Bay Ridge on all trips. Reactions?

lol... I'm sure they already do that now. It's just unofficial. Similar to what is done on the BM express buses. Most B/Os out of Spring Creek will ask if we're going to Midtown or Downtown and we just bypass Downtown entirely if noone wants Downtown and take the FDR up to 23rd st.

I was on it earlier today and people actually got on in Bay Ridge going to SI. Also, I don't know if the farebox beeped, so the person might have paid $2.25 only (they paid in coins) thinking it was a local bus or something.

Uh no... They paid the full fare. I myself have done it. It's something we express bus riders do. It's been done on various express bus lines too. They probably just don't want to take the local bus, plus the express bus leaves them in a more convenient location so they take it. I've done it in the city and on Staten Island. The B/O usually doesn't say anything, but if he gives me a face I just give him a f-you look right back. I actually saw a guy take the Hudson Rail Link bus as a "local bus". He got on around Independence Ave and took it down to Kappock and got off.

Archived