New X17 expanded weekend service

Via Garibaldi 8

Here an idea. On SI-Bound X17 buses how about just making Bay Ridge(86th St Dahlgren Place/BQE service road) a "Stop Request Only" stop. If no tells the driver in Manhattan or rings the bell on the BQE, it bypasses the 86th St./Bay Ridge stop.

X17 Leaving SI for Manhattan would stop at 86th/Bay Ridge on all trips. Reactions?

I haven't seen the bus stop sign to know if the stop says Drop Off only, or if it is says Arden Heights as the signs in Manhattan do. Can anyone confirm?

Personally, I think it should stop at all times on the weekends, it only takes an additional 2 minutes maximum (and I am the guy who is getting off near the last stop!) if that, as we caught up with an x1 at the VNB toll plaza; plus it would be beneficial for me should I get a hankering for L&B Spumoni Gardens :

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen the bus stop sign to know if the stop says Drop Off only, or if it is says Arden Heights as the signs in Manhattan do. Can anyone confirm?

Personally, I think it should stop at all times on the weekends, it only takes an additional 2 minutes maximum (and I am the guy who is getting off near the last stop!) if that, as we caught up with an x1 at the VNB toll plaza; plus it would be beneficial for me should I get a hankering for L&B Spumoni Gardens :

lol... I was thinking of this when the X17 was first proposed... This way you could avoid the local bus in Bay Ridge and just go directly to Staten Island. Don't plan on it happening though. Folks would make a stink. I don't want outsiders getting on slowing us down so let it remain Drop-off only. You can get around taking the local bus by simply taking the X17 into the city at the first stop and catching it back to Bay Ridge.

Why are people from Brooklyn going to SI on an express bus? That may be the first express bus to have pick-ups to another borough not being Manhattan

Because Bay Ridge and Staten Island are pretty well linked and the folks taking the express bus don't want to ride the local bus.

I have done something similar albeit totally legit... Take the BxM1 to Midtown, stop off for food or whatever and then transfer to the BM3 to Sheepshead Bay, all without having to use the local bus and vice versa. In fact I try to plan some trips that way on purpose this way I can just use the express bus. You don't have to deal with all of the crowds and such and annoying folks.

According to the GTFS the Bay Ridge stop is for Manhattan passengers only....

That's correct... That's how it is officially, but what happens unofficially is another story. I will let it slide sometimes, but Drop-off only means just that. There was a B/O who let a passenger off the other day well before where the official drop-off stop starts and I reported him. Now there was a former X16 rider who would try to get X30s to stop for her so that she could get dropped off like the old X16 (albeit it in the reverse direction). She worked Downtown so she would get the X14 Downtown and then take that to Forest and try to get an X30 to stop for her so that she didn't have to take the S48. Some would stop for her and some wouldn't. I would get a little annoyed but never reported it since I knew she was a regular and why she was doing it. In the morning she would take the X30 over to the X14 which was fine since you can transfer between express buses not doing Drop-off only segments of the route.

Here an idea. On SI-Bound X17 buses how about just making Bay Ridge(86th St Dahlgren Place/BQE service road) a "Stop Request Only" stop. If no tells the driver in Manhattan or rings the bell on the BQE, it bypasses the 86th St./Bay Ridge stop.

X17 Leaving SI for Manhattan would stop at 86th/Bay Ridge on all trips. Reactions?

If it's drop-off only then that's technically how it should be done. However, the issue is that this new stop is very convenient for those wishing to travel between SI & Brooklyn, and while it technically isn't the purpose of the express bus, if it helps make the trip significantly easier, I don't see the harm in accomodating those riders. To get from Richmond & Lamberts to 86th & Dahlgren takes less than 20 minutes on the X17 (I can't open PDF files so I can't check the schedule), whereas it takes close to an hour on the local buses. If you have buses bypassing that stop, it inconveniences those who might be waiting there.

If it really becomes an issue as far as slowing down the buses goes (which I don't see it, since it's only one stop and there generally isn't a lot of traffic in that area), you could have some buses officially bypass the Brooklyn stop (the way some BxM1 buses officially bypass Inwood)

I'm 99% sure it says Drop-Off Only.

You can get around taking the local bus by simply taking the X17 into the city at the first stop and catching it back to Bay Ridge.

ahhhhhhh.gif

So paying two fares, transferring on 30-60 minute headways, and doubling back, just to avoid the local bus? I wish I had a bigger facepalm.

But then again, this is the same guy who actually considers the X1 to the X27 as a viable alternative to the S79. Thankfully, the guy didn't listen to him and just took the S79.

Because Bay Ridge and Staten Island are pretty well linked and the folks taking the express bus don't want to ride the local bus.

Stop acting like express & local bus riders are two completely seperate classes of people. There are plenty of people who take the express bus because the local bus isn't a viable alternative. It isn't to avoid "riff-raff" (and I know you haven't mentioned it in this post, but the undertone is there).

I have done something similar albeit totally legit... Take the BxM1 to Midtown, stop off for food or whatever and then transfer to the BM3 to Sheepshead Bay, all without having to use the local bus and vice versa. In fact I try to plan some trips that way on purpose this way I can just use the express bus. You don't have to deal with all of the crowds and such and annoying folks.

You're not backtracking in that case.

So paying two fares, transferring on 30-60 minute headways, and doubling back, just to avoid the local bus? I wish I had a bigger facepalm.

What is viable for one person isn't for another. To each their own. I have never doubled back anywhere so I wouldn't know, but I've saw others do it.

But then again, this is the same guy who actually considers the X1 to the X27 as a viable alternative to the S79. Thankfully, the guy didn't listen to him and just took the S79.

Didn't listen to who??

Stop acting like express & local bus riders are two completely seperate classes of people. There are plenty of people who take the express bus because the local bus isn't a viable alternative. It isn't to avoid "riff-raff" (and I know you haven't mentioned it in this post, but the undertone is there).

Nobody is acting like anything. All I stated was what some people do. Nothing more, nothing less.

You're not backtracking in that case.

Yes I know that so no point in stating the obvious. I know what I said and what I did. Thank you.

What is viable for one person isn't for another. To each their own. I have never doubled back anywhere so I wouldn't know, but I've saw others do it.

Taking the X10-S61/62-S53 instead of transferring directly to the S53 isn't backtracking?

Didn't listen to who??

Somebody asked what's the best way to get from Eltingville to Bay Ridge. You said the S79, but acted like it was so bad that he would have to "deal with the local bus" and suggested the X1 to the X27. He didn't listen to the X1-X27 suggestion and instead took the faster, more convenient way, which was the S79.

Nobody is acting like anything. All I stated was what some people do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Like I said, the undertone is there.

Yes I know that so no point in stating the obvious. I know what I said and what I did. Thank you.

There's no point in mentioning it because it's completely irrelevant.

You just compleatly ignored what orion said. People actually use that stop. I know it slows it down by 4 mins but a price to pay.

Why are people from Brooklyn going to SI on an express bus? That may be the first express bus to have pick-ups to another borough not being Manhattan

cause it is currently the fastest way to richmond ave the S53 is so slow 20 mins later you still aren't close S79 err what if you want the northern side of richmond ave?

cause it is currently the fastest way to richmond rd the S53 is so slow 20 mins later you still aren't close S79 err what if you want the northern side of richmond rd?

I assume you mean Richmond Avenue, but otherwise, that's correct.

I wish Google Transit was updated so I could see the exact travel time between 86th Street & Lamberts Lane. This is already the second weekend that the service has been running.

Taking the X10-S61/62-S53 instead of transferring directly to the S53 isn't backtracking?

Do you know every part of my commute?? I'll leave it at that.

Somebody asked what's the best way to get from Eltingville to Bay Ridge. You said the S79, but acted like it was so bad that he would have to "deal with the local bus" and suggested the X1 to the X27. He didn't listen to the X1-X27 suggestion and instead took the faster, more convenient way, which was the S79.

I assume you're referring to that crankyjoe guy? If so that guy has been posting on that site since I don't know when. Like I said plenty of people commute using what would be considered inconvenient ways. B35 mentioned how some SIers go to Bay Ridge for express bus service and that one still puzzles me so unless you're sure of what you're talking about you should really refrain from making false accusations.

Like I said, the undertone is there.

The only undertone there is the one you're creating. I spoke about a few people who prefer using the express bus instead of the local bus and you come up with that. The people I spoke of, in one case the lady backtracks and whatever her reason is is her business. You don't know why she backtracks so just stop with this undertone nonsense.

There's no point in mentioning it because it's completely irrelevant.

It's irrelevant to you and it should be because I wasn't talking to you.

I haven't seen the bus stop sign to know if the stop says Drop Off only, or if it is says Arden Heights as the signs in Manhattan do. Can anyone confirm:

Okay heres how it goes,from Fort Hamilton HS I took the b16 to the b63(I missed the 63 special).There was 9 minutes until the next b63, so I walked to Gatling and back.the sign says ARDEN HEIGHTS but does not display a schedule box.

On the weekends, much of where the X17 serves is not served by any local route. To me, all weekend X17 buses should have to make the exit, but it would be a flag stop (on request to the operator or passengers on sight).

Do you know every part of my commute?? I'll leave it at that.

You've mentioned it in the past several times how you took that route.

I assume you're referring to that crankyjoe guy? If so that guy has been posting on that site since I don't know when. Like I said plenty of people commute using what would be considered inconvenient ways. B35 mentioned how some SIers go to Bay Ridge for express bus service and that one still puzzles me so unless you're sure of what you're talking about you should really refrain from making false accusations.

First of all, you've told me it was you in a PM, and that guy's attitude, speech patterns, etc are exactly the same as yours, so you're not fooling anybody. You can deny it all you want, but I distinctly remember you telling me you were crankyjoe.

As far as going to Bay Ridge for express service, while I wouldn't do it, it is understandable. You're getting on at the beginning of the route, which means you're getting a seat, and the X27 seems to be fairly consistant from what I've seen. Back a few years ago, there were times when I would wait along Broadway in Manhattan and I would usually see X27s & X28s coming before X10s & X17s. Back then, the service levels on the SI routes weren't as high as they were today, but the point is that it's not too far-fetched of an alternative.

Aside from that, you're not backtracking like you are in this case, and the backtrack doesn't involve transferring on high headways. (And you're not paying as much either, because the SI discount at the bridge is $5.76, which covers both directions)

You said "I don't want outsiders getting on slowing us down so let it remain Drop-off only. You can get around taking the local bus by simply taking the X17 into the city at the first stop and catching it back to Bay Ridge." (And this is part of the undertone I'm mentioning, talking about "outsiders")

You're saying how it's so "simple" to just backtrack through Manhattan. Yeah, it's possible, but it's not "simple". You're adding a good 40 minutes to your travel time plus the amount of time it takes to transfer. That's simple to you? And you're paying an extra fare to boot.

It's irrelevant to you and it should be because I wasn't talking to you.

Nope, it's irrelevant to everybody.

On the weekends, much of where the X17 serves is not served by any local route. To me, all weekend X17 buses should have to make the exit, but it would be a flag stop (on request to the operator or passengers on sight).

Well, it's not really an issue of not having local service, but more of an issue of it being too time-consuming to make the trip via the local bus.

You've mentioned it in the past several times how you took that route.

LOL... That's your problem. Everything I say you take it and run with it. If you want to believe I backtracked then suite yourself, but I think I know my commute far better than you do. You only know about what I choose to state and even then you don't really know.

First of all, you've told me it was you in a PM, and that guy's attitude, speech patterns, etc are exactly the same as yours, so you're not fooling anybody. You can deny it all you want, but I distinctly remember you telling me you were crankyjoe.

LOL... Well it wouldn't be the first time you were wrong, but sure if that's what you think. That guy has been posting there for years and I'm assuming you're going off of whatever is left of the archives, but I recall him somewhere talking about his wife or something to the effect. Last I checked I wasn't married. :lol: The part about me PMing you about that... LOL... I think you're rather confused, but yeah if you believe that then sure.

Yes, they're outsiders because the portion of the route in question is DROP-OFF. I don't care what type of riders they are they are all outsiders as far as I'm concerned, so so much for this "undertone" you keep talking about.

You're saying how it's so "simple" to just backtrack through Manhattan. Yeah, it's possible, but it's not "simple". You're adding a good 40 minutes to your travel time plus the amount of time it takes to transfer. That's simple to you? And you're paying an extra fare to boot.

Well for some that would be simple. Depends on the individual. The lady that backtracks with the X30 and the X14 certainly adds a good amount of time on to her commute, but she still does it, so it depends on the person in question. She obviously doesn't want to deal with the local bus. That part is very clear.

LOL... Well it wouldn't be the first time you were wrong, but sure if that's what you think.

No, that's what I know. I could write a book with the proof that it's you, even if you hadn't told me.

* Conveniently, the guy happens to have the same exact attitude about express buses and taxpayers and all that

* He happened to have the same exact experience going into Port Richmond to take the X10, and he "conveniently" happens to live in West Brighton and take the X14 & X30 the way you did. Oh, and around the time you talked about taking car service to the X2, the guy also had his wife drive him to the X2.

.....but yeah, it's not you even though all the evidence points to the contrary.

Yes, they're outsiders because the portion of the route in question is DROP-OFF. I don't care what type of riders they are they are all outsiders as far as I'm concerned, so so much for this "undertone" you keep talking about.

So how do you know that the people in question (who took the X17 from SI to Brooklyn) were "outsiders"? How do you know they weren't people who would've taken the local bus if it were more convenient?

Well for some that would be simple. Depends on the individual. The lady that backtracks with the X30 and the X14 certainly adds a good amount of time on to her commute, but she still does it, so it depends on the person in question. She obviously doesn't want to deal with the local bus. That part is very clear.

Except that in this case, there's no good reason. The X30 has an alternative (at least as far as this rider is concerned), which is the S48. What's a good alternative for the X17? Take the S53 to the S62 and add 40 minutes to your travel time? Take the S53 to the S44, or S79 to the S44/59 and add close to an hour to your travel time? And Heaven help you if you live on the South Shore.

Doesn't anyone enjoy this :D (somewhat sarcasm)

Well, it is relevant because the thing that we're discussing is the issue of the stop in Brooklyn being drop-off only.

Are you kidding.... It's not like the victory blvd stop on the "via NJ" express routes where the adjacent exit/entrance ramps seldom see backups (getting back on the west shore expwy during the rush after making that stop though, is more of a problem w/ that).....

But yeah, SB exit on the gowanus leading up to 86th st in the late afternoon/early evening hours... lol... That is a busy exit.....

Too much time would be lost on the SI-bound x17c (which already lags within manhattan as it is)... You don't want buses making that stop on weekdays, nor do you want to put that in the back of a b/o's mind that someone might suddenly ring the bell for that stop - as buses are coasting on the gowanus (SI buses do tend to accelerate after the divide (belt/gowanus))...

Don't know how many times I've taken the x28 where we've been stuck on that exit ramp for 3+ mins at a time, before making that left at the light (86th/gatling pl)..... That traffic light I'm talking about is a rather long light too.....

Why are people from Brooklyn going to SI on an express bus?

Simple. They don't want to put up with the S53 or S79 for whatever their reasons.....

To each his own.

No, that's what I know. I could write a book with the proof that it's you, even if you hadn't told me.

* Conveniently, the guy happens to have the same exact attitude about express buses and taxpayers and all that

* He happened to have the same exact experience going into Port Richmond to take the X10, and he "conveniently" happens to live in West Brighton and take the X14 & X30 the way you did. Oh, and around the time you talked about taking car service to the X2, the guy also had his wife drive him to the X2.

.....but yeah, it's not you even though all the evidence points to the contrary.

LOL!! This is just too funny. I don't know when you started reading those threads but like I said that guy has been around for some time now. In any event, there are certainly plenty of folks on Staten Island with similar views on the express bus and politics. With regards to the other stuff, I really wasn't paying attention enough to this guy to remember all of that but with the amount of clowns on that website I wouldn't take anything too seriously that they say, but you clearly believe everything you read on there. Pretty sad that you're that guillible.

So how do you know that the people in question (who took the X17 from SI to Brooklyn) were "outsiders"? How do you know they weren't people who would've taken the local bus if it were more convenient?

I don't know why you're bringing this up. What part about Drop-off segment of the route is not clear to you? That's what I talked about and only that when that comment was made. If the bus is supposed to dropping off only then that means NO pick ups, hence anyone trying to get on when the bus is supposed to be dropping off only would be an outsider, period. What part about that don't you get???

Except that in this case, there's no good reason. The X30 has an alternative (at least as far as this rider is concerned), which is the S48. What's a good alternative for the X17? Take the S53 to the S62 and add 40 minutes to your travel time? Take the S53 to the S44, or S79 to the S44/59 and add close to an hour to your travel time? And Heaven help you if you live on the South Shore.

Well whatever her reasons are that's her business and I doubt she really cares what you think about how she commutes, especially since she's paying for it.

LOL!! This is just too funny. I don't know when you started reading those threads but like I said that guy has been around for some time now. In any event, there are certainly plenty of folks on Staten Island with similar views on the express bus and politics. With regards to the other stuff, I really wasn't paying attention enough to this guy to remember all of that but with the amount of clowns on that website I wouldn't take anything too seriously that they say, but you clearly believe everything you read on there.

LOL. I've said in the past that if I believed half the stuff they put on there, I'd have to wear a bulletproof vest on my way to school, and I'd have a burning cross on my lawn by now. This has nothing to do with "believing" the stuff they say (because I don't believe your views about express buses & taxpayers and all that, so why should I believe the views of most of those members?). This has to do with you being the guy on the site and not wanting to admit it. You've talked about how if you had to go to Morris Park, you'd take the BxM1 down to the BxM10, so I wouldn't put it beyond you to suggest the X1 to the X27 (which would be even worse than the BxM1 - BxM10 for a number of reasons).

I don't know why you're bringing this up. What part about Drop-off segment of the route is not clear to you? That's what I talked about and only that when that comment was made. If the bus is supposed to dropping off only then that means NO pick ups, hence anyone trying to get on when the bus is supposed to be dropping off only would be an outsider, period. What part about that don't you get???

Oh, alright, then so that time when you took the X10 from CSI to Manor Road, you were an outsider then, right? And since you don't like outsiders being on your bus, you shouldn't have taken that bus, right? And that woman shouldn't be taking the X30 within SI because she's an outsider, then.

Aside from that, you talk about how "it's something that us express riders do". So somehow, they're getting on at a drop-off stop, and yet they're considered "us express riders". Then you start talking about how they're "outsiders". So yes, there was the undertone when you're talking about "us express riders", as if they're seperate & superior to the local riders.

Well whatever her reasons are that's her business and I doubt she really cares what you think about how she commutes, especially since she's paying for it.

The "no good reason" I'm referring to is the fact that the X17's Brooklyn stop is drop-off only. I wasn't talking about the woman who transfers to the X30.

LOL. I've said in the past that if I believed half the stuff they put on there, I'd have to wear a bulletproof vest on my way to school, and I'd have a burning cross on my lawn by now. This has nothing to do with "believing" the stuff they say (because I don't believe your views about express buses & taxpayers and all that, so why should I believe the views of most of those members?). This has to do with you being the guy on the site and not wanting to admit it. You've talked about how if you had to go to Morris Park, you'd take the BxM1 down to the BxM10, so I wouldn't put it beyond you to suggest the X1 to the X27 (which would be even worse than the BxM1 - BxM10 for a number of reasons).

Yeah well believe what you want then.

Oh, alright, then so that time when you took the X10 from CSI to Manor Road, you were an outsider then, right? And since you don't like outsiders being on your bus, you shouldn't have taken that bus, right? And that woman shouldn't be taking the X30 within SI because she's an outsider, then.

Aside from that, you talk about how "it's something that us express riders do". So somehow, they're getting on at a drop-off stop, and yet they're considered "us express riders". Then you start talking about how they're "outsiders". So yes, there was the undertone when you're talking about "us express riders", as if they're seperate & superior to the local riders.

Okay, this is the last time I'm saying this because you clearly have a reading problem. The discussion was about letting passengers get on at DROP-OFF portions on the X17, not about segments of the route that allow for pick up. I've already stated my opinion about it and I'm done. You can choose to go on and on if you want if it makes you feel better.

The "no good reason" I'm referring to is the fact that the X17's Brooklyn stop is drop-off only. I wasn't talking about the woman who transfers to the X30.

Well if you feel so strongly about it being a pick up stop you can complain to the (MTA) about it then.

Pretty sad that you're that guillible.

LOL. You're one to talk. You actually put stock in what they say: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/35626-my-bus-fanning-trip-thru-si-manhattan-and-bronx-62412sro-on-x17/page__st__20?do=findComment&comment=549143

"Those comments speak for themselves". So you believe the comments on SILive represent the views of an entire neighborhood, and I'm the gullible one. OK. :rolleyes:

Okay, this is the last time I'm saying this because you clearly have a reading problem. The discussion was about letting passengers get on at DROP-OFF portions on the X17, not about segments of the route that allow for pick up. I've already stated my opinion about it and I'm done. You can choose to go on and on if you want if it makes you feel better.

You mentioned a person who gets on the X30 during a drop-off portion. Aside from that, getting dropped off at a pickup stop is basically the same thing as getting picked up at a drop-off stop.

----------------------------------

BTW, 161passenger, around what time were you riding? (Just to get an idea of whether the lack of people going from Brooklyn to Manhattan was due to the time of day)

Archived