New X17 expanded weekend service

Via Garibaldi 8

You know VG8, if I was a B/O, I would want to serve my passengers as well as possible, so if someone wanted to get off where it wasn't a stop, fine by me, as long it wouldn't take more than 30 seconds. Thos B/O's are the best B/O's IMO. Also I really find it ironic, seeing how you for the most part shun local service, is complaining that someone else is doing the same thing. Although, i'm with you on the lights thing, being someone who's lost one too many things on coach buses before.

No, I'm complaining that we're being held up by it by having the B/O go out of his way to make a stop that doesn't exist. It's fine if they want to shun local service AND get off at an actual DROP-OFF stop, but don't hold everyone up and request to be let off at a non-stop that doesn't even exist before the drop-off segment begins. I mean what does he think this is friggin' car service?? You've got to be careful with that on express buses because other people will want the same service and the next thing you know the bus is no longer an express bus and is making stops all over the place. Imagine having an X17 make a stop-off in Brooklyn off of the Gowanus because someone doesn't want to take the local bus. That segment is supposed to be NON-STOP, which means just that. No stops over there. And believe you me, when that kind of nonsense happens people do get annoyed. We're paying for EXPRESS and that's what we want, otherwise we'd be on the local bus.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I'm complaining that we're being held up by it by having the B/O go out of his way to make a stop that doesn't exist. It's fine if they want to shun local service AND get off at an actual DROP-OFF stop, but don't hold everyone up and request to be let off at a non-stop that doesn't even exist before the drop-off segment begins. I mean what does he think this is friggin' car service?? You've got to be careful with that on express buses because other people will want the same service and the next thing you know the bus is no longer an express bus and is making stops all over the place. Imagine having an X17 make a stop-off in Brooklyn off of the Gowanus because someone doesn't want to take the local bus. That segment is supposed to be NON-STOP, which means just that. No stops over there. And believe you me, when that kind of nonsense happens people do get annoyed. We're paying for EXPRESS and that's what we want, otherwise we'd be on the local bus.

Was it on the route?

I took the 2pm NY-bound runs at 2pm and 3pm on Saturday and Sunday respectively.

On the SI-bound runs I took the 6 and 7pm runs for my short trips.

Again for me, on the weekends the additional stop is no problem for me, even though I get on/off at the beginning of the route on Staten Island. On weekends I am usually not in a rush. I'm sure I'll go into Manhattan on Saturday and will probably be on the 9am x17 Sunday run. I'll share my observations.

For me I am very pleased with the new Sunday service. I no longer have to walk 1.25 miles from Eltingville Transit Center to/from my house. Also, if the additional stops can generate additional ridership/revenues needed to justify the added runs, the better. I dont know how the optimal number of ridership MTA targets for, but NJT eliminated/reduced service on routes that averaged 16 passengers instead of 35 their system-wide average.

As for the bus lighting issue: IMO NJT has it right, on the 161 when I took the 10pm /11pm/12a/1a runs towards Paterson, the B/O kept the lights off at night unless there were standees. When someone requested a stop, the B/O turned the lights a few minutes before arrival at the requested stop and then turned the lights off when the passenger fully disembarked or boarded and seated. With NJT, at least on the 161, passengers don't typically get up until the bus comes to a full stop at their requested stop, unlike MTA express buses when people are ready to jump out at the first chance.

Personally, on the early-AM runs and late evening PM routes I prefer the lights off so I can sleep. The only ONE reason I can tolerate the x23/x24 (Atlantic Express) is that most operators keep the lights off during the express portion of the runs.

All I'm saying is (in the original post of mine you decided to reply to), don't tell me SI-ers have such long commutes and then in the same breath make a case that supports the exacerbation of SI riders' commutes on one particular bus route.....

Well, I've never agreed with this whole idea of "SI commuters have such long commutes and we're the forgotten borough and yadda yadda yadda." That was Gorgor who said that "I agree 100% that SIers have long commutes", not me.

We're paying a premium fare for a reason and if I wanted to make stops here and there I could take the subway or the local bus. Express means just that "express" and I want to get to my destination as quickly as possible without additional stops being made that aren't part of the route. (MTA) Bus is especially strict about only making drop off stops where the stops exist and if the guy wanted a stop that wasn't part of the drop off stops, then he could've gotten off at the first stop and walked the 10 or so blocks or taken the subway or the local bus. The B/O had already irked me having all of the damn lights out when I boarded with a pitch black bus creating what was a dangerous situation, as several people almost sat on each other because they couldn't see. On top of that he goes and pulls that stunt, so yeah he just rubbed an womb raw that was already open.

So hold on. It's alright for you to take the X10 to a stop that's not "part of the drop-off stops", and yet when somebody else does it, it's not alright? If B/Os were doing everything "by the book", you wouldn't have been allowed to get off that bus. If you get on a NICE bus, you can't ride it within Queens, so it's the same thing here with riding the express bus within SI (unless you're going to one of those transfer points, which wasn't the case here). It doesn't matter whether it wasn't an actual bus stop. If you want B/Os to follow the rules by the book, then you have to apply that standard everywhere, not just when it suits you.

Some things you have to just let slide. I've had limited drivers make stops at local stops when they shouldn't have. It added an extra 30 seconds to my trip time, but that's not worth complaining about. What were you in a rush to get to anyway? You said you don't ride local buses in The Bronx, so you weren't rushing to make a transfer.

Oh, and it's "wound", not "womb".

As far as the lights go, it was probably so the "regulars" on the bus could sleep from the first stop instead of having the lights on until they got to the express portion.

You wrote earlier that the B/O said he keeps the light off because people complain? Then I get why he does that, his "Regulars" want the bus a certain way and he tries to do that. It sounds like in this case you are the "Outsider". :P In any case weren't you the one a while back bitching about the NJT drivers either leaving the lights on or turning them on and off during stops. At this point my answer to you is either buy a car or take the next (MTA) Bus test and operate the bus the way you want.

This. Like I said, when a B/O breaks the rules and it suits him, he's fine with it, but when it benefits other people, it's not OK.

You can slam me all you want, but the one thing I've learned is that if you keep your mouth shut, you will be walked all over. We have the good service because we speak up. Now relaying this back to the X17 while I think it's good for X28 riders to have something, if I was a regular on the X17 I would be pissed about this new set up and would be making a stink. Like I said we're paying a premium for a reason and certain things are just not acceptable. Public transit or not. You're free to slam me all you want, but I stand by my comments 100%. There are certain things that are no-nos on the express bus.

Good thing you're not a regular on the X17 then. I have no problem with that one extra stop on weekends, and I actually live near the route, unlike you. 161passenger has actually used the route and lives all the way near the end, and he has no problem with it. For all we know, the X17 Sunday service was dependant on the Brooklyn stop being implemented.

What do you mean?

He's asking if the bus had to divert from the route to drop off the passenger.

So hold on. It's alright for you to take the X10 to a stop that's not "part of the drop-off stops", and yet when somebody else does it, it's not alright? If B/Os were doing everything "by the book", you wouldn't have been allowed to get off that bus. If you get on a NICE bus, you can't ride it within Queens, so it's the same thing here with riding the express bus within SI (unless you're going to one of those transfer points, which wasn't the case here). It doesn't matter whether it wasn't an actual bus stop. If you want B/Os to follow the rules by the book, then you have to apply that standard everywhere, not just when it suits you.

Some things you have to just let slide. I've had limited drivers make stops at local stops when they shouldn't have. It added an extra 30 seconds to my trip time, but that's not worth complaining about. What were you in a rush to get to anyway? You said you don't ride local buses in The Bronx, so you weren't rushing to make a transfer.

You can get off of the express bus anywhere so long as it is a pick up stop. It doesn't have to say "Transfer Point" for you to be allowed to get off esp. on Staten Island. If that's the case then the folks I see getting off at pick up stops would be in a world of hurt.

As for your second point, not route was mentioned, so I don't know where you got the Bronx from. In any event, it really isn't any of your business where I was going.

You can get off of the express bus anywhere so long as it is a pick up stop. It doesn't have to say "Transfer Point" for you to be allowed to get off esp. on Staten Island. If that's the case then the folks I see getting off at pick up stops would be in a world of hurt.

Really? Show me the proof that it's officially allowed. There's a difference between B/Os letting passengers do it and actually having it be allowed by the MTA rules.

As for your second point, not route was mentioned, so I don't know where you got the Bronx from. In any event, it really isn't any of your business where I was going.

I figured you were going back home to The Bronx. In any case, you say that like I give a f**k where you were going. That was a rhetorical question, smart one. My point was if you weren't late to work or you didn't miss a transfer due to the B/O spending an extra 30 seconds at the stop, then what's there to complain about? You're sitting there in a soft seat on a quiet bus for an extra 30 seconds. Big deal.

Really? Show me the proof that it's officially allowed. There's a difference between B/Os letting passengers do it and actually having it be allowed by the MTA rules.

Show me proof that it's officially not allowed. :lol:

I figured you were going back home to The Bronx. In any case, you say that like I give a f**k where you were going. That was a rhetorical question, smart one. My point was if you weren't late to work or you didn't miss a transfer due to the B/O spending an extra 30 seconds at the stop, then what's there to complain about? You're sitting there in a soft seat on a quiet bus for an extra 30 seconds. Big deal.

As for your other comment.... Well since you're so at "figuring" things, I'm sure you know what they say when you assume things... :D

Show me proof that it's officially not allowed. :lol:

Check out any MTA Bus schedule and it will say "Pick-Up Only".

As for your other comment.... Well since you're so at "figuring" things, I'm sure you know what they say when you assume things... :D

Well, my point still stands. I highly doubt you missed your transfer or were late to work because of the B/O making the extra stop.

As for "figuring" out things, you're right. I am pretty good at it. But hey, I have to give credit where credit is due: You make it very easy for me.

That's MTA Bus not NYCT... We were talking about Staten Island... :D

You mentioned it in this very thread.

I'm sure they already do that now. It's just unofficial.

Aside from that, I'm not a B/O, but I'm sure they have a note on their paddles or in the rulebook that says it's not allowed. I mean, that's the whole point of "closed-door service": Not to use it for travel within a certain service area (in this case, SI).

Check out any MTA Bus schedule and it will say "Pick-Up Only".

Very funny... But we're not talking about MTA Bus... We're talking about NYCT... Show me a NYCT schedule on Staten Island that says that...

Well, my point still stands. I highly doubt you missed your transfer or were late to work because of the B/O making the extra stop.

As for "figuring" out things, you're right. I am pretty good at it. But hey, I have to give credit where credit is due: You make it very easy for me.

You don't have a point because you don't know anything about where I was going or what happened other than that someone was dropped off at a non drop off stop. That's all you know, so you really don't know anything about the situation so just stop pretending like you do.

You mentioned it in this very thread.

I'm sure they already do that now. It's just unofficial.

Aside from that, I'm not a B/O, but I'm sure they have a note on their paddles or in the rulebook that says it's not allowed. I mean, that's the whole point of "closed-door service": Not to use it for travel within a certain service area (in this case, SI).

That was in response to DROP-OFF service NOT pick up service. Boy are you slow.

1) Very funny... But we're not talking about MTA Bus... We're talking about NYCT... Show me a NYCT schedule on Staten Island that says that...

2) You don't have a point because you don't know anything about where I was going or what happened other than that someone was dropped off at a non drop off stop. That's all you know, so you really don't know anything about the situation so just stop pretending like you do.

3) That was in response to DROP-OFF service NOT pick up service. Boy are you slow.

1) Just because it isn't listed on the schedule doesn't mean it isn't a rule. All that shows is that they have a different policy as far as listing which stops are pickup-only and which ones are drop-off only (because once you're in the outer borough on an outbound bus, all the stops are officially drop-off only, even for NYCT)

2) In that case, oh well. So you missed your transfer or were late to work because he spent an extra 30 seconds picking somebody up. If that's not the case, then you were just doing it to be an ass.

3) Boy are you a self-hating racist.

In any case, express buses are a closed-door service. By definition, any B/O that's letting you ride within the same borough (with some exceptions like the BxM18 and the BxM1 stops in Inwood) is just doing it as a courtesy. I'm sure it's written somewhere in the drivers' handbooks or their paddles or in the MTA rules somewhere. What's the logic in not letting somebody on at a drop-off stop while at the same time, you're letting them off at a pickup stop?

Well, I've never agreed with this whole idea of "SI commuters have such long commutes and we're the forgotten borough and yadda yadda yadda." That was Gorgor who said that "I agree 100% that SIers have long commutes", not me.

Yeah, and that was the very person I directed that original reply to, to begin with.

I was calling out the inconsistency in that post of his.....

Then you jumped in quoting that same post of mine, asking is it worth inconveniencing a larger # of riders a small amt. of time, to save a smaller # of riders a larger amt. of time.....

In plain english, I know it wasn't you.....

My last reply to you, was letting you know where I was coming from in that original reply directed at Gorgor....

Staten Islanders already have the longest commutes in the country.

Nobody's forcing them to live there. If they're unhappy with the length of their commute, they're welcome to move somewhere that would give them a shorter commute.

We're paying a premium fare for a reason

Your "premium fare" covers only a small piece of the very high cost of the service. Your ride is subsidized by those subway and local bus riders you look down on.

Not correct. The pick-up zone is technically for pick-ups only. Some drivers, as a courtesy, may allow you to get off at a pick-up stop, but doing so slows down bus service for the other riders unless somebody happens to be getting on there as well.

Nobody's forcing them to live there. If they're unhappy with the length of their commute, they're welcome to move somewhere that would give them a shorter commute.

The point is that the express bus allows them to have a reasonable commute. No need to state the obvious. Some folks like living there for a more suburban life. That doesn't mean that they don't deserve rapid transit.

Your "premium fare" covers only a small piece of the very high cost of the service. Your ride is subsidized by those subway and local bus riders you look down on.

Pfft, please... Express bus riders and MetroNorth riders are for the most part fairly affluent and we pay some of the highest rates in taxes so I don't even want to hear that nonsense. I'm sure you count all of those farebeaters that mouch off of us as part of "sound taxpayers as well." <_<

Not correct. The pick-up zone is technically for pick-ups only. Some drivers, as a courtesy, may allow you to get off at a pick-up stop, but doing so slows down bus service for the other riders unless somebody happens to be getting on there as well.

Yes, technically is the key word... Staten Island is unique in that folks rely on the express buses and they do transfer ANYWHERE. (MTA) knows this... You have folks on the North Shore for example that may only have access to the certain parts of Midtown so they may need to get another express bus at some point and so they change to another express bus to keep their commutes within reason.

The point is that the express bus allows them to have a reasonable commute. No need to state the obvious. Some folks like living there for a more suburban life. That doesn't mean that they don't deserve rapid transit.

So suddenly making one extra stop no longer makes the service "rapid"?

Pfft, please... Express bus riders and MetroNorth riders are for the most part fairly affluent and we pay some of the highest rates in taxes so I don't even want to hear that nonsense. I'm sure you count all of those farebeaters that mouch off of us as part of "sound taxpayers as well." <_<

Farebeaters make up a very small percentage of local bus & subway riders. Aside from that, it's getting really old with this "taxpayers" crap (actually, it got old from the first time you brought it up). Yes, the farebox recovery ratio is lower. That's a proven fact.

Yes, technically is the key word... Staten Island is unique in that folks rely on the express buses and they do transfer ANYWHERE. (MTA) knows this... You have folks on the North Shore for example that may only have access to the certain parts of Midtown so they may need to get another express bus at some point and so they change to another express bus to keep their commutes within reason.

Good, because that means you were still doing the wrong thing by taking the X10 from CSI to Manor Road. You say that it helps with transfers to "another express bus"? Tell me what express bus you were trying to transfer to then. (I mean, you admitted yourself you walked over to Key Foods afterward, so you had no intention of making any transfer anyway). If you were trying to transfer to the S54, you could've just taken the S62 instead of the X10.

As far as the rest of your comment, you said it yourself: Technically is the key word. The driver is doing it as a courtesy to help you reach your destination faster, but if a supervisor was standing at the stop and saw him do it, he could get into trouble.

As for making transfers between express buses, yes there are official transfer points. You see some signs at stops like South & Forest or Richmond & Victory that say "Express Bus Transfer Point". This is going outbound, but I'm sure the're's an official rule that says it's permitted going inbound.

Like I said, I don't care about the fact that you used the express bus to travel within SI, but don't sit there going after drivers who didn't follow the rules when you yourself have caused some drivers to break them.

Good, because that means you were still doing the wrong thing by taking the X10 from CSI to Manor Road. You say that it helps with transfers to "another express bus"? Tell me what express bus you were trying to transfer to then. (I mean, you admitted yourself you walked over to Key Foods afterward, so you had no intention of making any transfer anyway). If you were trying to transfer to the S54, you could've just taken the S62 instead of the X10.

As far as the rest of your comment, you said it yourself: Technically is the key word. The driver is doing it as a courtesy to help you reach your destination faster, but if a supervisor was standing at the stop and saw him do it, he could get into trouble.

As for making transfers between express buses, yes there are official transfer points. You see some signs at stops like South & Forest or Richmond & Victory that say "Express Bus Transfer Point". This is going outbound, but I'm sure the're's an official rule that says it's permitted going inbound.

Like I said, I don't care about the fact that you used the express bus to travel within SI, but don't sit there going after drivers who didn't follow the rules when you yourself have caused some drivers to break them.

That stop has many folks that get off there so like I said, Staten Island is the exception. The fact of the matter is there are certain things that are okay and certain things that aren't and that varies depending on the situation. I've been riding express buses for quite a while now and we have our own rules (both written and unwritten) and ways that we do things, period and that's just the way it is. I was absolutely right to do what I did and certainly don't need to explain or have an "okay" from you of all people.

With that I've made my points. No need to keep going on and on with this nonsense.

You're joking. Paying $5.50 doesn't make you affluent.

You constantly complain about how the transit service sucks yet you're too stubborn (or maybe too poor) to buy a car. Look at the neighborhoods that most express buses serve and go ahead and tell me how rich those neighborhoods are. While there are a few wealthy neighborhoods with express bus service, most of them aren't. Express buses aren't for serving the wealthy; they're for serving areas where subway service doesn't reach or isn't sufficient.

You brag about how rich you must be because you spend $5.50 each way on an express bus... yet you don't see me bragging about how much I spend on car insurance and on garage fees for my BMW. Riverdale is a rich neighborhood compared to other neighborhoods in the Bronx, which doesn't really say much.

You're joking. Paying $5.50 doesn't make you affluent.

You constantly complain about how the transit service sucks yet you're too stubborn (or maybe too poor) to buy a car. Look at the neighborhoods that most express buses serve and go ahead and tell me how rich those neighborhoods are. While there are a few wealthy neighborhoods with express bus service, most of them aren't. Express buses aren't for serving the wealthy; they're for serving areas where subway service doesn't reach or isn't sufficient.

You brag about how rich you must be because you spend $5.50 each way on an express bus... yet you don't see me bragging about how much I spend on car insurance and on garage fees for my BMW. Riverdale is a rich neighborhood compared to other neighborhoods in the Bronx, which doesn't really say much.

LOL... Why don't we compare Fieldston to your beloved Upper East Side and then tell me about affluent. Riverdale also has MetroNorth riders and many MetroNorth riders earn 100k plus, so so much for your transportation argument. Plenty of folks are affluent and use public transit. My boss lives in your area and uses the local buses to get and from work. It's called convenience.

That stop has many folks that get off there so like I said, Staten Island is the exception. The fact of the matter is there are certain things that are okay and certain things that aren't and that varies depending on the situation. I've been riding express buses for quite a while now and we have our own rules (both written and unwritten) and ways that we do things, period and that's just the way it is. I was absolutely right to do what I did and certainly don't need to explain or have an "okay" from you of all people.

With that I've made my points. No need to keep going on and on with this nonsense.

Manor Road has a bunch of people getting off? That's news to me.

As for the rules, all that matters are the written ones. If a supervisor sees a B/O dropping somebody off in the pickup zone, they're not going to care what the "unwritten" rules are.

You don't need an okay from us? Then why are you sitting there trying to explain why you're right. First you say "Oh, it's not an NYCT policy" and then when that argument doesn't work, you just say it's an unwritten rule.

Archived