Bronx Bus Driver Assaulted by Fare Beater: MTA

mark1447

[float=left]post-5097-0-17634300-1348537435_thumb.jpg[/float]Police are looking for the fare beater who boarded an MTA bus in the Bronx without paying and assaulted the driver when questioned about the fare, officials said.

The MTA said the male entered the back of the Bx41 bus at Melrose and E. 162nd St. just after 8 a.m. Thursday.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-17634300-1348537435_thumb.jpg

I tell you most of these incidents are happening in the Bronx or Staten Island... And folks wonder why the Bronx can't shake the stigma that it has attached to it.

Your still apart of the Bronx. So don't make it sound like Riverdale ain't involved....

I remember a Bus driver told me a driver got attacked before around 231st Street (Kingsbridge/Riverdale border) on a Bx10. I don't know when. But a lot of this has been happening on KB routes, especially the Bx9.

Your still apart of the Bronx. So don't make it sound like Riverdale ain't involved....

I remember a Bus driver told me a driver got attacked before around 231st Street (Kingsbridge/Riverdale border) on a Bx10. I don't know when. But a lot of this has been happening on KB routes, especially the Bx9.

I spoke about the Bronx and Staten Island, so I don't know why you're talking about one specific neighborhood for and you don't know where I currently live, so no I'm not part of anything. The point is there is too much violence going on in the Bronx and this probably wouldn't have happened if they had shields up. The farebeating I don't get but what I don't really understand why is this happening so much in the Bronx? I mean seriously there must be something going on. All I hear about are B/Os getting the crap beat out of them up there and people getting shot and robbed and this is like becoming daily now on the news. Is it the poor economy or what??

I spoke about the Bronx and Staten Island, so I don't know why you're talking about one specific neighborhood for. The point is there is too much violence going on in the Bronx and this probably wouldn't have happened if they had shields up.

Well this sort of issue can occur anywhere. I'll put it at that. But totally needs to cut down.

The (MTA) is going too slow installing the shield. Most of the shields already installed are not as protective anyways. On the RTS/D60HF there is still a big gap, which a driver can still get attacked. The best shields around is the ones on the LFSA.

The (MTA) is going too slow installing the shield. Most of the shields already installed are not as protective anyways. On the RTS/D60HF there is still a big gap, which a driver can still get attacked. The best shields around is the ones on the LFSA.

That's all fine and good but the fact that this is occurring esp. in the Bronx IMO is troubling. I mean you could argue that maybe it is the economy but why isn't it happening in other boroughs like Brooklyn or Queens or even Manhattan? The incidents have mainly been in the Bronx and I don't understand why that is. Is it the mentality of folks or what? It's like they have no concept of normal behavior or something. I mean I'm from Brooklyn and there are ghetto areas but man I just don't know what it is about some parts of the Bronx that these folks are so wild and vicious. I saw a robbery on the news this morning somewhere in the Bronx and they beating the crap out of the laundry worker and I am like why are these vicious incidents so isolated to one borough??

What's worse I've heard nothing about more cops being put anywhere in the borough.

I hope there were cameras on that bus!

That and more cops on the buses. Some of these incidents are so vicious that obviously they're on the news but I've heard of some on Staten Island that don't make the news so it makes you wonder how many of these are happening? Since they've had more cops on the SI buses there hasn't been as many issues. Not sure why they're not doing this in the Bronx though.

That's all fine and good but the fact that this is occurring esp. in the Bronx IMO is troubling. I mean you could argue that maybe it is the economy but why isn't it happening in other boroughs like Brooklyn or Queens or even Manhattan? The incidents have mainly been in the Bronx and I don't understand why that is. Is it the mentality of folks or what? It's like they have no concept of normal behavior or something. I mean I'm from Brooklyn and there are ghetto areas but man I just don't know what it is about some parts of the Bronx that these folks are so wild and vicious. I saw a robbery on the news this morning somewhere in the Bronx and they beating the crap out of the laundry worker and I am like why are these vicious incidents so isolated to one borough??

As the fares go up, it gets worst. Then your gonna hear the same BS about being unable to afford it. I will admit it sucks dealing with an increase. But thanks to the farebeaters we can't do anything. Mainly in the South Bronx is where the most fare evasion occurs. Thats why I see a lot of cops in certain spots, especially during the PM Rush with all these students not paying.

I hope there were cameras on that bus!

I doubt otherwise they would of presented a clip of the attack.

As the fares go up, it gets worst. Then your gonna hear the same BS about being unable to afford it. I will admit it sucks dealing with an increase. But thanks to the farebeaters we can't do anything. Mainly in the South Bronx is where the most fare evasion occurs. Thats why I see a lot of cops in certain spots, especially during the PM Rush with all these students not paying.

But are they actually boarding the buses? I heard some of this cops patrolling is more show than anything. I saw the first fare inspector on the M15SBS ever the other day. It was quite a shock and she looked armed too. Someone said that now one of the actually is armed since some folks get crazy.

But are they actually boarding the buses? I heard some of this cops patrolling is more show than anything.

Boarding I can't say. I'm not sure if there are any undercovers inside. I've only heard from certain people that they have seen under covers on some routes pulling farebeaters out. I only witnessed three times in the Hunts Point section an officer yanking farebeaters, but this was in 2011 and another in the Spring of 2012. The most I see them is outside, but major stops.

The farebeating has got to stop, are there people at Fordham Road and Grand Concourse entering through the back of the bus? *coughBx1/Bx2cough*

As for the bus operator, hopefully he fully recovers and the cops catch that perp. Is it time to reconsider arming B/O's with tasers for protection?

Why the hell aren't there cops riding these buses? It's a known fact that crimes against the bus drivers are going up and the areas where it's happening the most, like The Bronx, needs to have cops riding these buses, in and out of uniform. I'm so tired of hearing about another bus driver getting their asses whupped when this shouldn't be happening in the first place. My prayers go out to the bus driver injured in the attack.

Why the hell aren't there cops riding these buses? It's a known fact that crimes against the bus drivers are going up and the areas where it's happening the most, like The Bronx, needs to have cops riding these buses, in and out of uniform. I'm so tired of hearing about another bus driver getting their asses whupped when this shouldn't be happening in the first place. My prayers go out to the bus driver injured in the attack.

Unfortunately folks are in denial... The attacks may be random in the Bronx but it doesn't help deter them if there isn't more of a police presence.

Won't cops upset people when the bus is packed.

Ok so would you rather have the bus driver getting his butt kicked and get off and wait for another bus or would you rather have some cops on the bus and be safe and have to deal with the crowding.

I don't care if people get mad at the crowding this is NY the most crowded and largest city in the country.

Ok so would you rather have the bus driver getting his butt kicked and get off and wait for another bus or would you rather have some cops on the bus and be safe and have to deal with the crowding.

I don't care if people get mad at the crowding this is NY the most crowded and largest city in the country.

The cops will have to move around.

Police are looking for the fare beater who boarded an MTA bus in the Bronx without paying and assaulted the driver when questioned about the fare, officials said.

The MTA said the male entered the back of the Bx41 bus at Melrose and E. 162nd St. just after 8 a.m. Thursday.

When the driver, 53-year-old Nelson Diaz, requested the fare the rider had neglected, the fare beater grabbed him by the neck and banged his head into a window, authorities said. The assailant then fled.

Police quickly responded to secure the scene after the injured bus driver pulled over.

"The cop pulled up after the bus driver pulled over, and the cop got on the bus," said witness Artie Albano. "He was talking to the bus driver, and [the driver] was turning his face to show the cop where he may have been assaulted."

Police said the attack was random but riders waiting on the line for Bx41 Thursday said it wasn't surprising.

"I've seen people be hostile toward drivers," said Angie Woods, though she had not witnessed incidents escalate to physical violence.

Diaz, who has been on the job for 24 years, was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital with a concussion. He's expected to make a full recovery.

The investigation is ongoing, and police are continuing to look for the attacker.

That in bold is what the TA will look at. Some drivers have learned to just let it be, and don't say anything. Now of course we don't know exaclty was said, but IMO nothing should have been said. TA says to just state the fare is $2.25, I say just don't say nothing. If you are getting a ride, and the supervisors says, "why didn't you state the fare is $2.25?, you just let them know, "it is unsafe to say anything about the fare, as you might get assaulted stating anything to a farebeater. But they can go and confront the farebeat, if they wish to do so"....... But still some drivers, are still confrontational about what isn't there's. I have rode buses where drivers do this, and I wanted to go and tell the driver, don't do that, it ain't worth you not getting home tonight.......

Police can do something about farebeats, and should do more, but alot of these assaults are being bout on by the driver, saying anything about the fare. I was in that seat, on that line for a pick, and know that area, and those persons who get on in that area.........

Archived