Bronx Bus Driver Assaulted by Fare Beater: MTA

mark1447

He's basically saying that if the bus is crowded, the cops would be taking up space, and that would annoy the passengers by cutting into the amount of space they have.

I would imagine maybe one or 2 cops max stationed randomly as opposed to a handful of them. The only way they'd be taking up space is people being too afraid of standing or sitting next to them. And frankly, I'd rather have a deterrent than a psycho on board.

That in bold is what the TA will look at. Some drivers have learned to just let it be, and don't say anything. Now of course we don't know exaclty was said, but IMO nothing should have been said. TA says to just state the fare is $2.25, I say just don't say nothing. If you are getting a ride, and the supervisors says, "why didn't you state the fare is $2.25?, you just let them know, "it is unsafe to say anything about the fare, as you might get assaulted stating anything to a farebeater. But they can go and confront the farebeat, if they wish to do so"....... But still some drivers, are still confrontational about what isn't there's. I have rode buses where drivers do this, and I wanted to go and tell the driver, don't do that, it ain't worth you not getting home tonight.......

Police can do something about farebeats, and should do more, but alot of these assaults are being bout on by the driver, saying anything about the fare. I was in that seat, on that line for a pick, and know that area, and those persons who get on in that area.........

I wouldn't read too much into the reporting. On Channel 7, they reported that the farebeater asked for a transfer after coming in the back door, the B/O just said the fare is 2.25, and got beat up. They explicitly said that the B/O was within the MTA guidelines in this case. But i agree, if it was me, I would say nothing at all. NOt like I'd be getting paid on commission. But I can see that getting asked for a transfer by a farebeater could make me just immediately go "huh" because it is so ridiculous.

Things are getting bad now and I notice it's a pattern that has been going on on mainly KB lines in the Bronx. The shields and cameras needs to be installed faster. i notice some of West Farms buses such as 294 have the shield but it would make sense to have all of KB's buses getting the shields first for the operators safety since it's the depot in which bus operators are constantly getting assaulted.

As for the NYPD, they need to step it up ASAP!

is the real reason people use bx1/2 other than those unable to use the subway of course due to the fact that they know they can get on for free? The bus is easier to farebeat so they use it instead of the (D) right?

Without a doubt. These people aren't dumb. They know that if they jump that turnstile it's a $110 fine...but if they use the bus they can get on for free and get a transfer...smh. They just posted the pick board for the general pick effective 1/7/13 and they cut the runs on the concourse even more; now at 73 down from 79 last year.

Without a doubt. These people aren't dumb. They know that if they jump that turnstile it's a $110 fine...but if they use the bus they can get on for free and get a transfer...smh. They just posted the pick board for the general pick effective 1/7/13 and they cut the runs on the concourse even more; now at 73 down from 79 last year.

serves those savages right they deserve cuts for not paying. Why can't they cut paper transfers? If you kill those paper transfers then you cripple farebeaters cause you can only farebeat so many buses till your luck runs out.

serves those savages right they deserve cuts for not paying. Why can't they cut paper transfers? If you kill those paper transfers then you cripple farebeaters cause you can only farebeat so many buses till your luck runs out.

They might as well kill off paper transfers and force EVERYONE to use a MetroCard... Which is mostly pointless as not everywhere in NYC has MetroCard Vending Machines and not everyone is willing to buy them at the local deli/bodega

They might as well kill off paper transfers and force EVERYONE to use a MetroCard... Which is mostly pointless as not everywhere in NYC has MetroCard Vending Machines and not everyone is willing to buy them at the local deli/bodega

You raise an interesting concern however to address this let metrocard unlimiteds and other metrocards be sold at all rail stations in queens and give people incentive to order their metrocards online for delivery. Also I have seen more driver shields but in brooklyn and on the B15 recently.

Archived