Scientists find marijuana compound fights cancer

mark1447

The medical effects of marijuana are completely overblown.

Marijuana is not an opiate, and will not magically kill all your pain. In fact, chemically, it needs to build up in your muscle fat over time to become effective, so you need to, shall we say, "ingest" it a number of times before it will even work well. It does not significantly reduce eye pressure or pain for glaucoma, like people think, and just about every fruit and vegetable has also been found to fight various cancers and pre-cancerous chemicals.

A lot of the pain-killing effect is just a placebo effect anyway, according to a number of studies in reputable journals, as opposed to the hand-out of those pot-heads constantly protesting in Union Square. Those give me quite a laugh

Another way of looking at this is the fact that the US prohibition on alcohol failed historically for so many reasons. That in itself should suffice to show why marijuana needs to be legalized. Why criminalize consumption of a plant? Sometimes I don't even think it's about the marijuana in itself but more of the fact that people are sick and tired of these defunct and draconian laws that are still in place. Of course it's all about control of the masses.

Another way of looking at this is the fact that the US prohibition on alcohol failed historically for so many reasons. That in itself should suffice to show why marijuana needs to be legalized. Why criminalize consumption of a plant? Sometimes I don't even think it's about the marijuana in itself but more of the fact that people are sick and tired of these defunct and draconian laws that are still in place. Of course it's all about control of the masses.

Prohibition is not at all comparable to the pot debate. Alcohol was a legal substance that was suddenly outlawed with little notice and certianly no time for cultural changes. Pot has been (in general) illegal in most places for a long time now, and the attitudes towards pot are much more variable than the attitudes towards alcohol at the time, especially in places like New York.

Saying pot is "just a plant" is reductionist--just because something is plant-based does not mean that it is healthy or safe. Just look at tobacco, which everyone agrees is bad for your health.

Some points I would like to make:

- Early anti-drug laws were written into law to regulate actual narcotics such as opium and its derivatives, such as heroin and morphine. Marijuana however even though it is really not a narcotic was erroneously labeled as such in these early drug laws. Because of trends in popular culture and the status quo, this association with marijuana as a 'narcotic' stuck, as a result, making marijuana a gateway drug while other even more recreational drugs such as tobacco, caffeine and alcohol became the legal norm (harmful these substances can be).

- Much of the anti marijuana movement that was prevalent in the 1930's (going back close to the era of prohibition) was because of the anti-Chicano and anti-Carribean movement that was taking place in major cities such as Chicago. Believe it or not - people during that time did not want non-whites settling in the big cities, so as part of a concerted effort they prompted for a ban on marijuana labeling it as an ethnic drug in effect. Of course this is not necessarily as much the case today with the American public, I'm just highlighting what happened historically. Don't kill the messenger.

Because of reasons like this marijuana is illegal today. Why does it remaim illegal? Because of the misconceptions people have with marijuana today that only losers, people in the ghetto and hippies historically smoke weed thanks to the negative light brought upon comsumption of what is in itself a harmless drug as I've just explained.

Finally you cannot compare marijuana to tobacco. Tobacco is a poisonous plant. Marijuana is not.

• 5 years later...

I have been diagnosed with glaucoma for almost a year now and I've been searching any alternative medicine that can help me then i came across this article that says marijuana can be used to treat and prevent glaucoma. I've been planning to try this kind of strain here in http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/copper-kush/ but i have no idea where to start or buy. Can you guys give me any tips or any ideas that can help me? Thank you!

Archived