Port Authority looking into possible PATH extension to Newark Airport.

DaTransitMan4608

Port Authority officials announced today they are exploring a potentially easier and quicker path to Newark Liberty International Airport for thousands of Jersey commuters.

The bistate agency is launching a study to assess the possibility of extending the World Trade Center-Newark PATH rail line from Newark Penn Station to the existing Northeast Corridor Rail Link, allowing access to Newark Liberty's AirTrain for terminal access.

"Extending PATH to Newark Liberty International Airport has been discussed for a generation," said Port Authority Deputy Executive Director Bill Baroni. "We are now moving this process forward quickly to bring together our PATH system, Newark Liberty International Airport, and Lower Manhattan. It is a regional win for all."

The project would generate more than $600 million in design and construction work while adding permanent jobs for the link's operation, according to a press release.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2012/09/port_authority_exploring_exten.html

Smart idea... I like this one.

Guess I'd be able to use my MetroCard to get on the AirTrain too, and same for those who have a Smartlink.

Metrocards could be a thing of the past on PATH, they are looking into distance based fares now.

:o True distance-based fares as in different fares for most station pairs, or just a Newark/Harrison surcharge?

I think it would work where you swipe or tap in at your starting station and do the same where you end your trip just like Boston and several other systems.

I think it would work where you swipe or tap in at your starting station and do the same where you end your trip just like Boston and several other systems.

Dont forget the DC metro as well. Personally if Path went to this distance fare system, stations in Jersey City and Hoboken should be in same zone.

I think it would be great for a true one-seat rapid transit ride from Manhattan to EWR. Would be great if some day (sigh), the same would be there to LGA and JFK as well. I wonder if R-160's could negotiate the Airtrain tracks, and if not, how drastic a job would it be to make that feasible. Then E or J or both could be routed to JFK. And an extension of the N line along Ditmars to reach LGA.....

I think it would be great for a true one-seat rapid transit ride from Manhattan to EWR. Would be great if some day (sigh), the same would be there to LGA and JFK as well. I wonder if R-160's could negotiate the Airtrain tracks, and if not, how drastic a job would it be to make that feasible. Then E or J or both could be routed to JFK. And an extension of the N line along Ditmars to reach LGA.....

My sides.

This plan has been around for a while.. Just waiting for progress. There is some space along the NEC to extend it.

That would be direct competition with NJT though...

Not much. Besides, commute time would add up, for those who use Path.

I dont find it a bad idea to send some or all 33rd St trains to Newark. A lot of passengers do transfer to/from 33rd/Wtc trains at JSQ.

Metrocards could be a thing of the past on PATH, they are looking into distance based fares now.

Damn! I hope the MetroCard would still work with that system, or MTA starts taking SmartLink sometime soon, because I'm not shelling out the $ for a SmartLink until I can use it with the MTA or at least some stations like the trial a few years ago with MasterCard Paypass.

Archived