RFP For 285 OTR Diesel Express Buses + 15 Option Order Buses

Cait Sith

I though the MTA was looking back to Suburban Transit coaches for express routes again given OTRs are more expensive to operate and maintain? If so, it's another example of the MTA changing its mind. But.....

I do like those Provost buses over the MCIs. Forget about the styling and look, but they offer a few small amenities (like power outlets) that could win over passengers in the convenience category. Still waiting for free wifi on board.

Maybe this is to be the last OTR order?

No, that's never been the case. MTA never said they were going back to suburban transit coaches. MTS sent MTA a NBQP proposal for the 49 seat 42.5 foot RTS Express, which is not a standard 40 foot suburban. MTA may not even take the RTS HF, and just opt for the low floor because it's not a 57 seater.

And OTR coaches are not that much to operate. They may cost more than the RTS Express, but I don't think the MTA will settle for 49 seats unless MTS offers them a deal they can't refuse. True, the RTS is cheaper, gets better fuel economy, and costls less, but it comes with the disadvantage of 8 less seats.

Archived