Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
FamousNYLover

Should MTA, NICE and Bee-Line introduce All-Door Boarding?

I was watching video from SFMTA about All Door Boarding and that got me thinking should MTA, Veolia NICE and Westchester County Bee-Line Bus Should Introduce All Door Boarding on busiest bus routes to speed up bus service if MTA replaces MetroCard with Smart Card?

Example:

Maybe, MTA, LibertyLine Inc. and Veolia could install SmartCard readers on rear/center doors of MTA, Bee-Line and NICE and upgraded their farebox to replace MetroCard with SmartCard.

Will this speed up boarding progress?

Not with the people in the area, this will create more revenue losses and there will need to be more personnel around to prevent fare beatings. I think the Metro-Card system works perfectly for now, as for SmartCards, it should be the same as the Metro-Card system but without inserting the Card, but tapping the Card instead.

Guest MTA Bus

Unless it is SBS, it will not work. That will make it so much easier for farebeaters to get on.

These types of payment systems are only successful (in terms of turn over from intial cost) if placed on a high volume route. The concept is, board the passengers faster, which allows for a higher average speed, and thus allows for a higher frequency of buses.

If you really think about loading and discharging patterns on the Bee-Line, the majority of passengers board in lower Westchester and discharge slowly while travelling to White Plains or discharge all at once at Subway stations. The only route I see benefiting from this would be the 20. This idea was once on the table, but there wasn't any money on the table to see this through.

I mean, SBS from the MTA seems to be doing fine, but they've been touting a 17% decrease of the average commuter travel time on those routes. Is 17% really worth the headache? I guess 17% sounds better than saying 2.3 minute less, haha.

• Upvote 1