Which bus route do you hate the most?

alekr

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't stand the B60. That route bunches up in Bushwick and by the time it gets sown to Brownsville, there's 2 (sometimes 3) buses coming in a row...on 15 min headways.

The route it takes is the main problem for it as Wilson Av is barely wide enough for 2-way traffic.

I would choose walking over the B60. Matter of fact, on Labor Day, I walked from Hegeman all the way up to East NY Av and beat the bus there.

Yeah, the B60 does have a bunching problem... and whenever I need it, I'm the one that ends up missing the bunches more often than not, waiting 20+ mins for a bus..... The only place where I don't have a problem waiting for a B60 is at the Canarsie terminal.... I seldom opt to ride the B60 out of WBP - seems like every other route arrives before the 60 does....

I love how there is no staten island buses...staten island poppin

Don't get too hype there now.... all it means is that most ppl. here don't ride SI's buses....

DAMN it's that bad???

I don't think the Q39 is long necessarily (distance-wise).... I don't have as much of a problem w/ all the turns it makes....

My problem w/ that route is that it's not reliable - at all.... virtually every time I use the route out of QBP, Court Sq, or Forest av (M), I'm out there waitin for a long time.... Over at Court sq., I should not be seeing 67's before 39's.....

Q3: Buses during the Rush Hours bunch/infrequent & w/crowding issues as a result (obviously). B/O's seem to slug down the route at long distances (except midnights.)

I'm convinced - b/o's crawl that route on purpose..... I don't think I've ever taken a Q3 that didn't crawl from JFK to the bus terminal (165th st).....

Yeah, the B60 does have a bunching problem... and whenever I need it, I'm the one that ends up missing the bunches more often than not, waiting 20+ mins for a bus..... The only place where I don't have a problem waiting for a B60 is at the Canarsie terminal.... I seldom opt to ride the B60 out of WBP - seems like every other route arrives before the 60 does....

Don't get too hype there now.... all it means is that most ppl. here don't ride SI's buses....

I don't think the Q39 is long necessarily (distance-wise).... I don't have as much of a problem w/ all the turns it makes....

My problem w/ that route is that it's not reliable - at all.... virtually every time I use the route out of QBP, Court Sq, or Forest av (M), I'm out there waitin for a long time.... Over at Court sq., I should not be seeing 67's before 39's.....

I'm convinced - b/o's crawl that route on purpose..... I don't think I've ever taken a Q3 that didn't crawl from JFK to the bus terminal (165th st).....

Then you need to take me with you on Q3 hehe it runs on time when I use it HAHA.

I cant stand about 7 routes in the Bronx. Missing runs, and late buses plague that borough! I don't know what the hell they are doing in the scheduling department, but those B/O have no real time to complete some of those runs. They barely get breaks on some lay-overs. God forbid one of then have to use the restroom after reaching the terminal 2 minutes after he/she was supposed to leave.Staten Island isn't too much better, and BusTime never seems to work when I need it. I like the app SchedNYC, which is linked to bus time, and has all scheduled arrivals for trains.

I cant stand about 7 routes in the Bronx. Missing runs, and late buses plague that borough! I don't know what the hell they are doing in the scheduling department, but those B/O have no real time to complete some of those runs. They barely get breaks on some lay-overs. God forbid one of then have to use the restroom after reaching the terminal 2 minutes after he/she was supposed to leave.Staten Island isn't too much better, and BusTime never seems to work when I need it. I like the app SchedNYC, which is linked to bus time, and has all scheduled arrivals for trains.

which lines?

my all time least is the Q47, before it merged with the Q45.

I went to Msgr. McClancy High School, and there were days when walking the six very long blocks uphill to the subway was quicker than waiting for the bus. some knucle head in schedualing set the one tripper we got to about 2 seconds after the last bell. If you weren't packed and set to leave before last period, you were SOL. It was even worse in Senior year. One of the perks was we only had to stay for six periods instead of 7 (I was eating lunch at like 10:30), and there were times where waiting for the bus basicly undid that perk.

What do you mean by Bus Time not working on Staten Island? It works just fine for me. Is it specific lines or what? Local bus lines esp. that have newer buses can be a problem if they don't have GPS installed on them, but other than that I don't have any problems. To be honest if you're using an app for BusTime, you'd be better off just using a good old web browser like Chrome (desktop version). It's a bit of a PITA to navigate since there is no scroll bar, but I get around that just fine with a few tricks. I wrote to Bus Time complaining about it, but they basically told me that it isn't a huge priority. Maybe I'll write into them again and see what they say.

the Q77 and Q84 is the 2 worst bus in the whole system these 2 bus never show up on time they come when they feel like it

Well blame Q84's infrequency and duplicate parts. Q77 yeah that line blows hard but you can't possibly expect a line at 179th (F) down hill side serving frances lewis south of there to be on time look at it's structure and the surrounding lines.

the Q77 and Q84 is the 2 worst bus in the whole system these 2 bus never show up on time they come when they feel like it

In my experience, (the 77 is one of my home routes and the 84 isn't THAT far) The Q77 comes 2 minutes late when i wait for it at 169th or 179th, but that is normally good because then I just make it :lol: (the Q3 is the same too).. The Q77 is slow, because it takes a very indirect route and all, but it comes on time more than the Q3 and Q85 and even the Q5, based on experience and living down here in SE Queens.

Now as for the Q84, it also comes on time whenever I take it... although the route is kind of boring to me.. lol

Well blame Q84's infrequency and duplicate parts.

It's not about "duplicate parts" as to why the Q84 underperforms; the Q4, 5, and 85 all run along Merrick & they do quite well....

If it's anything to "blame", it's the portion of the Q84 that doesn't duplicate those aforementioned routes.... 120th av., etc. is all residential; private houses at that.... So outside of connections to other routes on that end, there's no real ridership generator.... This is why the 84 garners less than half the ridership of either of those 3 routes.....

In other words, the Q84 exists for coverage....

It duplicating the Q4,5,and 85 along Merrick to Jamaica Ctr. actually helps that route !

It's not about "duplicate parts" as to why the Q84 underperforms; the Q4, 5, and 85 all run along Merrick & they do quite well....

If it's anything to "blame", it's the portion of the Q84 that doesn't duplicate those aforementioned routes.... 120th av., etc. is all residential; private houses at that.... So outside of connections to other routes on that end, there's no real ridership generator.... This is why the 84 garners less than half the ridership of either of those 3 routes.....

In other words, the Q84 exists for coverage....

It duplicating the Q4,5,and 85 along Merrick to Jamaica Ctr. actually helps that route !

True it is mostly for commuters due to lack of trip generators good point.

lol.... You two are talking about 2 different time periods....

- They did propose cutting the Q84 outright (meaning weekdays & weekends).... that was in 2009..

That was back when they proposed cutting routes like the Bx4, B25, & the Q56 because they paralleled subway lines... I remember that...

regarding the 84, here's a screenshot of the PDF for visual reference:

55m.gif

- The proposal to cut the Q84 on weekends only was the 2010 revision of what was proposed in '09.....

It went from an all out route discontinuation, to having the route run only during the weekday rush, to having the route only run 5 days a week.....

Damn, if only it had occurred to me to save that original 2010 reductions booklet as a PDF. I didn't realize you could do that until recently.

Anyway, I have the service reductions booklet from March 2010 in front of me. It says:

"Bus Reductions No Longer Under Consideration (These Actions Will Not Occur)"

Q84: Discontinuation of all except weekday peak service (restored to 7-day service)

So apparently, when they first proposed it, they wanted to cut it completely, then I guess after the hearings, they said they'd cut it back to rush hours, and then when they revised it in 2010, they went and saved in completely. So there was no time when it would've just been weekdays only.

The B25, Bx4, & Q56 were apparently saved in one shot, because they have them listed down as "Discontinuation of all service" (as something that would not occur).

So apparently, when they first proposed it, they wanted to cut it completely, then I guess after the hearings, they said they'd cut it back to rush hours, and then when they revised it in 2010, they went and saved in completely. So there was no time when it would've just been weekdays only.

I'm not following....

"They only wanted to cut weekend service" is the same thing as having the route run "just been (running on) weekdays only"....

What I first thought (before I read the booklet):

They originally wanted to cut weekend service (and leave weekday service alone).

What was the case after I read the 2010 booklet:

They wanted to cut weekend service and weekday off-peak service.

Then you brought up the 2009 booklet which said that they wanted to eliminate it completely, so sometime between the 2009 reductions and 2010 reductions, they said "Instead of cutting it completely, we'll cut it back to rush hours".

So basically, you can ignore Post #65 because I didn't remember it correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived