Amtrak to test 165 mph speeds on NEC starting tonight!!

mfs NJT459

[float=left]post-5097-0-29606900-1348568898_thumb.jpg[/float]Blink and you might miss it. An Amtrak Acela train is set to reach record speeds of 165 mph on a test drive between Trenton and New Brunswick tonight, in preparation for high-speed rail on the Northeast Corridor.

This ride will make Great Adventure’s heart-pounding Kingda Ka roller coaster at a mere 128 mph look like a kiddie ride.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-29606900-1348568898_thumb.jpg

It's good to hear that Amtrak is getting more diligent on speed and such. I never been on the New York <-> Boston section, but from the looks of Rhode Island and Southeast Massachusetts, including the portions I've been on (New Brunzzie to Trenton in the Garden State and Perryville to Wilmington in the Delmarva Area. I think Amtrak is ready for 160MPH, just need some track smoothing out and some safety oriented maintenance, it's ready for the epic speeds!

It's good to hear that Amtrak is getting more diligent on speed and such. I never been on the New York <-> Boston section, but from the looks of Rhode Island and Southeast Massachusetts, including the portions I've been on (New Brunzzie to Trenton in the Garden State and Perryville to Wilmington in the Delmarva Area. I think Amtrak is ready for 160MPH, just need some track smoothing out and some safety oriented maintenance, it's ready for the epic speeds!

They need more than that. All the signals have to be moved to allow greater spacing. Top speed between County (MP 32.8) and MP 54 is 135 mph. They must be running the train at night to ensure there's no train ahead of it that would cause the signal system to display anything less favorable than Clear. Anything less than Clear requires a 20 pound brake reduction and the speed to drop to 30 or 45 mph (depending on the signal) before reaching the next signal.

The acela is capable of higher speeds than the metroliner and turbotrain. MSTS modelled it topping out at 180 which is not unreasonable giving the Acelas stats and comparable Trains with similar stats.

If there were a way to race them for flat-out top-end speed.....I would not bet against the 'jet'..... ;)

• 2 months later...

I've seen it in videos. Its awe inspiring to see these trains in motion at such high speeds. It's about time. The US railroads are catching up with Europe and Asian with going high tech and high speed. Now that's something I would love to railfan one day if I ever have to travel ouit of state for whatever reason to visit family.

Correction on grammar: Asia, not Asian. Oops.

Archived